PDA

View Full Version : Who else flies something?

Neal Clayton
05-02-2015, 1:42 PM
I haven't been on this forum in awhile, since finishing the work on the old house I was working on, just re-upped.

Thankfully I was able to find a more expensive hobby than buying electrically powered sawdust generators, though.

N595TC is me. You'll see me on flightaware puttering around TX, AR, and LA pretty regularly, occasionally to STL or SoCal.

Anyone else get a kick out of risking life and limb to punch holes in clouds?

John Coloccia
05-02-2015, 1:46 PM
I don't actively fly anymore...stopped a few years back. When I lived in California, I flew several times a week, though. Ride of choice was various flavors of Citabrias....7KCABs in particular. Mostly, I just enjoyed doing aerobatics. The wife enjoyed going places. The Citabria was pretty much the perfect compromise. Personally, I would have rather had a Pitts, but it doesn't travel well :)

Weeeeeeeee!

http://www.ballofshame.com/spin.mpg
http://www.ballofshame.com/rollwithme.mpg

Mike Henderson
05-02-2015, 2:02 PM
I don't fly any more but I learned in a Piper J-3 cub. No radio but it was an uncontrolled field. For that matter, not much in the line of instruments either. Gas gauge was a wire sticking through the gas cap, connected to a cork that floated on the gas. If you couldn't see much of the wire, it was time to get gas. Solo'ed in 64. Eventually gave it up because it wan't useful and I got tired of just boring holes in the air.

Mike

Neal Clayton
05-02-2015, 2:05 PM
Very nice, John, getting some aerobatic time is on the short list, we have a guy at my home base who used to fly the SR71 that gives people aerobatic lessons in a Citabria as well.

Mike, one of the funniest things I heard on the radio was a guy in a J-3 being told to circle due to traffic while landing in Lafayette, LA because there was a string of oilfield helos in front of him, so he shouted into his handheld that...

"I'm 62 and the airplane is 64, we don't have all the time in the world"

John Coloccia
05-02-2015, 2:41 PM
Very nice, John, getting some aerobatic time is on the short list, we have a guy at my home base who used to fly the SR71 that gives people aerobatic lessons in a Citabria as well.

They're about the most comfortable, pleasant planes you could imagine flying. Easily my favorite. You'll be addicted to them on your first flight, especially if you get a KCAB with the bigger engine in it. One of the ones I used to fly had spades on the ailerons, so it had a nice, nimble feel to it.

Kent A Bathurst
05-02-2015, 3:22 PM
I've been known to fly a wish lantern or two of a summer's eve...........but that probably does not count in this thread, right?

http://www.birando.com/assets/images/wish-lantern/eco-wish-lanterns/eco-wish-lantern-held.jpg

Dave Richards
05-02-2015, 3:56 PM
I haven't flown for a long time but I did my training back in the 80s at 21D in Minnesota. It was a great airport to fly out of because there was a huge variety of planes and I got to fly a number of them. I think my favorite was NX21962, the Spartan Model 12 which at the time was owned by the guy who owned the FBO. It looked big and clumsy compared to the more modern planes but it was like driving a big old Caddie. It was amazingly light on the controls, though. When it was in Minnesota it had green paint instead of the red that's on it now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Spartan_Model_12_Executive_NX21962_on_ground.jpg/640px-Spartan_Model_12_Executive_NX21962_on_ground.jpg

I also had quite a bit of time in various Globe and Temco Swifts like these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/Swift20.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/Swift16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/Swift21.jpg
(My photos but I got to log time in all of them as well.)

Jesse Busenitz
05-02-2015, 6:32 PM
My bothers fly 5' homemade rc planes.... made out of a weedeater motor and plastic political signs. And do they fly!!!

Myk Rian
05-02-2015, 8:58 PM
I've been known to fly a wish lantern or two of a summer's eve...........but that probably does not count in this thread, right?
Probably not kites either.

julian abram
05-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I used to bounce around some in C150's & C172s back in the 1970's. Got my private pilot an logged a few hundred hours but soon realized this was a pretty expensive hobby, especially for a poor college student. I learned you were pretty limited when you were only VFR rated, at the mercy of the weather on any trip or return trip. So I haven't flown in many years but still think about it once in a while. Another thing I began to realize along with the expense of flying you take on a boat load of responsibility and liability as a pilot.

Keith Westfall
05-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Private pilot in 1969 - Cessna 150, 180 and the Champ (145 horse)

Went commercial and flew the Bell 47 (learned on) Bell Jet Ranger (206) Bell LongRanger 206L1,& 3, Bell 204C (by far my favorite!) and the Bell 205.

35 years in the commercial arena, then hung it all up a couple of years ago. The 10 years prior to that in the maintenance end. Guess I got enough because I don't really miss it. Well parts of it, but not most of it!

64 and counting and now it's wood all the way!!

Steve knight
05-03-2015, 12:58 AM
I did rc helicopters for a few years. it was crazy hard to do I crashed so much. learning to fly upside down was so hard then trying it backwards was mind bending. but I never got past a certain point as my hands would just not do it. I played with light foam airplanes it is fun trying to hover a airplane. but to get an idea what a rc helicopter can do check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJXbr4KIIw&spfreload=10

Neal Clayton
05-03-2015, 2:30 AM
I haven't flown for a long time but I did my training back in the 80s at 21D in Minnesota. It was a great airport to fly out of because there was a huge variety of planes and I got to fly a number of them. I think my favorite was NX21962, the Spartan Model 12 which at the time was owned by the guy who owned the FBO. It looked big and clumsy compared to the more modern planes but it was like driving a big old Caddie. It was amazingly light on the controls, though. When it was in Minnesota it had green paint instead of the red that's on it now.

That's exactly why I wound up with my Commander. It's not as fast as Mooneys and Bonanzas are, but I have a center console for my diet coke, and deep leather seats that are not bolted directly to the floor so my legs don't go to sleep.

Started in 2011, had a Cherokee for a year after finishing my private, and this is my first step up. 37 hours into my instrument, should have checkride done in a week or so. Probably will do commercial as well, for the insurance savings. After that I don't know if I'll work on any other ratings. I don't really have a desire to fly for a living, just personal transport.

If one of you guys have about 4 mil that you're not using I'd happily buy a PC-12 with it, though.

I did rc helicopters for a few years. it was crazy hard to do I crashed so much. learning to fly upside down was so hard then trying it backwards was mind bending. but I never got past a certain point as my hands would just not do it. I played with light foam airplanes it is fun trying to hover a airplane. but to get an idea what a rc helicopter can do check it out.

That post reminded me of this, the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

NSFW language...Helicopter CFI saves kid's RC plane from a tree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ElGt6iAYw

Randy Rizzo
05-03-2015, 7:59 AM
I retired in 2010, for the last 10 years before retirement I flew one of Dassault's finest pretty much all over the planet.

Dick Latshaw
05-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Flew a bunch of different airplanes during my time in the Air Force, but this one was my favorite:

Neal Clayton
05-04-2015, 4:23 PM
I retired in 2010, for the last 10 years before retirement I flew one of Dassault's finest pretty much all over the planet.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Gulfstream is so synonymous with high end private aviation, whereas by the numbers the Falcon 50 (and its newer variants) looks to be a superior airplane in terms of cabin dimensions, comparable speed, and can still go from NY to London non-stop for a much more fair price.

Kevin Bourque
05-04-2015, 7:19 PM
Been flying for 20 years, mostly SEL. I pretty much stay within 200 miles. I really just like joyriding.

Phil Thien
05-04-2015, 8:00 PM
My neighbor flies jets for a large corporation based in Milwaukee. I find the work pretty fascinating.

Jim Andrew
05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
When I was young, thought that crop dusters were cool. Fortunately, I avoided getting into it. A buddy in college found a great deal on a Cessna, a few years after we graduated, he flew one way to Florida, went and bought the Cessna, and after he took off, found out why it was cheap. Managed to put it down without crashing, took off the fuel hose, blew through it and out came a bug. He still has the Cessna, but can't afford to put it back into use.

Martin Shupe
05-06-2015, 1:32 PM
Never, ever buy a plane without a pre-buy inspection by an unbiased A & P.

I have a 1946 C-140 in my hangar that needs a new engine. I have too many hobbies, and kids in college, so it will have to wait.

I flew several jets in the Navy.

TA-4J's, in training, were the most fun. There is nothing like flying low-levels at the speed of heat.
Flew S-3B's off the boat in the Red Sea during Desert Shield/Storm.
Instructed for 4 years in the T-2C. Not pretty, but a great jet for teaching and inverted spins.

For two years, I flew Baron 58P's for the US Forest Service as a Lead Plane pilot over fires all over the west.

At my current job, I have flown the 727, A-300/310, and 777.

I am also typed in the 737, but have only "flown" the simulator.

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-06-2015, 9:41 PM
Is Fly fishing counts?:D Always want to fly - but afraid of heights.

Ed.

Dick Latshaw
05-06-2015, 10:18 PM
TA-4J's, in training, were the most fun.

Always liked the look of the A4. But I tended to like most Douglas aircraft (C-133 not included).

At my current job, I have flown the 727, A-300/310, and 777.

I am also typed in the 737, but have only "flown" the simulator.

(Showing my age:))
My license says I have type ratings for:
Douglas DC-3, 6/7
Convair 240/340/440
Lockheed L300 (C-141)

James Gunning
05-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Stumbled across this thread today. Got my SEL in 1978 and went to Army flight training the same year. Flew Kiowas, Blackhawks, Hueys for 12 years. Hired by Comair and flew for them over 23 years until Delta shut us down in 2012. Now past 65 and 18,000 accident-incident free flying hours behind me. Loved it, but enjoying being home most of the time instead of the other way around.

Rick Potter
05-09-2015, 1:38 PM
Not a pilot, but I thought this might be of some interest.

My son, who is in his middle 40's, had a 1948 Stinson, in beautiful shape. He recently traded it to another pilot for a 1940 Fairchild, which at one time belonged to Howard Hughes aircraft company. He has the original log books, new to now, showing it was purchased used by the government and used to carry messages for various VIP's during the war. It is in beautiful condition. Tim says his favorite feature is the roll down windows.

75 years old, that's older than even me.

Neal Clayton
05-17-2015, 7:10 PM
Always want to fly - but afraid of heights.

Ed.

So am I.

The effect on your mind is different. 5,000 feet or 25,000 feet...it all pretty much looks the same. You don't even really appreciate ground proximity until you're down into final approach altitudes (~2000 above the ground).

I can fly approaches at low altitudes in turbulence for hours and it doesn't bother me. Now, rooftops and ladders? No thanks...

Curt Harms
05-18-2015, 9:22 AM
So am I.

The effect on your mind is different. 5,000 feet or 25,000 feet...it all pretty much looks the same. You don't even really appreciate ground proximity until you're down into final approach altitudes (~2000 above the ground).

I can fly approaches at low altitudes in turbulence for hours and it doesn't bother me. Now, rooftops and ladders? No thanks...

Funny, I'm the same way. Never did like ladders and falling off one as a youngster didn't help. Thank goodness it was cold and I was wearing lots of clothes. Only PITA with turbulence is keeping heading and altitude in the right neighborhood.

Randy Rizzo
05-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Boy I'd sure like to hear the psychology behind this, I'm pretty much the same way. Can't stand ladders and nervous as hell when I'm on the roof. Can't stand tight enclosed spaces. But, stick me in a metal tube at 40,000' bouncing all over the sky, not a problem!

Scott Shepherd
05-18-2015, 12:47 PM
So am I.

Well, in all fairness, ladders don't have much of a glide path ;)

I found it amazing, in the smaller planes, when you pull the power, and do the math, it might take 6-7 minutes before you'll hit the ground, and that's from fairly low altitudes. 6 or 7 minutes to find a place to land is a lot more forgiving then falling off a ladder :)

John Coloccia
05-18-2015, 1:36 PM
Well, everyone's always considered that I have an unnatural fear of heights, but I've never had any problem in an airplane, especially when I'm flying myself, and it really doesn't matter what I'm doing in it/to it. I think I actually have an unnatural fear of falling, which is generally not a problem in an airplane.

Brett Luna
05-18-2015, 4:55 PM
It's a bit out of date (I've upgraded my TPM panel) but here's an older shot of my "cockpit":

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s2/v61/p1166678130-3.jpg

Dennis Peacock
05-19-2015, 1:54 PM
I flew R/C airplane for years and was and R/C instructor for 2 years. I've always wanted to fly and I've always enjoyed flying. I have 4.5 hours in a 172 and 1 hour in a Mooney. I was able to take off and land on my first time out. Loved it.....but until I get my last 2 out of the house....it's out of financial reach for me.

Hey Neal........
If you EVER need someone to ride with you just for the fun of it? I'd love to go. :) :D

Tim Janssen
05-19-2015, 9:17 PM
Off the handle on occasion.
I guess that doesn't count.

Neal Clayton
05-21-2015, 4:40 PM
I flew R/C airplane for years and was and R/C instructor for 2 years. I've always wanted to fly and I've always enjoyed flying. I have 4.5 hours in a 172 and 1 hour in a Mooney. I was able to take off and land on my first time out. Loved it.....but until I get my last 2 out of the house....it's out of financial reach for me.

Hey Neal........
If you EVER need someone to ride with you just for the fun of it? I'd love to go. :) :D

Sure, we could do that. I go to NLR pretty regularly, I still have a house for sale up there. Next time I'm up, I'll take ya for a ride if you wanna go.

PM'ing you my email/cell in a sec.

Well, in all fairness, ladders don't have much of a glide path ;)

I found it amazing, in the smaller planes, when you pull the power, and do the math, it might take 6-7 minutes before you'll hit the ground, and that's from fairly low altitudes. 6 or 7 minutes to find a place to land is a lot more forgiving then falling off a ladder :)

Pretty much, yeah.

Here's the glide performance chart from my airplane's manual...

I typically cruise between 10 and 12k. So with a complete power failure, I've got at least 20 miles in me if I keep the wind at my back.

Looking at the map, it's just near impossible to be more than 20 miles away from an airport in north TX. And since cow pastures count as airports, in the daytime the odds are virtually 100% your favor as long as you follow the golden rule... (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/146/b/3/DON__T_PANIC_by_VigilantMeadow.jpg)

Kent A Bathurst
05-21-2015, 5:04 PM
Looking at the map, it's just near impossible to be more than 20 miles away from an airport in north TX. And since cow pastures count as airports, in the daytime the odds are virtually 100% your favor as long as you follow the golden rule... (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/146/b/3/DON__T_PANIC_by_VigilantMeadow.jpg)

Shoot -- I'd go for a ride if you promised to get to 12k, cut the power, and glide. If you are good with it, I will be too................

Neal Clayton
05-21-2015, 5:14 PM
Shoot -- I'd go for a ride if you promised to get to 12k, cut the power, and glide. If you are good with it, I will be too................

Ok but you have to remember the gear alarm.

On my last 2 year review (for those not familiar you have to go re-take an FAA exam with an instructor every 2 years to keep your license current), I was puttering along back to the airport we left from when the CFI yanked the power and said "ok find us a spot to land." So I casually pulled the nearest weather frequency to get a wind direction, got lined up on about 50 acres of pasture, and at 1000 feet he pointed out "you might wanna put the gear down."

I was always one of those people who couldn't wrap my head around how anyone could forget to put the gear down and tear up their airplane, but after a few minutes of the alarm going off, your brain just tunes it out. I have a little more sympathy for those guys after I almost did it myself.

As the old saying goes...

Q: "Why didn't you put the gear down when the tower controller called 'check gear' to you?"
A: "Couldn't hear em over that stupid alarm going off"

Scott Hearn
05-21-2015, 5:22 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out why Gulfstream is so synonymous with high end private aviation, whereas by the numbers the Falcon 50 (and its newer variants) looks to be a superior airplane in terms of cabin dimensions, comparable speed, and can still go from NY to London non-stop for a much more fair price.

They are considered the Rolls Royce of business jets and they seem to like that moniker.

I built the majority of the structural parts for the fuselage and empennage for the G4 and G5 series in my former career. They are super nice but like you I don't understand spending that much. I guess it's for those that just have to make a statement.

Kent A Bathurst
05-21-2015, 6:16 PM
Q: "Why didn't you put the gear down when the tower controller called 'check gear' to you?"
A: "Couldn't hear em over that stupid alarm going off"

:p :p :p

Perfect. I'm still in, Neal........

I have heard many great stories from the left seat - my big brother flew for the USAF, and then commercial - his last day is Sept 3, because he turns 65 on Sept 4.................

Scott Shepherd
05-21-2015, 6:51 PM
Neal, fly Kent backwards a little, he'll like that :) I found out that was possible when trying to do a stall on a windy day. Could not make the thing stall for anything. Was actually flying backwards.

It's really amazing just how safe the smaller planes are. People tend to think if you lose power, the nose dips over and it heads straight to the ground. It just generally doesn't work like that. Those things want to fly and stay stuck up in the air.

Curt Harms
05-22-2015, 8:12 AM
Neal, fly Kent backwards a little, he'll like that :) I found out that was possible when trying to do a stall on a windy day. Could not make the thing stall for anything. Was actually flying backwards.

It's really amazing just how safe the smaller planes are. People tend to think if you lose power, the nose dips over and it heads straight to the ground. It just generally doesn't work like that. Those things want to fly and stay stuck up in the air.

But - but - but the TV show I was watching said that's exactly what happens!

:rolleyes:

Dave Richards
05-22-2015, 8:45 AM
Ok but you have to remember the gear alarm.

Neal, when I was checking out in the Cessna 172RG, my instructor pulled the power on me. I didn't forget the gear but nothing happened when I moved the lever. While I was busy looking for a field he pulled the circuit breaker. It's kind of a challenge to pump the gear down while you're flying the airplane. Right hand pumping up and down, left hand on the yoke wants to move in unison. :D And you can't see over the glare shield while pumping.

When I turned final I asked my instructor if he was happy and he said, "Continue the approach." There was a farmer driving a tractor in the hay field going the same direction we were. we went by him about 50 feet up at a hundred knots. I was happy we had a plane with small tail numbers. :D

Neal Clayton
05-22-2015, 12:28 PM

We're not gonna pull that off without a stiff breeze! Maybe if we rented a 152 ;). Mine will stall at ~70 knots.

Neal, when I was checking out in the Cessna 172RG, my instructor pulled the power on me. I didn't forget the gear but nothing happened when I moved the lever. While I was busy looking for a field he pulled the circuit breaker. It's kind of a challenge to pump the gear down while you're flying the airplane. Right hand pumping up and down, left hand on the yoke wants to move in unison. :D And you can't see over the glare shield while pumping.

When I turned final I asked my instructor if he was happy and he said, "Continue the approach." There was a farmer driving a tractor in the hay field going the same direction we were. we went by him about 50 feet up at a hundred knots. I was happy we had a plane with small tail numbers. :D

I have only had to pull the emergency gear release in anger once in my few years of flying, and it turned out to be a minor issue (slow hydraulic leak, pump couldn't keep up). I have seen a tower controller save a King Air 200 on short final, though. That would've been an awfully expensive mistake. The guy was about 20 feet up and the tower controller caught it on the binoculars. Just in time to pull it up and go around. We were first in line for takeoff watching him and I didn't notice it at a glance either. I would hope that guy in the tower got a steak dinner for his troubles but I doubt the guy flying the King Air wanted anyone else to know what he almost did...