PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for painting a Bilco door?

Matt Meiser
05-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Our Bilco door (outside basement entrance door) is in need of paint. I pressure washed it about 16 shades lighter but there are numerous scratches and dings that have started to rust so I need to clean/stabilize/whatever those and repaint. Any recommendations on process and products that will be relatively low maintenance long term?

Andrew DiLorenzo
05-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Use a phosphate compound to convert the rust. Prime with a quality product. Sand any major "bumps" smooth and spot prime again if needed. My paint preference is for Sherwin Williams despite what Consumer Reports says is the best paint. I like oil paint for metal, but have concerns with an oil paint drying outside without getting dust on it. One work around is a chemical drying agent that speeds up the tack phase. If that is not for you, use a latex enamel (or semi-gloss) and give about three coats if the door sees a lot of use. Consider the use of a small four inch roller, since you do not seem to have a lot of square footage to cover. Save some paint in a small jar for touchups.

I enjoy painting, but not so much I want to repaint something too often. I hope this helps.

Neil Gaskin
05-02-2015, 9:36 PM
If you can remove the doors from the frame I would recommend having them blasted and powder coated. If you do not know of a local powder coater call a few fabrications shops and they should be able to help.

If that isnt in the cards, a good wire brushing, rush converting primer, then something similiar to Benamin Moores DTM

Matt Meiser
05-02-2015, 9:53 PM
The doors are only about 1/2 the total surface area. We have an extra-tall basement so there's more stairs than typical and therefore an extension between the usual wedge-shaped assembly and the house.

Sherwin Williams guy recommended not messing with any of the rust converts as they don't work particularly well and can cause adhesion problems according to him. He said wire brush, sand, prime with their oil-based primer and enamel paint system which he was able to tint to match a piece of siding I took. So that's what we did this afternoon. Looked good at dusk--hopefully not too much crud sticks to it before its tack-free.