PDA

View Full Version : Any decent inexpensive scanners for receipts out there?

Brian Elfert
04-29-2015, 7:27 AM
I am looking for a decent inexpensive scanner for scanning in receipts. Can anyone recommend one? I will not be scanning in photos or anything like that. I don't know if I need a flatbed scanner or not. A lot of what I will scan in is receipts from grocery stores and the like.

Grant Wilkinson
04-29-2015, 8:41 AM
Brian: I don't know what you would call inexpensive, but there is one

http://www.amazon.com/Neatreceipts-Portable-Scanner-For-Mac/dp/B00FX62TQE

You will find others like it by searching on portable scanners. I would stay away from flatbed and go with one like this one. Flat beds are great, but for receipts - a pain in the butt.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2015, 8:49 AM
Snap a pic with your phone maybe?

Brian Elfert
04-29-2015, 9:00 AM
I should have clarified that I would like to be around $100 or less. I am the treasurer for a Boy Scout troop. The troop is implementing a new web site that includes a financial accounting system. The financial portion includes the ability to attach a document to each financial transaction. I get a fair number of paper receipts that need to be scanned in.

I thought a flat bed scanner might be better for all the folded and wrinkled thermal paper receipts I get. If another type of scanner will work I am all for that.

Greg R Bradley
04-29-2015, 9:34 AM
A dedicated receipt scanner will be more convenient as they will feed the receipt even if it is folded or wrinkled. On a flatbed, you will have to get it flat enough that it will stay in place while you close the lid. A $50 Canon flatbed works great for low quantity one at a time scanning.

Don't forget you will need to save the file in a format that is compatible with that system. I'm afraid the dedicated receipt scanners may want to save it in their system. Neatreceipts used to have a proprietary system and keep trying to sell you additional services when you used it. I don't know if that is still true.

Brian Elfert
04-29-2015, 9:44 AM
I can attach any sort of file to the transactions in the financial system. PDF would probably be the best format, but JPEG or others would work too.

Robert Payne
04-29-2015, 11:16 AM
I own two Brother multifunction printers and have been very pleased with them. They have good scanners in them and will scan to file in a variety of formats -- here (http://www.staples.com/Brother-MFC-J870dw-Inkjet-All-in-One-Printer/product_57483?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:57483&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=57483&KPID=57483&kpid=57483&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgoKqBRDt_IfLr8y1iMUBEiQA8Ua7XV4swyAd aji3lTmf1HTgA7EQO3quLXx3uqI-306oFcIaAtea8P8HAQ) is a model of an inkjet version for under $100 that would easily meet your needs and provide much more than just scanning. It is wireless as well. I have a large format Brother Inkjet (MFC-6920DW) for duplex color printing on up to ledger sized paper and a B/W laser printer (MFC-7860DW) that is faster and duplexes up to legal sized. Both have automatic document feeders or can scan smaller items or even books on the scanner glass (both were under $300 each). I use them lots for all kinds of scanning and printing (I am not connected in any way with Brother or any of their retailers, just a happy customer).

Rich Lester
04-29-2015, 12:34 PM
As Steve said, if you have a smart phone there are apps available for free that will 'scan' via the camera and produce PDF files. I have an android based phone and use one called Fast Scanner by CoolMobileSolutions.
If you only need to do a scan once in awhile it works well. I don't think I would want to use it to catch up on back paper work although I wouldn't see why you couldn't just tedious holding the phone to take the scan.

Tony Joyce
04-29-2015, 8:32 PM
For android I use "Cam Scanner". Take picture, crop, it saves as PDF. Easy Peasy

Tony

Steve knight
04-29-2015, 8:40 PM
I know of one service that will take that pic of a receipt and turn it into something you can import into quickbooks and such. fro around 8.00 a month. seemed nice and handy.

Mike Cozad
04-30-2015, 8:52 PM
I needed the same for me expense receipts as I travel weekly for my current position. The easiest/best I've found is the native scanner part of the Google Drive app....

James Tibbetts
04-30-2015, 9:24 PM
I had a need for a multi function machine, copy/scan/print. I got a HP at Christmas for $35.00 or so. Watch Staples' adds. Seems like there is always one of them on special at any given time. Especially any holiday excuse for a sale.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-02-2015, 10:07 AM
My wife has the baseline Doxie scanner, mostly for checks, receipts, and invoices, and loves it. We got an older model for just under 100 bucks on sale. The new ones have lots of bells and whistles, but cost a lot more.

Ken Massingale
05-03-2015, 8:56 AM
++++++++++

Snap a pic with your phone maybe?

Brian Elfert
05-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Yes, a smartphone is a free option for this, but it is a pain to do over and over again. I keep forgetting to see if the scanner I can get from work has the power supply and everything else required to make it work.

Shawn Pachlhofer
05-03-2015, 11:13 AM
the Neat Receipts linked on Amazon above is perfect for what you are doing

You can catch it on sale for $99 - or if you go to their website and sign up they may send you some discount offers.