PDA

View Full Version : past wax to protect cauls

Jeffrey Cole
05-02-2015, 3:18 PM
I just built some cauls to glue up a table top. If I use Johnson's past wax to protect them, will the wax effect any finish I will put on the table?
Thank you for your help!!
Jeffrey

Mike Henderson
05-02-2015, 3:32 PM
I don't know the answer to you question, but why not just put packing tape on the face of the cauls and you won't have to worry about that.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
05-02-2015, 3:49 PM
I don't know the answer to you question, but why not just put packing tape on the face of the cauls and you won't have to worry about that.

Mike

^^^^This^^^^

Wax should work fine, but why choose a constant-maintenance path? My packing tape is >15 years old and counting..........

Jeffrey Cole
05-02-2015, 3:59 PM
Thanks guys, I have some Scotch clear moving and storage tape. Is this the right tape?
Jeffrey

Mike Henderson
05-02-2015, 6:08 PM
Thanks guys, I have some Scotch clear moving and storage tape. Is this the right tape?
Jeffrey
Yep, that's exactly it.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
05-02-2015, 6:09 PM
Jeffrey

That's the precise critter I used, Jeffery - FWIW.

And, when glue gets glopped onto it, I take a card scraper and give it a swipe with a light touch - usually pops the glue off without damaging the tape, but there are some places where the tape has gotten damaged.

I figger after another decade or so, I might put down a new layer of tape. Or, maybe not......:p

Hoang N Nguyen
05-05-2015, 2:02 PM
From what I understand and do myself, Johnson paste wax is used by many to protect their cast iron tops on our machines and is stated not to affect wood when finishing. I think the case would be the same if it were applied on cauls as but as others have said. Packing tape is fast, easy and will last much much longer. I'm finishing up a table top glue up at the moment and my cauls after 4 glue ups have not shown any signs of glue on them yet.