PDA

View Full Version : G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

Roger Chandler
05-01-2015, 1:18 PM
:D Just got word from CS @ Grizzly that the G0766 lathes have left the factory and are in fact "en route" and the expected delivery date for my unit is now ......get this, a week earlier May 15th! :) [mine will be the first one shipped]

Now, I know there are some others who were expecting to have it shipped on May 22nd as well, so this is good news! I thought those interested would at least appreciate knowing that a shipment has in fact headed our way! :D

Roger Chandler
05-01-2015, 1:22 PM
Lets wish for fair winds and calm seas! I want that boat floating and not running into any delays!!! ;)

Matt Schrum
05-01-2015, 1:28 PM
Awesome news! Did CS contact you or did you phone/email them? That'd be great if the lathes roll in a bit early :)

Roger Chandler
05-01-2015, 1:45 PM
Awesome news! Did CS contact you or did you phone/email them? That'd be great if the lathes roll in a bit early :)

I spoke by phone with a CS rep. I seem to have a feel for how they work, so for a couple of days I had thought about calling them, and decided since this was May 1st to go ahead and see if they were going to be a few days early, which I thought would happen all along, based upon prior results I had with previous purchases.

Hayes Rutherford
05-01-2015, 2:18 PM
Roger, that's good news. I have a question for you, it may have been mentioned in a previous thread. What country are they manufactured in? Are the castings from the same factory as Jet/powermatic?

Roger Chandler
05-01-2015, 2:39 PM
Roger, that's good news. I have a question for you, it may have been mentioned in a previous thread. What country are they manufactured in? Are the castings from the same factory as Jet/powermatic?

Hayes........I think they are, as the castings look so similar to the Jet lathes. The electronics & motor are from Taiwan by Delta electronics.....it is the M series sensorless vector micro drive inverter.......from what I am told the smoothest and best for lathes.

I am not absolutely sure on the castings location, but the same company makes both PM, Jet & Grizzly.

daryl moses
05-01-2015, 5:17 PM
That's great news Roger. I have a friend that has one on order, I hope he gets his soon as well. I can't wait to see it.

Hayes Rutherford
05-01-2015, 7:44 PM
Roger, my Powermatic says Taiwan so that's a good thing

Steve Huffman
05-02-2015, 12:13 AM
Great news there Roger, and others waiting for that matter. I know that the wait will be well worth the sweetness when you see that truck pull up to your shop!

Roland Martin
05-02-2015, 7:09 AM
Fantastic, hope it's all the lathe you're expecting, and then some! Am curious to read your full review after knee-deep chips.

Roger Chandler
05-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Fantastic, hope it's all the lathe you're expecting, and then some! Am curious to read your full review after knee-deep chips.

Thanks Roland! Its been a while since I saw a post from you......glad you are still hanging around the creek! I do plan to do a full review after a couple of projects on this unit......I will probably begin a post when I get it in and set up with initial impressions, then go to the full review after at least a couple of bowls or maybe a hollowform and a bowl.

Our club had a meeting this morning with a guy doing a hat demo........they have my G0698 set up and has been used for a couple weeks or so, and when I went by it, I patted it on the bed.......got a smile from a friend who has been in my shop numerous times over the last few years. Funny........that lathe looks bigger in the setting of our club space than it did in my shop! Perspectives change I guess with the setting, but I thought about the new lathe being even a bit bigger, and thought how glad I will be to get it in place and running..........

Thom Sturgill
05-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Our club has one on order, we will be glad to get it in!

Roger Chandler
05-02-2015, 1:01 PM
Our club has one on order, we will be glad to get it in!

When did your club place its order Thom?

Scott Brandstetter
05-02-2015, 2:31 PM
Darn Roger, that is great news. I can't remember how long ago I sold my Jet but I am going nuts now that its May and I may get to turn soon. I am going to schedule a few days off work, friday and Monday to create a very long weekend, let the wife know I will be in the shop, and not come out. My delivery date was the 22nd and I hope it comes in sooner.

Roger Chandler
05-02-2015, 5:21 PM
Darn Roger, that is great news. I can't remember how long ago I sold my Jet but I am going nuts now that its May and I may get to turn soon. I am going to schedule a few days off work, friday and Monday to create a very long weekend, let the wife know I will be in the shop, and not come out. My delivery date was the 22nd and I hope it comes in sooner.

That sounds like a great plan, Scott! I wish I could do the same!

Thom Sturgill
05-02-2015, 6:42 PM
When did your club place its order Thom?

Not sure of the date - February, I think. We had to get a debit card for the President so that he could place the order online and we voted on it at the January meeting.

We currently only own two of the small Deltas and have 'borrowed' the ex-president's lathes as needed. The small lathes are not at the meeting place (a college classroom) but the new one may be although it looks like we may be moving the regular meeting to one of the board member's shop. Some of us want to rent a store front and possibly use volunteers to run a small gallery.

Roger Chandler
05-02-2015, 6:56 PM
Not sure of the date - February, I think. We had to get a debit card for the President so that he could place the order online and we voted on it at the January meeting.

We currently only own two of the small Deltas and have 'borrowed' the ex-president's lathes as needed. The small lathes are not at the meeting place (a college classroom) but the new one may be although it looks like we may be moving the regular meeting to one of the board member's shop. Some of us want to rent a store front and possibly use volunteers to run a small gallery.

Sounds like starting your own turners gallery co-op. Good luck with manning the store.......one of my galleries is an artists co-op and we have 40 artists of different mediums.......we are barely able to cover the open hours! Of course, some of them do not work hours, but take a 50/50 split, and those who work at least 10 hrs a month get a 80/20 split. Not a bad idea Thom if you can get the days covered.

With a February order, yours will likely come in the first shipment.

hu lowery
05-03-2015, 12:31 AM
. . . . .

Funny........that lathe looks bigger in the setting of our club space than it did in my shop! Perspectives change I guess with the setting, but I thought about the new lathe being even a bit bigger, and thought how glad I will be to get it in place and running..........

Me and John Deere can get my 766 to within twenty feet of where it goes, even closer if I talk straight line but with some concrete half height walls in the way. I'm scratching my rear a little bit as to just how that lathe is getting in my shop. The old one wasn't any treat and it was much lighter!

I'm counting on things being like the lawyers always say they are, "Where there is a will there is a way!"

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-03-2015, 6:12 AM
Me and John Deere can get my 766 to within twenty feet of where it goes, even closer if I talk straight line but with some concrete half height walls in the way. I'm scratching my rear a little bit as to just how that lathe is getting in my shop. The old one wasn't any treat and it was much lighter!

I'm counting on things being like the lawyers always say they are, "Where there is a will there is a way!"

Hu

Perhaps piece by piece, Hu?

hu lowery
05-03-2015, 3:05 PM
Perhaps piece by piece, Hu?

Roger,

I think it comes assembled less the legs. No question, the tailstock and banjo are coming off. The headstock is the issue. Just doing some subtracting and making a wild guess I think it will weigh 200 pounds or more motor and all. Sure to be a lot heavier than the Craftsman headstock and it was a bear getting in the room and getting assembled. If my windows were bigger, I think through a window might be easiest. Right now I'm starting to think that I might be able to get some use out of the headstock sliding end to end of the bed. Might allow me to shift that much weight from end to end of the lathe when I need to.

I don't think there is much of a chance I will choose for it to remain crated but assuming yours arrives before mine I would appreciate a quick snap or two of the crate, particularly the bottom or enough of the bottom to see how the skids are positioned.

I'll take some pictures before long to show what I'm dealing with. Had some but I can't find them right now. Hard to even get shooting angles in the old dairy barn, the front two rooms of which will eventually be my wood shop. I'm thinking that I may rig the slide to get my old lathe out. If it works for that then I will have basically had a test run for putting the new lathe in.

Careful planning and a little care and I'm sure things will be fine, an interesting engineering problem however. I'm starting to think about slides and ramps and such. My inspirations being Rube Goldberg and Dr. Seuss!

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-03-2015, 3:14 PM
Roger,

I think it comes assembled less the legs. No question, the tailstock and banjo are coming off. The headstock is the issue. Just doing some subtracting and making a wild guess I think it will weigh 200 pounds or more motor and all. Sure to be a lot heavier than the Craftsman headstock and it was a bear getting in the room and getting assembled. If my windows were bigger, I think through a window might be easiest. Right now I'm starting to think that I might be able to get some use out of the headstock sliding end to end of the bed. Might allow me to shift that much weight from end to end of the lathe when I need to.

I don't think there is much of a chance I will choose for it to remain crated but assuming yours arrives before mine I would appreciate a quick snap or two of the crate, particularly the bottom or enough of the bottom to see how the skids are positioned.

I'll take some pictures before long to show what I'm dealing with. Had some but I can't find them right now. Hard to even get shooting angles in the old dairy barn, the front two rooms of which will eventually be my wood shop. I'm thinking that I may rig the slide to get my old lathe out. If it works for that then I will have basically had a test run for putting the new lathe in.

Careful planning and a little care and I'm sure things will be fine, an interesting engineering problem however. I'm starting to think about slides and ramps and such. My inspirations being Rube Goldberg and Dr. Seuss!

Hu

Hu, I am thinking that the crating on this G0766 will be similar to the crating on my G0698 when it arrived. I took the headstock, tailstock and banjo off to get the bed into the shop and then put the legs on the bed, then added the headstock, etc and it was a simple process. I did have help from my sons, but with a pair of sawhorses, one can do what I did with the help of my sons. You will likely need at least one person helping you.

I uncrated mine outside the shop, then assembled inside........if that helps. I will be glad to post a few pics when it comes in.

daryl moses
05-03-2015, 8:40 PM
I uncrated mine outside the shop, then assembled inside........if that helps. I will be glad to post a few pics when it comes in.
That's how I did my GO733, of course it weighs a little less than the GO766. I only weigh 130 lbs and was going to do it myself but my son showed up when I was uncrating it. I had intended to take the head and tailstock off and use a chainhoist to lift the bed onto the legs, but with my son we simply left everything together. Piece of cake!!
BTW, I imagine the 766 will be crated pretty close to how my lathe was crated, the crate will just about have to be disassembled to get the head and tailstock off. They sure didn't spare any screws on that crate either. I saved all of them for further projects.

Roland Martin
05-04-2015, 7:34 AM
Roger, I still keep in touch with the Creek on a daily basis. Just stopped taking the time to post, for no particular reason. I will try to put more effort in posting again, as I value everything I've learned here over the years and the good people that make this what it is. Really, this community is a priceless resource.

Roger Chandler
05-04-2015, 9:31 AM
That's how I did my GO733, of course it weighs a little less than the GO766. I only weigh 130 lbs and was going to do it myself but my son showed up when I was uncrating it. I had intended to take the head and tailstock off and use a chainhoist to lift the bed onto the legs, but with my son we simply left everything together. Piece of cake!!
BTW, I imagine the 766 will be crated pretty close to how my lathe was crated, the crate will just about have to be disassembled to get the head and tailstock off. They sure didn't spare any screws on that crate either. I saved all of them for further projects.

That is pretty much what I did with my crate when unpacking my G0698.......after I had the lathe for about 3 months, and really put through its paces, then I used the crate and some other scrap plywood to build a tool cabinet for my chucks and turning tools. I still have a few of those screws left that have not been repurposed yet.

The drawer sides were made from the crate plywood........it is neet to open the drawer and see the Grizzly logo that was painted on the crate.

Mark Greenbaum
05-04-2015, 1:12 PM
Roger: Any idea how many G0766's are on that shipment from China? I'd like to order one as soon as the hit the US, but I'd really like to see a customer review first. The major turners in TN Assoc. of Woodturners have said to not get Grizzly (for whatever reason they have), and only recommend Jet or PM. For the $100 off the Jet JWL-1642EVS-2, I'd really like the addition turning diameter, and mass. So please review ASAP. Try to be impartial (I know you're already partial by reading your previous entries). Thanks.

I'd like to be able to turn deep vessels like I have at JC Campbell in the past (on PM 3520B).312915 This one measures 12" tall.

Roger Chandler
05-04-2015, 2:15 PM
Roger: Any idea how many G0766's are on that shipment from China? I'd like to order one as soon as the hit the US, but I'd really like to see a customer review first. The major turners in TN Assoc. of Woodturners have said to not get Grizzly (for whatever reason they have), and only recommend Jet or PM. For the $100 off the Jet JWL-1642EVS-2, I'd really like the addition turning diameter, and mass. So please review ASAP. Try to be impartial (I know you're already partial by reading your previous entries). Thanks.

I'd like to be able to turn deep vessels like I have at JC Campbell in the past (on PM 3520B).312915 This one measures 12" tall.

Mark........I am of the opinion that the reason some have disliked the Grizzly is because some years ago, the Grizzly lathes were without features we need. Many of them were too light weight and many had the slowest speed at 500 rpm or above, and some reeves drives were not the greatest. That is a bygone era for the most part.

The newer models with high end features will stack up against the Jet 1642 easily and have comparable features to both Jet and the PM 3520b. They are all made by the Burt Group for the respective distributors and have many interchangeable components.

If you stick with the G0632 clone of the Jet 1642 evs, the bigger G0733 18/47 or the newest G0733 22x42 then you should do just fine. I had my G0698 18/47 lathe for over 5 years and now our club has it........it has been a superb performer without issues. The Grizzly lathes do not have the cage and are not quite as heavy as the Pm 3520b, but with added ballast you can make it work great for larger turnings. That cage adds some weight in the statistics about the 3520b, so you won't be far off on the new G0766 on weight anyway!

Just ask many of the G0733 owners.............they will tell you the unit is a fine machine! I expect no less from the G0766 with its premium inverter.......best value in a large lathe on the market, in my opinion. I could have gotten the 3520b if I wanted, or even if I really wanted to swing it, a Robust American Beauty, [which I may do anyway at a later date when I get a bigger shop/studio] but for now, I really think this G0766 will do most anything I want with the 22" swing and 3 hp motor.

know this ...a lot of turners just heard something sometime about Grizzly lathes and have never turned on one themselves. I have turned on 9 different 3520b units, several Jet 1642 evs units, one Robust American Beauty, and several other midi type lathes and I feel I have a sound basis for comparison of the units mentioned.

No doubt the Robust AB is the class of the field, but I am a tool guy.......quality matters to me and so does value. If I did not have the very good experience with my former G0698 and have heard so much positive about the G0733 successor of my G0698 18/47..........I would not have ordered the G0766 22/42. Performance matters to me, but so does value, and function/ performance is my first consideration..........I am confident I have gotten both in this G0766 unit.

Someone said that they heard over 100 units were on the first shipment........I have not asked that question, so I cannot do anything but take what someone else said....... but I do believe that they have probably somewhere between 125 and 175 units already ordered. Last I heard about 6 weeks ago, the CS rep said over 120 then.

Mark Greenbaum
05-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Roger - sounds like you could be a great Grizzly Representative. Please let us know when your new lathe arrives, and maybe do an unpacking and setup thread. I am sure you are correct regarding the new lathe's quality. Grizzly is well known amongst the guitar builders here in Nashville, so the lathe should be no different.

david privett
05-05-2015, 8:35 AM
may 4 2015 I got a postcard stating that the 0766 lathe on backorder ( we regret to inform you that we are still awaiting receipt of the merchandise bla bla and we are unable to estimate at this time exactly when the items will ship) Well I called them and I guess the original date they gave me was may 22 so I got the card. But when I called may 5 2015 the girl told me that the date was revised to may 25 and that I was in that shipment of them to grizzly. So if you get a postcard all is not lost, just 3 more days I hope.

Klaus Waldeck
05-05-2015, 9:08 AM
Hu, you and me both on getting it moved into the shop. Though, as I posted in another thread, I have stairs with a 90 degree bend to contend with. I'm young and pretty fit, so I feel confident I can get most of the pieces into my basement, but that bed may be a bit troubling.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Hu, you and me both on getting it moved into the shop. Though, as I posted in another thread, I have stairs with a 90 degree bend to contend with. I'm young and pretty fit, so I feel confident I can get most of the pieces into my basement, but that bed may be a bit troubling.

Two wheeled cart (hand truck) Klaus..........stand it on end, strap it tight, and you can make that turn one step at a time!

Mark Greenbaum
05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Just how heavy is the center section going to be? I've been told to not remove the motor and headstock assembly, because it weighs so much.

BTW: I sent an email to Grizzly CSR to see if units in the shipment are available to purchase, or if all of them have already been spoken for. I will inform this forum once I hear back. I am really anxious to get one of these for myself, but as a first time lathe purchaser, I am really trying to be cautious. I have a Shopsmith, which is why I really want a dedicated lathe. I am sure you all know the drawbacks to that machine as a lathe.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Mark........you will realize a world of difference from a shopsmith! Fist off, if you get one of these lathes, you are bypassing minor leagues, and going right to the majors, as far as a lathe. Of course there will be the usual learning curve if you are not an experienced turner.

I recommend taking the headstock, banjo and tailstock off for assembly........it will be too difficult otherwise! Just have a buddy come over to help with the weight........2 people can easily do this with a sawhorse or two! Of course you want some help that is without a bad back or some issue that will cause harm if they lift a little weight.

Mark Greenbaum
05-05-2015, 2:09 PM
I just received word that orders for this lathe are expected to arrive (probably another shipment) on June 24th, and back orders will be fill first. So, if I want to obtain this I need to place the order, and wait my turn. By then hopefully Roger will have a play-by-play video of how this machine is performing. Thanks folks, I hope to enjoying real wood turning by mid-Summer.

Just how heavy is the center section going to be? I've been told to not remove the motor and headstock assembly, because it weighs so much.

BTW: I sent an email to Grizzly CSR to see if units in the shipment are available to purchase, or if all of them have already been spoken for. I will inform this forum once I hear back. I am really anxious to get one of these for myself, but as a first time lathe purchaser, I am really trying to be cautious. I have a Shopsmith, which is why I really want a dedicated lathe. I am sure you all know the drawbacks to that machine as a lathe.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2015, 2:21 PM
Mark........feel free to join the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] where you will find 106 other Grizzly owners who discuss things related to Grizzly lathes. Just hit the community tab at top of this page, then groups.......you will see the link for the group. Feel free to join in the conversations and post a few pics of your work if you would like!

Mark Greenbaum
05-05-2015, 2:27 PM
Thanks for the invite. I will check that out tonight when I get home. I am trying to setup in the new garage space, but wifey seems bound and determined to sell this house and move once again. Flux - the state of my life any more.

hu lowery
05-06-2015, 8:49 PM

Klaus,

Should be interesting! I'm going to take my time with planning and preparation, hopefully the job will be the easiest part then.

Hu

Matt Schrum
05-07-2015, 12:20 PM
As of this morning, Grizzly is still sticking with the May 15th date. Hopefully that holds as it's only a week or so out :)

Mark Greenbaum
05-07-2015, 12:58 PM
When did you order?

As of this morning, Grizzly is still sticking with the May 15th date. Hopefully that holds as it's only a week or so out :)

Matt Schrum
05-07-2015, 1:09 PM
When did you order?

I ordered mine sometime in the first week of April if I recall.

Mark Greenbaum
05-07-2015, 1:11 PM
OK - when I call 2 days ago CSR said next shipment would be in US about June 20

Jeramie Johnson
05-07-2015, 1:42 PM
The earlier arrival is fantastic news. When I had ordered mine, they said there were plenty on the shipment to cover the orders placed at that time.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2015, 1:56 PM
OK - when I call 2 days ago CSR said next shipment would be in US about June 20

Mark........if there seems to be confusion as to dates, then know that Grizzly will fill all the orders they have already received first, then if there are any that are not spoken for, they will go out as orders come in. They may perhaps have all of the units already shipped spoken for, but the next shipment on June 20th will cover the orders being received now.........

Just what my thoughts are about the likely scenario.......at this point. I do know they will ship units in the order of the way they came in..........first order in, first order out, etc.

hu lowery
05-07-2015, 7:38 PM
Just what my thoughts are about the likely scenario.......at this point. I do know they will ship units in the order of the way they came in..........first order in, first order out, etc.

Roger,

According to the person I spoke to awhile back there is a caveat to that. Each shipping center will ship according to first come, first served, but all shipping centers are not getting some machines out of each shipment from what that person indicated. Missouri is getting the first shipment from what I was told. The other centers will get later shipments.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that of course but the person taking my order did ask where I was and checked which distribution center I would receive my lathe from. They said that it would make a difference when I received my unit. I don't remember dates now but I think there are four shipments that have long been scheduled, at least three, and they are within a few weeks of each other so I think supply will catch up with demand not later than August or September, maybe sooner.

I thought I had scrawled those shipping dates on an old envelope but if I did I can't find it, my filing system leaves a little to be desired!

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-07-2015, 7:45 PM
Hu.......you may be correct :confused: I was told that orders would be filled in the order they were received, and as far as my particular order, it would be shipped from the Missouri distribution center. I live only about 2 1/2 hours from the Muncy, Pa. distribution center.

The CS rep checked specifically based upon my order number, and from what I had gathered from our conversation, the specific order number has an assignment date and distribution center............these things are the internal workings of the company, and likely management only knows the reasons why they do things the way they do.........at least, I think the process is correct that the first ones who ordered get their lathes shipped first.

For me, that is just one more week! :D [not meaning that as a gloat, just glad to get on with my work!] ;)

hu lowery
05-08-2015, 1:51 AM
Roger,

They may choose to ship all over the country from Missouri to fill the backorders in the order received, I don't know. Don't know if the person I talked to was correct in what they told me either! Regardless, you should have your lathe very soon.

Burt often sells by the container load so assuming that all lathes in a container were 0766's I figure a container would hold at least seventy-two lathes, maybe a few more if they pack them tight. A nine high container would hold ninety-six, a few more if they pack them tight. Might leave me hanging, I think I was about number ninety-nine! Of course they may be shipping more than one container of lathes or an overlength container. We'll know soon!

Hu

Mark Greenbaum
05-08-2015, 7:41 AM
Now I am really in a quandary: My wife and I have listed our house for sale, and I would not want to take delivery and get all setup, only to have to tear down and pack into storage facility (because we don't have a house lined up to move to yet). Dang, I really want this lathe soon. I have good chunks of wood calling to me.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2015, 8:16 AM
Now I am really in a quandary: My wife and I have listed our house for sale, and I would not want to take delivery and get all setup, only to have to tear down and pack into storage facility (because we don't have a house lined up to move to yet). Dang, I really want this lathe soon. I have good chunks of wood calling to me.

Well Mark........I know what I would do. If the prospect of a new home/shop may take a few months to materialize, then I would go ahead, and get some of that wood processed and get the lathe in and set up. I recently moved my other lathe, the 18/47 G0698 to our club site [about 35 miles away] and moving it on a trailer was a fairly simple proposition. Just strapped it down with six ratchet straps and it made the trek up the interstate easily. I used two movers dollies to put the legs up on a rolled it onto the gate of the trailer, so it was an easy process.

Seems to me getting it in and using it will diminish your wood stash, and reduce the amount you have transfer to your new location, and you get the enjoyment of a new machine and perhaps can sell a few items in the mean time!

Mark Greenbaum
05-08-2015, 9:48 AM
Thanks Roger for the insight. I will use this argument with my wife, because every time I get just enough to purchase a big ticket item like this, something happens to take my fun money away.

Our club had someone fabricate dollies out of steel that allow us to lift up and roll the large PM 3520B and Oneways after workshops or demos. I have an older son who is a primo welder, and I can sketch those up and have him fabricate them. The only other small obstacle is getting a 220v circuit into the new garage space. Plenty easy as I just had a new 200A service panel installed on the other side of a wall, and there are several open spots for new circuits.

Well Mark........I know what I would do. If the prospect of a new home/shop may take a few months to materialize, then I would go ahead, and get some of that wood processed and get the lathe in and set up. I recently moved my other lathe, the 18/47 G0698 to our club site [about 35 miles away] and moving it on a trailer was a fairly simple proposition. Just strapped it down with six ratchet straps and it made the trek up the interstate easily. I used two movers dollies to put the legs up on a rolled it onto the gate of the trailer, so it was an easy process.

Seems to me getting it in and using it will diminish your wood stash, and reduce the amount you have transfer to your new location, and you get the enjoyment of a new machine and perhaps can sell a few items in the mean time!

Jeramie Johnson
05-08-2015, 9:58 AM
Thanks Roger for the insight. I will use this argument with my wife, because every time I get just enough to purchase a big ticket item like this, something happens to take my fun money away.

Our club had someone fabricate dollies out of steel that allow us to lift up and roll the large PM 3520B and Oneways after workshops or demos. I have an older son who is a primo welder, and I can sketch those up and have him fabricate them. The only other small obstacle is getting a 220v circuit into the new garage space. Plenty easy as I just had a new 200A service panel installed on the other side of a wall, and there are several open spots for new circuits.

Sounds like you no longer have a problem, but a bunch of opportunities.

hu lowery
05-08-2015, 6:12 PM

Mark,

I agree with Roger, if funds allow grab the lathe! The things that I put off until the best time often get put off for years or never happen. Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns, the tiger by the tail, mix all the metaphors you can, and act!

Hu

Thom Sturgill
05-08-2015, 7:21 PM
When my club moves the Jet that we borrow, we have two poles and four strong backs lift and carry it onto a trailer where it is strapped down. I made the mistake of helping one other person tug it into place and paid for it with two weeks of back pain.

david privett
05-09-2015, 8:14 AM
I read that it was felt that the price would go up on the g0766 next year, of course that was possibly unfounded chatter. I guess the point was the g0733 costs more.

Roger Chandler
05-09-2015, 8:19 AM
I read that it was felt that the price would go up on the g0766 next year, of course that was possibly unfounded chatter. I guess the point was the g0733 costs more.
That has been the previous pattern they have followed at Grizzly in the past.......at this price, this lathe is a great bargain, so I think we will see it hit the $1995 mark or maybe even a bit higher come 2016.

Dennis Collier
05-09-2015, 10:15 AM
I agree based on previous experience with Grizzly and brand new tool models. Id look for the price to jump close to $500 by next catalog release.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-09-2015, 10:44 AM
From the very beginning, Grizzley has consistently said that this is an introductory price.

Scott Brandstetter
05-10-2015, 5:57 PM
I spoke with a CSR from Grizzly a couple days ago about another issue and she checked on the lathe order while I had her. Said I was number 15 and that 25 lathes were on the first shipment. She did say though, that from what she could tell, it would be around the 28th before any shipped. Who really knows.

Roger Chandler
05-10-2015, 6:11 PM
The last conversation I had with a CSR @ Grizzly said the 15th of May was a "confirmed" date. She checked on my specific order by the order number...........not sure how the person you spoke with looked up your request.......not sure how they work out all the logistics? We are certainly getting close, so we will see how it all works out!

Dennis Collier
05-10-2015, 8:50 PM
I spoke with a CSR from Grizzly a couple days ago about another issue and she checked on the lathe order while I had her. Said I was number 15 and that 25 lathes were on the first shipment. She did say though, that from what she could tell, it would be around the 28th before any shipped. Who really knows.
Roughly when did you place your order? Ill have to check my confirmation to see exactly when I ordered but it seems like it was mid Feb. Just curious if I may be in the first 25.

Edit: My order date was Feb, 4

Dennis Collier
05-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly CS. Im wondering how some CS reps are privy to info that others are not? I asked where I was at in the line up and she said she had no way of knowing or finding that info out. All she could give me was info based on my particular order. I asked about the varying shipping dates everyone is receiving and she said no one has been given a shipping date, just an arrival date and from that date there is an inspection process that takes 1 or 2 business days before it will ship. The reason people are getting different dates is because they are expected to arrive at different locations on different dates obviously. She said the expected arrival date for my unit which will ship to me from the PA service center is May 23.

hu lowery
05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Dennis,

I wonder if each shipment from china will be broken down into shipments to each distribution center to fill backorders before they start stocking each distribution center? Would seem to make sense, of course it would seem to make sense to fill all backorders from one distribution center and cut out a step, saving time and trucking.

I notice it seems we all are told something slightly different depending on the customer service rep we talk to. We won't know the straight skinny until we get the e-mail that the machine has shipped towards us it looks like. I was going to take my machine down after a project I expect to finish today since I have to move a lot of stuff to get it out and the new one in. I may have to rethink that. Gonna be painful if the new lathe gets here and I have to look at it in a crate for a few days or a week but I could suffer serious withdrawal symptoms with no lathe at all.

Hu

Randy Red Bemont
05-11-2015, 11:19 AM
I haven't called Grizzly CS at all. I'm just waiting to get the email to say it's shipped to me. It's just one of those deals where it comes when it comes and there's nothing that can be done. I like many of you already have the area cleared and ready to put the new lathe in it's place. It's coming soon and I'm very excited.

Red

Jeramie Johnson
05-11-2015, 12:31 PM
From the very beginning, Grizzley has consistently said that this is an introductory price.

I had asked the CS rep about the "introductory" term, and from her looking in the system, this is not an introductory offer. This doesn't mean that the price could go up though, but from the sales side, they are not seeing it marked as introductory.

I personally think it will definitely go up in 2016, as too many of their lathes would have to be re-priced.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Now this is from vague memory, but I thought someone posted that there were a lot more lathes coming from China than 25. Perhaps this 25 number are the ones going to a particular distribution center from all that are being sent over. I do think there will be staggered shipments coming from Shandong because once the manufacturing actually gets underway the rate at which they come off the line will increase.

For some reason, I think someone mentioned a shipment about two or three weeks out from the first shipment......again this is just some recollection from something that was posted in one of the other threads on this unit............I may have it wrong here, so I am not saying I know what will happen, but that for some reason was the impression I got. :confused:

I do not think they have room to get them all on the first container out of Shandong.......but there could be more than one container that has this model shipping over in it........likely along with some other machines that Grizzly has on order.

Roger Chandler
05-13-2015, 2:05 PM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly CS.........the May 15th delivery date is holding true for the first shipment into the Missouri Distribution center. They have to be inspected and that will take a couple of days. Shipping to the customer should come on 5/19, and take 3-5 days depending on where customers who ordered are located.

I was told there are 23 G0766 units on this shipment, which will go to the first people who ordered and there are 59 on back order, and the next shipment is supposed to arrive on July 17th.

I was passed to two different CS reps, as the first one was a bit confused on things, and the second one was more helpful and had to put me on hold and get the specifics for my order and be able to answer my questions, which included asking about the information I posted above..........

When I get my unit next week, I will get it uncrated, set up and post some initial impressions and then after doing a couple of larger items [bowls, maybe a hollow form roughout] I will post about specifics of my experience........whether good or bad...........honestly, I expect good results based upon my 5+ years of experience with my G0698 18/47 lathe. But I do want everyone to know, that I do not have blinders on, and because I have turned on a Robust American Beauty, and 9 different PM 3520b's and a few Jet 1642 evs models, that I truly believe I am in a position to make a fair and honest comparison.

Hope this latest info helps everyone understand the logistics of what is happening. I believe Grizzly is doing all they can to get these units in for the folks who have ordered and I personally believe the wait will have been worth it when the new units get in your shops.

Mike Goetzke
05-13-2015, 4:38 PM
Will be looking for a new Avitar from you next week Roger!

Matt Schrum
05-13-2015, 5:17 PM
I'm about a 2 hour drive from their warehouse-- so hopefully it's delivered before Memorial day and I have a 3 day weekend to set it up and get it running. My fingers are crossed!

Mark Greenbaum
05-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger this morning, and ordered my first real lathe - Grizzly G0766. I missed a CL on a used Oneway yesterday by a few hours for $1500 with all of the accessories in IL ($10k worth of stuff), so I decided to quit hemming and hawing over it. I am not sure when it will ship, as the catalog still shows not available for immediate shipment, but track orders shows it's available. YIKES - gotta get busy and get wiring in the garage asap, and get the mess cleared out. I am very excited and really look forward to turning whenever I want to, instead of waiting for our monthly Turn & Learns. Wish me luck. Thanks Roger for the inspiration and motivation.

Randy Red Bemont
05-15-2015, 11:45 AM
I think you will be happy when it finally ships. I'm waiting to hear if I'll be on the first wave of deliveries when they do arrive at Grizzly hopefully today.

Red

Roger Chandler
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger this morning, and ordered my first real lathe - Grizzly G0766. I missed a CL on a used Oneway yesterday by a few hours for $1500 with all of the accessories in IL ($10k worth of stuff), so I decided to quit hemming and hawing over it. I am not sure when it will ship, as the catalog still shows not available for immediate shipment, but track orders shows it's available. YIKES - gotta get busy and get wiring in the garage asap, and get the mess cleared out. I am very excited and really look forward to turning whenever I want to, instead of waiting for our monthly Turn & Learns. Wish me luck, and let me know if anyone has captivated hollowing system to liquidate, or larger chuck. Thanks Roger for the inspiration and motivation.

Congrats Mark! Wow.........your first lathe.......in the big leagues! Wish I had been able to do that myself.......it would have saved me lots of $$$!!! Of course, this model was not available until now, and at this price what an opportunity! ;)

Mark Greenbaum
05-15-2015, 1:05 PM
I just received an email from Grizzly stating all of the current shipment has been allocated. My unit should arrive about July 10, 2015, and ship thereafter. Based on that I will hold off on wiring the garage, as our house is for sale, and not sure when or if it will sell, or where we'll go if it does. Limbo - how low can you go. As for the chuck, I only have the Nova G3, and that's fine for smaller stuff, but if anyone can recommend a decent larger chuck, let me know. Thanks.

Congrats Mark! Wow.........your first lathe.......in the big leagues! Wish I had been able to do that myself.......it would have saved me lots of $$$!!! Of course, this model was not available until now, and at this price what an opportunity! ;)

Matt Schrum
05-15-2015, 1:33 PM
Well, I just called Grizzly and I'm guessing my lathe must not have been in the first container to their Missouri warehouse. The estimated arrival to their warehouse for my lathe is supposedly May 25th now. Dang!

Cary Falk
05-15-2015, 3:04 PM
I have been told June 24 for some time now and I ordered pretty early. Oh well, I have plenty of other things to work on.

Roger Chandler
05-15-2015, 3:07 PM
Well, I just called Grizzly and I'm guessing my lathe must not have been in the first container to their Missouri warehouse. The estimated arrival to their warehouse for my lathe is supposedly May 25th now. Dang!

Matt.......that is only 3 days from the original May 22nd date. If yours is May 25th.....that is only 10 days from now.....I would settle for that knowing that this new model is in high demand!

Matt Schrum
05-15-2015, 10:42 PM
I know Roger, but a week or so ago they were still saying the 15th, so I was hoping I'd get it here before the three day weekend. Not a big deal at the end of the day, but it would have been nice. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it set up and running!

Ben Pierce
05-17-2015, 9:10 PM
I'm looking forward to your new Grizzly review, Roger. Thanks.

Izzy Camire
05-18-2015, 2:24 PM
I am also looking forward to Roger's review.

Dennis Collier
05-18-2015, 4:44 PM
Any emails today? If these were in MO on the 15th, I was about half expecting to hear about some shipping emails today. I know they say they take a couple of days to inspect them but when I purchased my G0715P, they shipped it to me the day they received it.

Roger Chandler
05-18-2015, 6:16 PM
Any emails today? If these were in MO on the 15th, I was about half expecting to hear about some shipping emails today. I know they say they take a couple of days to inspect them but when I purchased my G0715P, they shipped it to me the day they received it.

I have not gotten an email as of yet.........I plan to check the status tomorrow morning. I was told by the CS rep that the shipment was to arrive at Missouri Distribution Center sometime on last Friday 5/15........she said it would take 2 or 3 days to get the shipment inspected, and then shipping would begin. It is likely that there are other type machines in this shipment as well, and if they open every crate and inspect every machine........well, that does take time!

Since mine is supposed to be the first shipped, then when I get some evidence that it has been, I will post about it. On my other purchases from Grizzly, the charge showed up on my bank account before I got an email........if that occurs this time as well, at least I know that they have begun the process, and I will mention that in the post.

Scott Brandstetter
05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Roger,
You have certainly been the champion on this lathe. I have tried not to think about the delivery the last few weeks because it will drive me crazy. It will be crazy once the first batch ships, and I am told I'm part of that first batch. Do you find yourself getting a little nervous, now that the delivery is close? We have put a lot of hopes on this new lathe, I really really hope it's all we want. If it's anywhere near the quality of the table saw and jointer I received from Grizzly the last two months, I will be totally satisfied. God help us if it's a lemon. Not sure we will hear the end of it, us early adopters.

I was hoping it would arrive before the long weekend, oh well.

Randy Red Bemont
05-19-2015, 6:54 AM
I too am hoping it arrives before the long weekend. I will have extra hands here in the mountains to help bring it into the workshop. Time will tell. It's only Tuesday.

Red

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 7:54 AM
Roger,
You have certainly been the champion on this lathe. I have tried not to think about the delivery the last few weeks because it will drive me crazy. It will be crazy once the first batch ships, and I am told I'm part of that first batch. Do you find yourself getting a little nervous, now that the delivery is close? We have put a lot of hopes on this new lathe, I really really hope it's all we want. If it's anywhere near the quality of the table saw and jointer I received from Grizzly the last two months, I will be totally satisfied. God help us if it's a lemon. Not sure we will hear the end of it, us early adopters.

I was hoping it would arrive before the long weekend, oh well.

All I can tell you Scott, is that I had a great experience with my G0698 18/47 lathe.......then they went and made major improvements on that by updating it with premium inverter and A/C motor, and making it the G0733. Now they have come out with a bigger version with a couple of improvements over the G0733, with addition of 3hp and a handwheel. I never heard any owner of the G0733 regret his/her decision........on the contrary, they were all well pleased.

I also have other reasons that I have peace about this purchase......[they are spiritual] and some folks may not understand those, so I will not go into those on a forum, but yes, I am excited a bit to get it in......I need to get crankin' on some items for my galleries and such, and have a tight schedule.......

It is my belief that given a fair look, this G0766 model will prove to be a fine unit. Is it a Robust American Beauty? No, But we are not paying those kinds of prices either! It might end up being a little lighter than the 3520b, but it also has more distance between centers and more horsepower, so all things considered, we are in the same league!

I was also hoping it would arrive before the weekend........it still may, so as soon as I know something, I will post.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 9:04 AM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly CS...........the lathes are not at the Missouri center yet. They are on U.S. soil somewhere between the loading dock and the distribution center. Patti, the CS rep I spoke with will try to get me more info, and shoot me an email. They did not send out a card about backorder because the process is so close to the original timeframe and events on the ground are tracking fairly close and they are indeed "in process" with this entire scenario.

I realize that all the anticipation has been building.......a little more patience is called for here. Grizzly cannot control everything, especially the impatience of folks like myself or perhaps others who have ordered. I am thinking a few more days, but when I get more info from CS, I will pass it along. I was told that the inspections of the shipment will occur at the Missouri distribution center, then shipping to customers.

Matt Schrum
05-19-2015, 9:13 AM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly CS...........the lathes are not at the Missouri center yet. They are on U.S. soil somewhere between the loading dock and the distribution center...

I'm wondering if my lathe is in the same shipment as yours Roger as a lot of the previous dates I had matched the info you had as well. If that's the case, I was told they expected the lathes at the warehouse on the 25th.... which is Memorial Day, so perhaps the 26th then? Either way, at least it's a week out instead of months out like it has been. Getting closer!

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 9:39 AM
I'm wondering if my lathe is in the same shipment as yours Roger as a lot of the previous dates I had matched the info you had as well. If that's the case, I was told they expected the lathes at the warehouse on the 25th.... which is Memorial Day, so perhaps the 26th then? Either way, at least it's a week out instead of months out like it has been. Getting closer!

Matt.........I am coming to believe that part of the problem on the end [customers] is that the "confirmed date" given seems to be what Grizzly uses as confirmed that shipment will be at the port.........and that is what is in their system. Confirmed date evidently does not mean that the warehouse has them in possession, but as you state, we are much closer at any rate.

When I originally started this post about "they are on their way," it was simply my intention to let folks know that they had left the factory and were "en route, " but from there it seems the confirmed date somehow got used as the time the distribution center would have them in possession.

It would be my guess that if one took a look at the arrival times for shipments to Grizzly that if they were averaged out, one would find out that a number of shipments arrive a few days early and some a few days late, but on average the time frame they give holds pretty well.

Like you, I will be glad to simply get it in when it does come! Many of us are like kids, waiting on Christmas to arrive! :D;)

Ralph Lindberg
05-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Roger
I'm not certain of "today", but "yesterday" (a few years ago). Items arrived at the Port of Tacoma, where shipped to Bellingham, where the containers were opened. Items were then shipped on to the other two warehouses from there.
So, it's possible people that ordered in the far-west will see theirs shipped (or picked up) from Bellingham "shortly"

Jeramie Johnson
05-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Roger
I'm not certain of "today", but "yesterday" (a few years ago). Items arrived at the Port of Tacoma, where shipped to Bellingham, where the containers were opened. Items were then shipped on to the other two warehouses from there.
So, it's possible people that ordered in the far-west will see theirs shipped (or picked up) from Bellingham "shortly"

Latest from their CS desk: Still on track to arrive the 22nd, then a 48 hour inspection timeframe followed by shipping to distribution warehouses and finally shipped off to customers. She said customers would probably be seeing them first week of June.

Ben Pierce
05-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Does this lathe have a spindle lock?

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Does this lathe have a spindle lock?

The spindle lock is accomplished by the indexing pin with the end that is made to insert into the correct hole to lock the spindle. A simple yet effective way to accomplish what a push button mechanism does.............I actually prefer it myself, to the push button style.........allows me to have two hands to use on the chuck when mounting or whatever the case may be.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Latest from their CS desk: Still on track to arrive the 22nd, then a 48 hour inspection timeframe followed by shipping to distribution warehouses and finally shipped off to customers. She said customers would probably be seeing them first week of June.

Ralph, my understanding is the entire first order will ship out of the Missouri distribution center, but we have gotten info before that was confused............we will see how it plays out, but I do know they said they will be shipped in the sequence the orders were received to the customers.

Jeramie.......you must have spoken to someone different than I did, perhaps after my conversation............perhaps the first info they put out was correct after all, and all the inquires by phone from the customers and speculations is what made everyone confused...:eek:.......imagine that!!! :rolleyes::D:D:D

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 1:52 PM
Okay.......just checked my bank account........Grizzly has indeed sent the transaction through to charge me for the lathe.......that is not supposed to happen until it ships........at least from what I understand, and what the website states!

The CS rep I spoke with this morning did say that there were some things she had no way of checking on, but at least this development tells me that they are readying the lathe for shipping, so that must mean that the lathes are at the distribution center.

Now, I know that Grizz is a big company, and likely somethings happen at one location without some others in other locations not knowing about them, at least for a period of time [not sure how much lag time between events and system being updated?] but it seems things are indeed moving? :confused::)

I was told 3 to 5 days transit time...........hummm..........holiday weekend coming up.........anyone know if UPS freight delivers on Memorial day?

Mark Greenbaum
05-19-2015, 2:15 PM
OK - Take ONE - ACTION - speak clearly into the microphone, and step-by-step, show us all what you've got delivered, and how to unpack, assemble, and test. I, especially, am anxiously awaiting the video unveiling of the first G0766 Lathe from Grizzly.

This is a request from the peanut gallery of Nashville, TN. Please act as though the whole world is watching - which it is. Thank you.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 2:22 PM
OK - Take ONE - ACTION - speak clearly into the microphone, and step-by-step, show us all what you've got delivered, and how to unpack, assemble, and test. I, especially, am anxiously awaiting the video unveiling of the first G0766 Lathe from Grizzly.

This is a request from the peanut gallery of Nashville, TN. Please act as though the whole world is watching - which it is. Thank you.

might not be video.........more likely a few pics with descriptions.........I don't think SMC allows videos to be uploaded, although I am not sure on that issue.

Brian Myers
05-19-2015, 3:04 PM
You Tube the video and post the link here Roger ;)

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 3:35 PM
You Tube the video and post the link here Roger ;)

I am not much of a computer guy, and have never done that.......besides, trying to produce a suitable video and set up this lathe in my small shop/studio would be more than a frustrating event! I will just post some pics and some commentary......if it is anything like my G0698 was to set up [which it is!] it is a piece of cake! Lifting and moving the parts will be the biggest challenge.

Matt Schrum
05-19-2015, 4:02 PM
Roger, at this point I think it'd probably be best just to have the lathe sent to my address so I can do a video review. I'm sure you won't mind as it is for the better good of the forum ;)

Naw, I'll just be happy (and jealous) to see pics up and your first thoughts!

Ben Pierce
05-19-2015, 8:18 PM
Roger, I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766. I assume not... wonder if Grizzly will offer one.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 9:37 PM
Roger, I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766. I assume not... wonder if Grizzly will offer one.

Ben.......I sent them an email about that very thing back about a month ago, and they are supposed to be taking that request under advisement. For those turners who want one for the G0766, it would not hurt to make a formal request by email to customer service and ask them to take that request to decision makers.

Scott Brandstetter
05-19-2015, 9:59 PM
Roger, you mentioned something to the effect that "for a lot of us, this is waiting for Christmas". Heck, I'm not sure I've been this excited since I prayed Santa would bring me a big wheel, and he did. Of course I am kidding but, I really can't wait. It's actually a lot of fun now that it's this close. Holy cow, I have waited so long to turn, I think I won't leave the shop for days. The great news is that my great wife understands (as much as she can) and said just let her know when I need food and drink.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Roger, you mentioned something to the effect that "for a lot of us, this is waiting for Christmas". Heck, I'm not sure I've been this excited since I prayed Santa would bring me a big wheel, and he did. Of course I am kidding but, I really can't wait. It's actually a lot of fun now that it's this close. Holy cow, I have waited so long to turn, I think I won't leave the shop for days. The great news is that my great wife understands (as much as she can) and said just let her know when I need food and drink.

Geez, Scott.........you had better hold on to her real tight........she's a keeper for sure! ;)

Cary Falk
05-20-2015, 4:58 AM
I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766
I think that would cause mass suicide within the PM community if parts were found to be interchangeable.:eek:

Roger Chandler
05-20-2015, 8:00 AM
I think that would cause mass suicide within the PM community if parts were found to be interchangeable.:eek:

Cary...:D:D.....I know for a fact that some of the parts of my former G0698 were interchangable. I have noticed on the pics of the G0766 that the handle for tightening the quill are identical to ones on the PM 3520b. Since there are a lot of lathes made by the Burt Group for different vendors, there are parts that are used on more than one model lathe.

Bob Dupras
05-20-2015, 8:20 AM
Roger, I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766. I assume not... wonder if Grizzly will offer one.I wondered that too. Then I wondered if the tool post extension would be long enough for the extra inch of bed clearance.

Bob Bergstrom
05-20-2015, 8:58 AM
I wondered that too. Then I wondered if the tool post extension would be long enough for the extra inch of bed clearance.
The 3520 has machined surfaces to bolt the extension on the lower position. I don't see that on the Grizzly. A long stem tool rest would provide extra height with the extension. It appears that the stance is a couple inches narrower on the Grizzly also. I have turned quite a few big pieces on the extension of my 3520 and had the head stock rocking back and forth. Bolting it to the floor would help. The Robust stance is another couple inches wider than the Powermatic.

Bob Dupras
05-20-2015, 9:21 AM
The 3520 has machined surfaces to bolt the extension on the lower position. I don't see that on the Grizzly. A long stem tool rest would provide extra height with the extension. It appears that the stance is a couple inches narrower on the Grizzly also. I have turned quite a few big pieces on the extension of my 3520 and had the head stock rocking back and forth. Bolting it to the floor would help. The Robust stance is another couple inches wider than the Powermatic.I did notice the machined surface on the leg to mount the extension, but I'm guessing the machined surfaces are more for lineup rather than needed support since there are no similar areas on the end of the bed. This is pure speculation on my part. Powermatic does make a free standing tool rest for not a lot more than the bed extension. But if I buy the Grizzly, I'll probably make my own free standing tool rest and see how that works before I go through the expense of a commercial one. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone does mount the PM extension to the Grizzly. Or any similar sized Grizzly for that matter.

As much as I'd love to have an AB or even a Liberty, I just can't justify that kind of money on a hobby lathe.

Mark Greenbaum
05-20-2015, 9:38 AM
Thee one feature I'd like to see is a hinged bed extension - that way you can pivot the tailstock out of the way. Once I get mine, I may have to design one and have my eldest son fabricate and machine it for me. Like the Nova:

Bob Bergstrom
05-20-2015, 11:41 AM
I did notice the machined surface on the leg to mount the extension, but I'm guessing the machined surfaces are more for lineup rather than needed support since there are no similar areas on the end of the bed. This is pure speculation on my part. Powermatic does make a free standing tool rest for not a lot more than the bed extension. But if I buy the Grizzly, I'll probably make my own free standing tool rest and see how that works before I go through the expense of a commercial one. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone does mount the PM extension to the Grizzly. Or any similar sized Grizzly for that matter.

As much as I'd love to have an AB or even a Liberty, I just can't justify that kind of money on a hobby lathe.

I found that the extension on the Poermatic tended to vibrate when turning large pieces. I used my hydraulic table under it for support. I suspect the Robust machines would also have problems when the extension is unsupported to the side like the Sweet Sixteen?

Roger Chandler
05-21-2015, 8:26 AM
Spoke with Grizzly CS this morning.......the G0766 lathes are still not at the Missouri Dist. Center yet....they think they will be there on Tuesday 5/26 since Monday is a holiday. She said they would ship next week........so.........we wait a few more days! :( They have charged my account already, which is fine, so........I guess this is to expedite things and have them ready to go, perhaps.

This past Monday, the CS rep said they would go to Bellingham, WA first, .........this rep said they would go directly from the port to the Missouri Dist. Center, which was what other reps have told me. I guess the situation is fluid, and I told her that I wanted them to streamline the process as much as possible!

Ralph Lindberg
05-21-2015, 9:06 AM
This past Monday, the CS rep said they would go to Bellingham, WA first, .........this rep said they would go directly from the port to the Missouri Dist. Center, which was what other reps have told me. I guess the situation is fluid, and I told her that I wanted them to streamline the process as much as possible!

Used to be -everything- went through Corp headquarters in Bellingham, that might have changed.

Jim Sevey
05-21-2015, 1:08 PM
This is what I got today:

Dear Mr. Sevey, "Thank you for your email dated May 20, 2015. We are writing to inform you that the current expected shipment date for your backordered G0766 lathe is approximately June 3, 2015. Production delays can occur however, and each shipment must pass our stringent quality inspection prior to shipping. The date above is our best estimate at this time. We are working to get your order shipped as quickly as possible, and apologize for the delay."

David C. Roseman
05-21-2015, 2:19 PM
Hee, hee, I'm beginning to think our grandmothers were right after all: "A watched pot never...." ;)

Roger Chandler
05-21-2015, 5:57 PM
Got a call from one of the big wigs @ the Springfield Missouri Distribution center...........some delays have occurred, and they have to go through customs, etc. but the gentleman thinks the shipping to customers should take place within the next two weeks. He is personally monitoring it on a daily basis and will personally update me, he said.

The info they got on that "confirmed date" of 5/15 was what the factory overseas gave them, and they based the info given out to customers who called on that information. He did not want to keep giving any more dates out and add to the confusion, but thinks it will all be taken care of shortly, but wanted to personally update me on the situation with the G0766 lathes ........they are doing their utmost to expedite things, he says! :)

Walter Mooney
05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Here's what I got from cs on Tuesday..........not exactly the response I was hoping for...........:confused:

Dear Mr. Mooney,

Thank you for your email dated May 18, 2015.

We are happy to assist you. After reviewing your order, I have found that the G0766 is expected to arrive in our warehouse on approximately July 10, 2015. Once received, backorders are processed and shipped to arrive in approximately three to five business days. We do fill backorders first.

If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.

Randy Red Bemont
05-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Walter, when did you place your order? I ordered on Feb. 11 and they are telling me May 25 for arrival at their warehouse. It's getting confusing.

Red

Roger Chandler
05-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Walter, when did you place your order? I ordered on Feb. 11 and they are telling me May 25 for arrival at their warehouse. It's getting confusing.

Red

From what the Assistant Mgr. of the Missouri Dist. Center told me yesterday, the orders will be filled in the sequence in which they came in......all places will be held in the line. It seems they have at least two, maybe 3 shipments in que, so the wait on the second and third shipments won't be nearly as long as the first shipment has been waiting..........

I wish the factory had been working on these before the announcement came out in the catalog, but it seems they were just getting tooled up for making this model..............but now that they are in manufacturing process, they should be coming off the line at a faster rate, and that is a good thing!

James Conrad
05-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Just got off the phone with CS, still holding fast on the May 26 date, looks like the first batch will ship out of Missouri. I doubt they are all in the know, she was unaware of a customs hold up. For reference, I ordered Feb. 3 and I'm 6th in line.

Walter Mooney
05-22-2015, 12:25 PM
If I recall correctly, I ordered in late March, maybe, or early April. I'm clearly not even close to the front of the line............

hu lowery
05-22-2015, 4:23 PM
The rumor is that customs has scored the shipment. It might be held up for three months, or forever! Homeland Security and the DEA is rumored to be involved also, something about those 150 pound boxes the 450 pound lathes come in has got their attention. I don't think Immigration is involved, . . . yet.

Of course it is also possible that there is still a lot of crap piled up on the docks trying to get unloaded and sorted. The slowdowns and stoppages could take a long time to get untangled with the huge tonnage that the docks normally handle every day. I don't have a clue. Stirring the pot and starting rumors seems like the only activity I'll see for awhile. Sure glad that I didn't take my old lathe out of the way like I planned to do but have been too busy to get done. Checking if my credit card has been billed. If it has, I'm going to tell them to give me my money back until the lathe is ready to ship since that is when they said they would take the money and apparently they don't really have a clue when the lathes are shipping to customers. My bet is that Grizzly hasn't seen the lathes or is just seeing them. If Burt didn't ship what was ordered and what was advertised . . . . .

Speculation is rife, the stomach is churning, and the internet forums are burning! Does the G-0766 really exist? Did it ever exist? Will it ever exist? Stay tuned to this forum to find out!

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-22-2015, 4:32 PM
The rumor is that customs has scored the shipment. It might be held up for three months, or forever! Homeland Security and the DEA is rumored to be involved also, something about those 150 pound boxes the 450 pound lathes come in has got their attention. I don't think Immigration is involved, . . . yet.

Of course it is also possible that there is still a lot of crap piled up on the docks trying to get unloaded and sorted. The slowdowns and stoppages could take a long time to get untangled with the huge tonnage that the docks normally handle every day. I don't have a clue. Stirring the pot and starting rumors seems like the only activity I'll see for awhile. Sure glad that I didn't take my old lathe out of the way like I planned to do but have been too busy to get done. Checking if my credit card has been billed. If it has, I'm going to tell them to give me my money back until the lathe is ready to ship since that is when they said they would take the money and apparently they don't really have a clue when the lathes are shipping to customers. My bet is that Grizzly hasn't seen the lathes or is just seeing them. If Burt didn't ship what was ordered and what was advertised . . . . .

Speculation is rife, the stomach is churning, and the internet forums are burning! Does the G-0766 really exist? Did it ever exist? Will it ever exist? Stay tuned to this forum to find out!

Hu

Hu, according to the Asst. Mgr at Springfield Dist. center, they charged my card, only meaning to put a hold, but they have now taken that hold off and my funds are there in the bank........I offered to let them keep the money, but he said they did not want to do that, but wait until the lathe actually ships.

I know that Grizzly is pushing the shippers on this, but I suspect you are correct about docks being piled up . I am supposed to be updated personally by this guy who took this action on his own to communicate with me........he wants to avoid as much confusion as possible, so I look forward to hearing from him. He did say it is possible that they may arrive earlier than a couple of weeks but we have to see how that plays out.

By the way........those crates.........the PM 3520b comes packed in cardboard. The G0766 will arrive in a wooden crate, with lots of extra small pieces of plywood put together to make the risers for pallet jacks and is all put together with metal bracing and strapping, so when you get that crate, you will be able to use the plywood for building something if you like! That accounts for the extra shipping weight on the thing.

hu lowery
05-22-2015, 7:19 PM
Hu, according to the Asst. Mgr at Springfield Dist. center, they charged my card, only meaning to put a hold, but they have now taken that hold off and my funds are there in the bank........I offered to let them keep the money, but he said they did not want to do that, but wait until the lathe actually ships.

I know that Grizzly is pushing the shippers on this, but I suspect you are correct about docks being piled up . I am supposed to be updated personally by this guy who took this action on his own to communicate with me........he wants to avoid as much confusion as possible, so I look forward to hearing from him. He did say it is possible that they may arrive earlier than a couple of weeks but we have to see how that plays out.

By the way........those crates.........the PM 3520b comes packed in cardboard. The G0766 will arrive in a wooden crate, with lots of extra small pieces of plywood put together to make the risers for pallet jacks and is all put together with metal bracing and strapping, so when you get that crate, you will be able to use the plywood for building something if you like! That accounts for the extra shipping weight on the thing.

Roger,

I understand crating overkill. In the many years I have shipped things to others I have never had a damaged item. Sometimes the packaging weighed more than what I was shipping but everything gets there. A hundred and fifty pounds still sounds like a lot of wood. Wish it would be some exotic wood like Henry Ford used to get from South America. He would only accept spanish moss in wooden crates then he used the crates of exotic wood to make dashboards, door panels, and such. A thinking man.

Hu

David C. Roseman
05-22-2015, 9:03 PM
Roger,

I understand crating overkill. In the many years I have shipped things to others I have never had a damaged item. Sometimes the packaging weighed more than what I was shipping but everything gets there. A hundred and fifty pounds still sounds like a lot of wood. Wish it would be some exotic wood like Henry Ford used to get from South America. He would only accept spanish moss in wooden crates then he used the crates of exotic wood to make dashboards, door panels, and such. A thinking man.

Hu

Hu, the plywood my G0733 came in three years ago may not have met Mr. Ford's requirements for dashboards, but it was pretty nice. :) Repurposed it for a ballast box that holds 450 lbs of masonry sand. I suspect the crates for the G0766 will be similar:

David C. Roseman
05-22-2015, 9:10 PM
[snip]

Hu

In further news, Grizzly HQ announces that it has added three dozen customer service personnel to handle the crush of emails and telephone calls from expectant purchasers of the new G0766 wood lathe inquiring of latest delivery status. :D

Roger Chandler
05-22-2015, 9:26 PM
In further news, Grizzly HQ announces that it has added three dozen customer service personnel to handle the crush of emails and telephone calls from expectant purchasers of the new G0766 wood lathe inquiring of latest delivery status. :D

In all honesty, David.......if Grizzly CS had gotten it's story correct and given out correct information to all who called, this entire thing could have been avoided! To be fair, they probably thought they were giving correct information! One person gets one answer, another gets another answer, one gets one date and another another date, and it ends up being confusion! Of course, depending on when a particular customer ordered and what part of the country they are in does affect the date of shipment!

Now, I was told by one CS rep that the lathes were on American soil, and between the port and distribution center..........the gentleman who called me told me they had not arrived yet. She probably thought that was the case, but reliable information seems sketchy, and no doubt the CS reps were just going by what was the normal sequence that "usually" happens. I think there must have been some unusual occurrences with this model, with production delays, and the work slow down at the ports........

I said it before, and I will repeat it.......American consumers are just not used to having to wait on things they purchase, and it generally ticks them off when they have to! :eek:;)

BTW.........I think the pot is beginning to boil! :D

David C. Roseman
05-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Roger, I think you're right about the boiling pot! Temperature's rising, for sure!

I suspect that what's happened with the G0766 traces back to the timing of a decision Grizzly's marketing dept. had to make in early or mid-2014. Faced with a publication deadline for their 2015 catalog, do they include the lathe in the hard copy while still uncertain as to how early in the New Year they'd be able to deliver them. Unless Grizzly typically prints multiple runs of their paper catalog throughout the year, I can see how that might have been a tough call to make back then. With 20/20 hindsight, they might well have handled this differently. I'd be curious as to whether they've ever had such a groundswell of anticipation over the rollout of one of their large bench machines.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Roger, I think you're right about the boiling pot! Temperature's rising, for sure!

I suspect that what's happened with the G0766 traces back to the timing of a decision Grizzly's marketing dept. had to make in early or mid-2014. Faced with a publication deadline for their 2015 catalog, do they include the lathe in the hard copy while still uncertain as to how early in the New Year they'd be able to deliver them. Unless Grizzly typically prints multiple runs of their paper catalog throughout the year, I can see how that might have been a tough call to make back then. With 20/20 hindsight, they might well have handled this differently. I'd be curious as to whether they've ever had such a groundswell of anticipation over the rollout of one of their large bench machines.

Yes........I remember that the original timing for delivery was thought to be Feb. 14th.........that was probably the info they got from the factory. Hard to rely on the Chinese.......just look at all the problems with copyright infringement and such they have committed.....even down to copying the stealth jet fighters!

Bob Bergstrom
05-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Henry Ford also had the oak crates that the engines were packed in sawed to the same size as the boards in the Floor of his cars. Dissembled the crates and dropped them into the cars bodywork. They also recycled all metal right down to the metal from drilling the holes. Visiting the Foed Museum in Detroit is a great adventure.

david privett
05-23-2015, 10:49 AM
just to firm up bad news for some of us I ordered the g0766 on mar 31 and was given a may 22 date so I called them on the 22nd and was told that it would be June 22 approx. and they really expressed the approx. part. good thing I have not sold the old lathe yet.

Jim Sevey
05-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Not to depress anyone further, but I ordered mine January 2. Just checked my invoice. anyone out there order before that?

i just blew a belt on my old lathe and found the 766 while browsing. Ordered the same day. My only request is that they take a serious look at their supply chain and give me a genuine date. I can't take these emotional ups and downs😖😖.

James Conrad
05-24-2015, 6:50 AM
Jim, I ordered January 3rd, accidentally wrote Feb. 3rd on my previous post. I'm 6th in line, Roger is 1st, so I'd imagine you're in between there and in the first shipment.

Mike Goetzke
05-24-2015, 8:53 AM
Not to depress anyone further, but I ordered mine January 2. Just checked my invoice. anyone out there order before that?

i just blew a belt on my old lathe and found the 766 while browsing. Ordered the same day. My only request is that they take a serious look at their supply chain and give me a genuine date. I can't take these emotional ups and downs.

Something smells fishy here - thread started May 1st that lathes are on there way, a month later, nine pages of comments and no deliveries? Wonder if there is more to it than a "supply chain" issue?

Roger Chandler
05-24-2015, 1:40 PM

i just blew a belt on my old lathe and found the 766 while browsing. Ordered the same day. My only request is that they take a serious look at their supply chain and give me a genuine date. I can't take these emotional ups and downs.

I was told by one CS rep there were 23 units in the first shipment and 59 on back order, so you should be in the first round that ships out. I think the back orders will roll in much more quickly than the initial order.

Roger Chandler
05-24-2015, 1:47 PM
Something smells fishy here - thread started May 1st that lathes are on there way, a month later, nine pages of comments and no deliveries? Wonder if there is more to it than a "supply chain" issue?

Ths CS reps were going on the "confirmed date" that the factory gave them............that was to the port and misunderstood by some to mean at the distribution center. Turns out they were a bit later [not sure if a week, or a few days more] but the Asst. Mgr. of the Missouri distribution center told me he thought that it would all be resolved in a few more days........they had to clear customs, etc, and I am not sure how all that process is carried out.

I can be patient for a bit longer........it will turn out okay!

hu lowery
05-24-2015, 2:17 PM
I was told by one CS rep there were 23 units in the first shipment and 59 on back order, so you should be in the first round that ships out. I think the back orders will roll in much more quickly than the initial order.

Roger,

I hate to say it but CS rep's as a group have zero credibility with me at this point. My order on May 20th was supposed to be the 90somethenth ordered and I was told there would be enough in the first shipment to fill all back orders including mine. The lathe will get here when it gets here but meantime I am past believing any information coming from Grizzly. They are rapidly becoming the Dell of the machine world. When they oversell something they will eventually ship to the people they can't sell something else to or piss off enough they cancel an order. Look for a very large price increase in next years catalog.

I have considered it all a joke until now, reading one more radically different set of details is enough to annoy me. My delivery date just moved to the fall if your info is correct! I'll wait on this lathe but I'll make a point of buying from other suppliers whenever possible if this latest information is correct. Was thinking about ordering a few hundred dollars worth of more stuff from them as I was sitting here, . . . until I read your last post!

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-24-2015, 2:37 PM
Roger,

I hate to say it but CS rep's as a group have zero credibility with me at this point. My order on May 20th was supposed to be the 90somethenth ordered and I was told there would be enough in the first shipment to fill all back orders including mine. The lathe will get here when it gets here but meantime I am past believing any information coming from Grizzly. They are rapidly becoming the Dell of the machine world. When they oversell something they will eventually ship to the people they can't sell something else to or piss off enough they cancel an order. Look for a very large price increase in next years catalog.

I have considered it all a joke until now, reading one more radically different set of details is enough to annoy me. My delivery date just moved to the fall if your info is correct! I'll wait on this lathe but I'll make a point of buying from other suppliers whenever possible if this latest information is correct. Was thinking about ordering a few hundred dollars worth of more stuff from them as I was sitting here, . . . until I read your last post!

Hu

Hu.....all along there has been indications from CS that there would be multiple shipments.........nothing I, nor anyone else has posted has mentioned a fall delivery date. The latest I remember being mentioned is the third shipment arriving in July.

True there was wrong info given by some CS reps, but from what I understand, it was because of that "confirmed date" that was in their system, based on info from the Shandong factory, which turned out to be innacurrate. [production delays and port slow downs....who knows?] The reps were going on this info when replying to inquiries.

I personally do not think Grizzly has control of the entire process, and has to deal with the hiccups, and the customer rage, and are likely in an untenable situation and are doing all in their power to get customers taken care of as quickly as the circumstances they are dealt allow them to do so.

David Cramer
05-26-2015, 8:08 AM
The last conversation I had with a CSR @ Grizzly said the 15th of May was a "confirmed" date. She checked on my specific order by the order number...........not sure how the person you spoke with looked up your request.......not sure how they work out all the logistics? We are certainly getting close, so we will see how it all works out!

Roger,

Respectfully, your "confirmed" date of 11 days ago was not truly confirmed as all of the supposed snafus (shipping, etc...) were surely worked into that "confirmed" date on your specific order or how was it "confirmed"? Confirmed means it's official and that they know they'll have it by a certain date and when it will be delivered.

Regardless of what they are telling you, your order being number 1 or 21 shouldn't matter as they are not just sending 1 out the first day that they deliver them to customers.

I mean Wow!, even though it has to arrive eventually, I truly feel bad for a lot of you who seem to have been strung along. In the same situation, I'd be like Hu at this point and have a hard time giving the CS at Grizzly any credibility. Is this typical for Grizzly with new releases or is it all to be blamed on shipping and docks holding merchandise?

David

hu lowery
05-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Roger,

Respectfully, your "confirmed" date of 11 days ago was not truly confirmed as all of the supposed snafus (shipping, etc...) were surely worked into that "confirmed" date on your specific order or how was it "confirmed"? Confirmed means it's official and that they know they'll have it by a certain date and when it will be delivered.

Regardless of what they are telling you, your order being number 1 or 21 shouldn't matter as they are not just sending 1 out the first day that they deliver them to customers.

I mean Wow!, even though it has to arrive eventually, I truly feel bad for a lot of you who seem to have been strung along. In the same situation, I'd be like Hu at this point and have a hard time giving the CS at Grizzly any credibility. Is this typical for Grizzly with new releases or is it all to be blamed on shipping and docks holding merchandise?

David

David,

At this point I don't believe the first 766 has ever left the factory. The new dates indicate they haven't. Order something on E-Bay from china and you will get it in about that time or less. These dates seem to indicate leaving the factory today, um tomorrow, um maybe next week, um maybe next month, um they are gonna leave the factory . . . . . Burt has offered this lathe since 2012. Apparently they just finally sold it to somebody this year, Grizzly. Meantime, Burt ain't tooled up to make it. My bet is the delay is headstock and tailstock castings which are different than anything else produced before. Everything else is pretty much off the shelf items.

Hu

Roger Chandler
05-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Roger,

David

David........that confirmed date was what the factory gave to Grizzly, and what the CS reps were going off of, and from which all of us purchasers got our information from them. Turns out, there was some delay.......now what exactly was the delay, I do not know for sure........a couple of things have been mentioned .......[production delay, slow down at ports, which I thought had been resolved, and getting through customs was also mentioned to me.]

Now, I have a call in to the guy who called me from the Missouri distribution center on 5/21.......I am hoping to get the latest, and hopefully find out where the lathes actually are.............stay tuned!

Mike Holbrook
05-26-2015, 10:59 AM
It is a proven fact that the more people involved in passing information along the more that message gets garbled and distorted. This is why large companies try to make announcements from the top down. Apple, learned this the hard way, everyone wants to know what new products will be available and when. Apple fights tooth and nail to keep the left hand and right hand from trying to divulge premature information to the market place. It upsets the news media looking for a way to spin new information but they respect their clients enough to not leak information. If the largest company in the world can do it Grizzly can too. It may not be easy to do but if Apple can do it so can they. The problem is the left hand trying to guess or assume from incomplete info. what is going on with the right hand. It requires a tight management hand to keep that from happening, especially when customer service people start trying to interpret information from another part of the world on their own.

I'm not trying to pick on Grizzly as this is IMHO a pervasive issue with many products these days. The internet speeds things up within a global market place and allows people to shop the best prices, lowering revenues. Unfortunately, in my experience, lower priced products results in less customer service. People know Apple products are not the least expensive but they buy them for reasons other than price. It seems to me that we are not being realistic if we expect top customer service from a company bringing a product to the market at dramatically lower prices. Although buying premium products is not a guarantee of better customer service, longer warranties and higher revenues do provide vendor incentives.

Roger Chandler
05-26-2015, 12:09 PM
It is a proven fact that the more people involved in passing information along the more that message gets garbled and distorted. This is why large companies try to make announcements from the top down. Apple, learned this the hard way, everyone wants to know what new products will be available and when. Apple fights tooth and nail to keep the left hand and right hand from trying to divulge premature information to the market place. It upsets the news media looking for a way to spin new information but they respect their clients enough to not leak information. If the largest company in the world can do it Grizzly can too. It may not be easy to do but if Apple can do it so can they. The problem is the left hand trying to guess or assume from incomplete info. what is going on with the right hand. It requires a tight management hand to keep that from happening, especially when customer service people start trying to interpret information from another part of the world on their own.

I'm not trying to pick on Grizzly as this is IMHO a pervasive issue with many products these days. The internet speeds things up within a global market place and allows people to shop the best prices, lowering revenues. Unfortunately, in my experience, lower priced products results in less customer service. People know Apple products are not the least expensive but they buy them for reasons other than price. It seems to me that we are not being realistic if we expect top customer service from a company bringing a product to the market at dramatically lower prices. Although buying premium products is not a guarantee of better customer service, longer warranties and higher revenues do provide vendor incentives.

Mike.........I agree with your observations here..........cannot argue with your logic in this post. I sure hope definitive information is forthcoming in short order.......somebody at Grizzly knows exactly where these things are, I would think! RFID tags should go on shipments [I would think!] Scans at the ports, etc should be able to tell whether or not the shipment has arrived on U.S. soil [I would think!] I guess this is more of the sort of thing you were just speaking to! :eek:

Marty Tippin
05-26-2015, 12:59 PM
What would be truly helpful would be for any of what must be several Grizzly employees who are following this discussion to actually post a comment or two and clear up the confusion. And if Grizzly *isn't* following this thread (even covertly), they're really missing an opportunity to see how their company is being perceived in the community...

I applaud those of you who are sticking with Grizzly - especially Roger the Eternal Optimist (!) - but at this point if I were in the market for a new lathe, I'd either buy a Grizzly lathe that has been proven to exist (like the G0733) or I'd look elsewhere.

Fortunately, I'm not in the market and can just read these threads with amusement and shake my head at Grizzly's complete mismanagement of this new product rollout... ;-)

hu lowery
05-26-2015, 3:15 PM
What would be truly helpful would be for any of what must be several Grizzly employees who are following this discussion to actually post a comment or two and clear up the confusion. And if Grizzly *isn't* following this thread (even covertly), they're really missing an opportunity to see how their company is being perceived in the community...

I applaud those of you who are sticking with Grizzly - especially Roger the Eternal Optimist (!) - but at this point if I were in the market for a new lathe, I'd either buy a Grizzly lathe that has been proven to exist (like the G0733) or I'd look elsewhere.

Fortunately, I'm not in the market and can just read these threads with amusement and shake my head at Grizzly's complete mismanagement of this new product rollout... ;-)

Marty,

This isn't the worst new product rollout I have seen but there is still time to get there!

Hu

Dennis Collier
05-26-2015, 5:43 PM
While Ill agree that Grizzly has completely dropped the ball with this rollout, I have dealt with their CS personally with other machines I have purchased. They gave me a full refund once on a machine that went defective after the warranty. Thats only one example of exceptional CS. The only other tool company CS I have had to deal with is Teknatool and that was a nightmare.

Grizzly CS does indeed follow threads. The owner is even a member at some WW sites and posts. Im sure they are well aware of this thread and Im surprised someone from there hasn't posted. I agree it would be helpful for someone in the know to respond and keep everyone on the same page. It would cut down on their phone calls too!