PDA

View Full Version : Morris Chair Plan

Dan Gill
08-08-2005, 7:46 PM
What is your favorite Morris chair plan? I'm planning to build one, and I think I want one with flat arms, or the angled arms. I thought I'd see what experiences the Creek has had.

Jim Becker
08-08-2005, 7:59 PM
I haven't built it, but I like the WOOD Magazine plan...the sculpted arms are my preference over the flat arm designs.

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-08-2005, 8:18 PM
Of all the ones I've seen, I like the WOOD plan best. I've made three of them, and the only thing 'tricky; is the bent arms, but they just look so gracecful it's worth it. I like this one more than any of the Stickley chairs, too.

KC

Dan Gill
08-08-2005, 8:31 PM
In the Wood plan, are the bent arms cut from 8/4 stock? All I have is 4/4, and I really don't want to buy any more right now.

Jason Tuinstra
08-08-2005, 8:56 PM
Dan, I've built a couple of these as well. I only had 4/4 available to me at the time as well. I just made sure that the wood was as close in color as possible. 8/4 would be better, but not necessary. Of all the chairs I've seen, I too still like the Wood plans the best. You just can't beat those curved arms.

Jim Becker
08-08-2005, 9:01 PM
Dan, if I recall, it's a bent lamination so if you do as Jason suggests and carefully match your two pieces of 4/4 stock, you should be able to do the arms quite nicely since you're slicing it up with your resaw blade at the bandsaw. Ideally, boards from the same log would be nice... ;)

Mike Circo
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Woodsmith Magazine has a nice plan that I expect to do "one of these days".

http://plansnow.com/morrischair.html

I saw someone post pictures of one he did an it turned out great.

Jim DeLaney
08-08-2005, 10:23 PM
I'll go against the popular opinions and recommend the plan that appeared in Fine Woodworking about ten years ago. (Sorry, I don't have the issue number readily available, but it ought to be available thru their website.)

It uses the straight arms, with the angled drop at the front, and bent back splats. It also has the through tenons at teh front and back of the arms. I did 'customize' the side slats on mine, but otherwise pretty much followed the plan.

Mike Circo
08-09-2005, 1:20 PM
Does the Wood magazine Morris chair have the adjustable back?

The traditional chairs have a back with 3 or 4 adjustment holes for various reclining angles.

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-09-2005, 2:50 PM
Yes, the WOOD plan has a three-place adjustable back. The plans call for the arms to be a bent lamination of several pieces of thin material.

If anyone decides to make the WOOD plan, I've discovered it's easier to glue up the arm laminations and use them as a template for cutting the arc on the top of the side assemblies. That way you know the arms will sit down properly, and you don't have to factor in springback, or cutting your templates incorrectly.

KC

Dan Gill
08-10-2005, 6:44 PM
Thanks to all for your input. I liked the spindles on the Woodsmith plan, but I decided I did like the curved arms on the Wood plan, and I am going with that one. The really good news is that I found the 6/4 wood that I need for $3.03 a board foot. I'm not sure how that happened. I get a price break at Austin Hardwoods in Dallas with my Tarrant County Woodworker's Association membership, but that price was less than what I had to pay for 4/4 several months back. Pics when it's finished.

Bob Nieman
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
What issue is the Wood Magazine plan in that so many seem to like? is it recent?

thanks,

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-11-2005, 1:59 AM
What issue is the Wood Magazine plan in that so many seem to like? is it recent?

thanks,

No, it's been several years ago...maybe as long as five or six. But if you check out the WOOD mag site, they probably have the plan either by mail or as a download.

Mike Circo
08-11-2005, 9:00 AM
Bob,
So that we can all compare the Wood Magazine plan with the WoodSmith plan (linked above) here is the Wood plan...

http://store.woodstore.net/arcolmorchai.html

I like them both, Maybe I'll make one of each and let my relatives vote. :rolleyes: