PDA

View Full Version : Good New & Bad News

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2005, 9:30 PM
The Good News: I have been having horrible stomache pain for several months...( didn't know that is what it was) so went to the doctor today and thank god they are going to rip my gallbladder out on August 19th. Been having 2-3 attacks a week. Couldn't hack that to much more. What the heck, just spare parts! Glad to get rid of it!

Oh yeah, also I got my Pat Warner bases for my new Dewalt 618 Plunger and Fixed Base PK. Can't wait to put them on. Now just waiting for the adjustment knob for the New DW625 in the router table.

The Bad News: Geico didn't save me sqwatt!!

Corey

john whittaker
08-08-2005, 9:39 PM
Good luck with the extra parts removal. You should feel MUCH better with your gall removed. Hope they don't take your sense of humor....

I too have the DeWalt 618 and have used the heck out of it and am very satisfied with the performance. Just used the DeWalt edge guide for the first time (new purchase) on some mortise's and it was excellent. Very easy to adjust.

How do you like the quality of Pat Warner's bases? They look very well made on his site.

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2005, 9:48 PM
Thanks Jim!! The bases look and fit great, but haven't taken them for a spin. I got the round base with the template hole and the standard hole on the offsett base. The router set itself is such a smooth router. I picked up some new 1/2 shank bits and used the edge clamp/guide and made some practice dados. I just love it. Used it with a corebox bit and did some letter strokes, so much more control than my old craftsman and the motor is so smooth and easy to adjust. Have considered the dewalt edge guide but not sure I need it with the 18, 24 and 50 inch clamp guides that I bought.

Corey

Richard Wolf
08-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Good luck Corey, hope it all works out.

Richard

Norman Hitt
08-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Boy, Oh Boy, Some Guys will just go to ANY lengths to keep from having to Sand a Hardwood Floor, won't they? :D :D

Hey Cory, I'm sure glad to hear that it was something that, in relation to other Maladies, is fairly easy to Fix. Good luck with your surgery, and here's hoping you'll be feeling "Much Better", Real Soon, so you can enjoy those New Toys.

Peter Pedisich
08-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Corey,

Best wishes for a speedy and comfortable recovery.

Pete

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-08-2005, 11:07 PM
You've got my support during the surgery and afterward. Don't get fresh with nurses or they snatch the bed pan away.

Dan Forman
08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Cory---Hoping all goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Dan

Keith Christopher
08-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Dang, couldn't save on the car insurance. That sucks.

All seriousness. best of luck with the surgery. I'll be sure and drop a line to the lord for ya.

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys, I will be just fine, glad to get rid of the pain. Mostly this post was just an excuse to post on my new bases. Norman going to have to get as much done on the floor as I can before 8-19!!

Thanks,
Corey

Jim Marshall
08-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Corey, we wish you the best on your surgery. We will send a prayer up for you. Been there and done that with the gallbladder, you will feel so much better afterwards.

We hope you are back out in the shop soon using your new toy.

Frank Hagan
08-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Good luck with the surgery. I think if you ask nicely, they will give you your old parts back (wait, maybe that's the auto shop ...)

Bill Neely
08-09-2005, 1:57 AM
Thanks guys, I will be just fine, glad to get rid of the pain. Mostly this post was just an excuse to post on my new bases. Norman going to have to get as much done on the floor as I can before 8-19!!

Thanks,
Corey

I had mine out several years ago laparoscopically. The surgeon was going to give me the stone but it was too big to get out the hole. About 1" in diameter, had to break it up.:eek: I felt much better afterward.:)

Good luck.

Vaughn McMillan
08-09-2005, 4:00 AM
Cory, some people will do anything to keep from having to post pictures for the gloat police. That's a pretty sneaky way to get around the rules.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery after the tune-up, and don't over-do it with the hardwood floor between now and then.

- Vaughn

scott spencer
08-09-2005, 5:50 AM
Talk about rapid weight loss! In a matter of seconds you'll by shy several ounces!

Talk it easy afterward Corey...it's a long recovery....(good thing we're young huh?! ;) )

Dale Rodabaugh
08-09-2005, 5:56 AM
Hope everything goes as smooth as silk,good luck,and God bless.:) :) :)

John Hart
08-09-2005, 7:07 AM
Good luck to you Corey...Hope you're ready to rock and roll soon after!:) Here's to a speedy recovery!

Jeff Sudmeier
08-09-2005, 8:56 AM
Corey,

Good luck with your spare parts removal!

Geico didn't save me squat either! Actually would have been $200 more per 6 months.

Jim Becker
08-09-2005, 9:27 AM
Been there...done that. Fortunately, in most cases they can do the gall blader via Laproscopy which makes for a reasonably fast "recovery". You still need to take it easy since it's still major surgery internally, but at least the external damage and abuse of the muscles is minimal. The good news is that once your system is back online, you'll feel much better.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Been there...done that. Fortunately, in most cases they can do the gall blader via Laproscopy which makes for a reasonably fast "recovery". You still need to take it easy since it's still major surgery internally, but at least the external damage and abuse of the muscles is minimal. The good news is that once your system is back online, you'll feel much better.As another data point, a friend of mine (who is a nurse) had it done that way: scheduled the surgery right after the shift before her day off, was back at work 48 hours later. Unless there are adhesions/scar tissue from previous procedures in that area, internal damage is minimal...biggest issue for her was the itching from the stitches at her navel.:eek:

Don Baer
08-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Cory,
Good luck with the surgery. I'm sure you'll feel much better when it's all done.

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys, they plan on doing the Laproscopy if they can. Some complications with another scenario may make it necessary to go the old route. The doctor ordred a week R&R. I will use the time to draw up some plans for built ins on the living room remodel. Thanks all!

Corey

Brad Townsend
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Had mine removed about five years ago Corey. Had "indigestion" periodically for years and never knew it had a real cause. Just thought my stomach was sensitive to certain foods.

It was scoped and recovery was fast. Haven't had a problem since and I can eat anything.:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2005, 6:15 PM
Corey,

Good luck with your surgery. I just got out and am feeling a lot better. Passed 4 kidney stones. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH ouch. Anyway hope things go well.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
08-09-2005, 7:06 PM
Darn Bernie! That had to hurt!! Glad to hear you are doing better!!

Thanks,
Corey

Gail O'Rourke
08-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Yikes, this post wasnt what I expected. Good luck Corey.

Ted Shrader
08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Corey -

You will feel much better after that. I had mine out several years ago. Those attacks are REALLY painful.

Take it easy during your recovery and don't over-do. The laproscopy doesn't get into very much muscle, but still they are a little weak.

Regards,
Ted

Greg Tatum
08-10-2005, 8:53 PM
Good luck with the surgery...ask for the gall bladder and then dry it and sell it on ebay...could be good for tool money....make sure you walk as soon after surgery as possible....this will help wake up the bowels after anesthesia and prevent complications.

Greg

Corey Hallagan
08-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys! Greg, thanks on the info. Buy the way, your kidding on asking for the gallbladder right? :(

Corey

Alden Miller
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Corey, you will soon be a new initiate in the club...

I went through what you are going through a year ago in June. It had two benefits. I got rid of the pains in the stomach and the nausea. Added bonus was I missed out on a trip for work to Oklahoma!

Seriously, if they can do it laproscopically (sp?) you will be up and about in less than a week. My doc had me hold off on lifting sheets of plywood for a while but it's a pretty straight forward deal now.

Take a digital camera! I did, my doc had a blast, took pictures of everything. Forgot to tell my wife I was ok, wanted to show the pictures off instead.

-Alden

John A. Williams
08-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Good luck to ya on the surgery, and congrats on the new toys, ah, tools.

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys! Alden, I am missing a trip for work to Sacramento that I was actually looking forward to. Will end up going later I am sure!

Corey

Bill Fields
08-11-2005, 2:02 AM
Corey--

Don't be like me and ignore the Doctor's orders to REALLY take it easy. I have been thru so many torso surgeries that I can't recall them all.

In each case I ignored the "take it really easy for XX weeks" orders.

I have paid the price of longer than expected recovery, and in one case (colon re-section) they had to completely re-construct all the exterior bindings and stitches. 4 more days in the place. One lousy bad-timed sneeze!

Good luck, and keep up the posts re: router bases. I have 3 routers and have done little work lately. Looking fwd to actually doing something.

Bill Fields

Lee DeRaud
08-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Take a digital camera! I did, my doc had a blast, took pictures of everything. Forgot to tell my wife I was ok, wanted to show the pictures off instead.Better yet, have the doctor run you off a copy of the tape from the 'scope camera. Just the thing to liven up dull dinner parties!:cool:

Michael Gabbay
08-11-2005, 1:22 PM
Corey - Good luck on the surgery. We DON"T need to see the surgery pictures! :eek:

Mike

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-11-2005, 1:45 PM
Corey...Having gone through this several years ago...had the old fashioned several inches cut open....it is no joy. With luck, you will qualify for the newer, simpler process.

If you Dr. has not already told you, stay away from anything with beef in it. On the way home from my Dr's appointment where he scheduled additional tests to be done in a week, I stopped and had something that was made from beef stock...sent me into a fit of pain. Short story....I was rushed to the hospital that evening by a paramedic friend and in surgery within 20 minutes for emergency Gall Bladder surgery.

Best of luck and do what they tell you for a speedy recovery.

Today, all is fine and I eat whatever I want (and usually too much of it!)

Doug

Alden Miller
08-11-2005, 3:15 PM
Lee, I have those shots also. Kind of cool, shows the gallbladder being removed. The one that made me hurt was the shot of the surgeon holding my gallbladder in his hand and showing the very large stones that were in it.

-Alden

dale rex
08-13-2005, 8:38 PM
Had mine removed in March and what a relief! I was having so much back pain and around the side that I was glad to get it fixed. If it wasnt for the bellybutton hernia that I also had fixed(at the same time) I would have been back to work in 5 days! As it was, the hernia repair took me a little longer to recover from, but was only out 10 days total. Good luck with your surgery and have a speedy recovery.