PDA

View Full Version : Engraver Battery Backup

David Sabot
04-29-2015, 3:46 PM
I have a UPS backup on my engraving computers, but I am looking for some advice on a battery backup for my engraving machine. We have a GCC Spirit 40 Watt machine, and here in Florida we can get a power outage when the sky is clear, usually lasting just 2 seconds. Was looking for something that would allow the machine to keep running for a few seconds so I didn't lose the piece I was working on.

Any advice?

Paul hardy
04-29-2015, 4:51 PM
It's probably a bit of overkill for what you are talking about, but we've had our 36x48 engraver running on a Cyber Power 1500AVR for about 2 years now. It's saved the job a couple of times now.

Kev Williams
04-30-2015, 12:35 AM
To have a backup do any good, it'll have to last longer than a few seconds, so you can finish the bounding box it's engraving.
Whether you pause because the power went out, or because you know it's going to be gone in a few seconds,
if you stop in the middle of the bounding box, trying to pick up the engraving where it left off sometimes doesn't work so well...

Oddly enough, my elcheapo Chinese Triumph has a "power off re-start" function, and it works too- if the power shuts off for
any reason while it's engraving, it'll start back exactly where it left off on power up. I can just turn off the power switch
in the middle of the job at midnight, wake up, turn it on and press start and it'll finish up perfectly...

When I DO turn off the power switches, it takes like 5 seconds before it actually shuts off. I'm assuming there's a capacitor
that keeps power to the control box a few seconds, which is plenty of time for it to pause and save the machine's position
in memory... I guess! All I know is, it works. I just wish all my expensive hardware would do that!

Julian Ashcroft
04-30-2015, 2:30 AM
I had a power failure when my laser was in the middle of a job, once the power came back on I turned the machine back on and pressed the start button and the laser continued from where it left off, which was handy.