PDA

View Full Version : Am I a saw blade "addict"

dennis thompson
05-03-2015, 9:14 AM
So I'm reading the thread on saw blades, see several that look interesting and begin looking at different recommended blades from various suppliers. I must have spent at least a half hour browsing through different blades. Then it dawned on me...I don't need any new blades, I have 8 or 10 already and they all work fine. Am I a saw blade addict?

Julie Moriarty
05-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I remember a cousin of mine who had just gotten engaged. I caught him oogling some girl. He turned to me and said, "Just because I made my selection doesn't mean I can't browse through the catalog." You could apply that to your saw blade attraction. ;)

Brian Hale
05-04-2015, 6:11 AM
....... I have 8 or 10 already........... Is that all??? You definitely have a problem! ;)

glenn bradley
05-04-2015, 8:12 AM
I have no need for any more sockets / socket sets. Still, every time I walk through the tool aisle I finds myself stopping to look at socket sets??? Other things come and go as far as temporary fascination but, sockets sets continue to attract some base element of my brain. We are complex animals are we not?

Bill Graham
05-04-2015, 9:23 PM
If you're talking table saw blades, probably not. Different materials and cut direction matter when you want the best results.

I stick with Freud Industrial blades for the table saw, I have 3 rip blades(24-tooth in thin kerf and their 30-tooth glue-line rip in thin and full kerf), an 80-tooth crosscut, 80-tooth plywood and melamine, 80-tooth double-sided laminate/melamine and their 80-tooth plexiglass and plastics blade. Oh, and there's the 40-tooth combo blade that came with the saw that's never been used... So I have 8, bought at different times for different uses(except for the rip blades, I love trying out rip blades ;) ).

If you're talking all saws you're woefully under-equipped with only 8-10 blades. In my shop the TS55 is down to 2 blades(since I tried to saw through the MFT-3 guide rail bracket with the Tenyru, my favorite :( ), the Kapex has three: the stock blade, the Festool aluminum blade, and the Forrest ChopMaster. The 8-1/2 Hitachi has three as well: stock, 60-tooth wood and 60-tooth aluminum. And a handful of blades for the Makita circ saws.

Occasionally I find a blade I don't remember buying, I think they procreate when I'm not paying attention. ;)

Fun topic, I wouldn't consider you an addict!

Best,
Bill

David Ragan
05-05-2015, 7:58 AM
That link that Ian Mayberry posted on my Countersink topic did me no good at all. Beautiful tools. Pricey. Reason came in, though, and I did not order anything yet.

So, Ian would be an enabler?