PDA

View Full Version : New EFR ZX-1250

Tim Walters
05-01-2015, 8:27 PM
Hi All,
After reading all the good words about these lasers, mine arrived today. However, not a single scrap of documentation was included. I assume that the electrical connections are the small screws on the sides of the end-pieces. The rear mirror assembly is enclosed by a plastic cap. I assume here that I'm supposed to pull this off to get to the connection screw. Also, from what I can find on the net, the max current should be 26ma.
Can anyone confirm any of this? Any additional info or links to documentation would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks much!
Tim

Dave Sheldrake
05-01-2015, 8:40 PM
Heya Tim,

Great choice! the ZX is a monster of a tube and performs very well.

Yup the small screw holes are where the wires attach and you do indeed remove the cover to fit the wire. Once the wire is fitted replace the cover and fill the small gap with silicon sealant to reduce the chances of arcing. The run current of that ZX tube is indeed 26mA

cheers

Dave

Tim Walters
05-02-2015, 7:36 AM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply!
Concerning tube-life ratings...
Do they mean beam-on time, laser power supply on-time, shelf life, or something else?
Tim

Dave Sheldrake
05-02-2015, 8:56 AM
Usually actual run time, machine power up time as such.

I wouldn't worry though, I treat my EFR tubes about as brutally as anybody would (run at 95% max) and even the older F2 series were lasting 5 years at a time, the current ZX1850 in one of mine still pumps 178 watts (its a 150 watt basic power tube) and is in use 16 hours a day for the last 4 years.

cheers

Dave

Tim Walters
05-02-2015, 9:31 AM
Thanks again, Dave.
I use an Ophir power meter, but it maxes out at 60W. What do you use?
Tim

Dave Sheldrake
05-02-2015, 7:17 PM
Coherent PC.2 Modemaster for M^2 analasys (water cooled attenuation)
Spiricon Dxr profiler for wave front imaging
Edmund optics 85-593 300 watt power meter (with extra attenuators if I need to measure anything over 300w)

cheers

Dave

Tim Walters
05-02-2015, 7:55 PM
I am -SO- not worthy!
:)
Nice stuff!
Thanks much for the info.
Tim

Dave Sheldrake
05-02-2015, 9:51 PM
Just work tools brother, just work tools :)