PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have One of These?

Tim Streagle
05-02-2015, 11:08 AM
The CL saw deal I found came with a Brett Guard. I used to see them advertised in the back of FWW. Never gave one much thought until now.

I love this thing. Mounts in less than ten seconds and adjusts quickly too. Mostly just dialing in the height. Almost all my smaller work on the saw can take advantage of it. I find I am more likely to faithfully use it than when I relied on my own shop-built safety guards. It must be pretty old but it works well. Thinking about a dust collection vent for it. Anyone else have one and also have other adaptations?

I guess I should look them up and see if they are still around...

johnny means
05-02-2015, 4:24 PM
It's great if this encourages you to work safely. That being said, I can see how this type of design would fail to catch on. It seems much too intrusive for my use. I usually push my off cut all the way past the blade. This style guard would hinder that as well as not let me pull the off cut back towards me.

glenn bradley
05-02-2015, 6:54 PM
Brett guards have been around for a long time. A good production guard but, not well suited for the home shop IMHO. The adjustment is a bit tedious and does not lend itself well to frequent changes or the "moments of inspiration" that occur in my shop. They offer a swing up version on a boom; I believe HTC resells them(?). They are a well made, quality product and certainly have their place.

Mark Carlson
05-02-2015, 7:08 PM
Brett does sell replacement shields with a dust port.

~mark

Tim Streagle
05-02-2015, 11:28 PM
The replacement shield sounds like a good thing. Thanks!