PDA

View Full Version : Moisture metering of Hollow Forms?

John Sincerbeaux
04-30-2015, 10:39 PM
What moisture meter do you use when turning large HF's? Not sure if it is any different than measuring the moisture content of a bowl or a platter?
I read some reviews on various MM's for general woodworking but was curious what wood turners prefer?
I am leaning towards the Lignomat (mini DX/C) which is a "pin" type.

Thanks for for your thoughts.

David Gilbert
05-01-2015, 10:25 AM
I don't do hollow forms but do have a Harbor Freight pin style moisture meter. I paid all of about $14 for it. For the price I didn't think that I could go wrong however I'm not sure that it is all that accurate. I use it as a secondary method of determining the moisture since it gives +/- 3% readings on a piece. My preferred method is to weight the piece on a scale and track the weight change.

Cheers,
David

John Keeton
05-01-2015, 11:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I doubt many folks use a meter on forms. I have the Lignomat, and used it for air dried stock used in flat work, but have not seen the need for turnings.

John Sincerbeaux
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I could be wrong, but I doubt many folks use a meter on forms. I have the Lignomat, and used it for air dried stock used in flat work, but have not seen the need for turnings.

If you turn a large or medium size HF green, then how would you know when the form is dry enough for the final turning?
Do most guys go off of weighing? A friend of mine turns large HF's and uses a Lignomat as well. He won't "final turn" till the piece is 7-8%. He dries them in a de-humidified room.
I was curious to see what other guys use?

thanks

Glen Blanchard
05-01-2015, 1:04 PM
I don't turn any forms that would be considered large (typically 6" diameter) and I don't know if the protocol would change for larger rough outs, but I merely weigh mine.

Dennis Ford
05-01-2015, 5:44 PM
I have a "General" moisture meter that I bought at Lowes a couple of years ago - $10. It is much better than I expected but I rarely use it for bowl or hollow form rough-outs. I have accumulated plenty of rough-outs and usually have several that are more than a year old; those are as dry as they will get where I store them (10 - 12% depending on time of year).

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-01-2015, 7:00 PM
I recently sold my Lignomat because it is way overkill for bowls. That is a meter meant for furniture makers who really need to know their is wood is dry. If you air dry a hollow form and follow the rules of 1" of thickness per year of drying weather, you will be fine. Bowls and hollow forms move anyway. even if dry. First of all, unless you kiln dry wood, it is difficult to get the wood really dry. Of course, if you live in a dry climate the rules change. Secondly, removing wood during second turning releases stresses in the wood that allow it to move.
faust