PDA

View Full Version : Earlex 5500 vs Earlex 6003

Dave Egan
04-30-2015, 1:21 PM
Anyone know if it is worth the extra money to buy the 3 stage Earlex 6003 instead of the 2 stage 5500($200+ difference)? I plan on spraying latex paint, water based stains and topcoats as well as lacquers and shellac. Currently using the Rockler spray station with borderline results with paint, shellac and water based poly. I am a home hobbyist with hopes to do more high end work. Finishing has always been a challenge.

Curt Harms
05-01-2015, 8:51 AM
You'll likely have better luck with thicker finishes with the 6003. You'll need to thin paint either way, you'd need to thin more with the 5500. I have a 5000 and have sprayed 'latex' - actually exterior acrylic enamel with satisfactory results. You might also research finishes intended for spraying rather than a coating intended to be applied with a roller or brush. I believe some use tinted lacquer for spraying when they want a solid color..

David Huston
05-02-2015, 1:26 AM
I haven't used the 6003 but I used to have have 5500 and it worked out very well. I found a good deal on a 3 stage Fuji and upgraded to that. I haven't sprayed latex through either one though. Target coatings sells water based laquer that they will tint to any Benjamin Moore color. You might want to look at that for anything that isn't clear. I would rent an airless for anything that had to be latex.

Stuart Welsh
11-15-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm puzzled by this...
You'll likely have better luck with thicker finishes with the 6003. You'll need to thin paint either way, you'd need to thin more with the 5500. I have a 5000 and have sprayed 'latex' - actually exterior acrylic enamel with satisfactory results. You might also research finishes intended for spraying rather than a coating intended to be applied with a roller or brush. I believe some use tinted lacquer for spraying when they want a solid color..

I purchased a 5500 and have yet to use it. I was in a Sherwin Williams store specifically to get advice on spraying with hvlp. While the guy there was not familiar with Earlex he did state that to get quality results with any machine when spraying water based paint you need at least 4 stages. He advised against 1,2 or 3 stage machines. Based on this I would assume that if 4 is preferable to 3 then 3 is preferable to 2. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Art Mann
11-15-2015, 5:13 PM
I have always gotten better results with Latex using an airless rather than HVLP sprayer.