PDA

View Full Version : Speed control - Any way to add?

Bob Bachynsky
04-28-2015, 9:51 AM
Hi all,
About nine months in to turning and really enjoying it. Quick question, is there a way to rig up an external speed control to a lathe? I bought the excelsior mini lathe at rockler wanting to try before committing the big bucks. I really enjoy the lathe and it works well for what I'm doing. I'm sure in a few years I'll upgrade if I stick with it but for now the only real headache is the speed adjust by moving the belt around. I've seen youtube vids of folks that have what look like after market boxes where they can control the speed. Are those available and if so what do I search for? I had an old router controller and while it did do some control it wasn't consistent.

Thanks and great forum, I've learned a lot reading through these threads!

Bob

Rick Gibson
04-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Some have pulled the motor and controller from that treadmill they bought and never used. I wouldn't use a router controller on an AC lathe motor you are liable to end up with a burnt out motor. Most small lathe motors will be squirrel cage motors and not designed for speed control. Watch the yard sales you may be able to pick up a used treadmill with working motor and controller cheap, but if you don't know anything about electrical find someone who does to help make the swap.

Joe Kaufman
04-28-2015, 11:32 AM
This kit may work.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html

Joe

Dave Cullen
04-28-2015, 12:07 PM
It looks to be a single phase induction motor. Electronic speed control is not possible.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-28-2015, 12:12 PM
It looks to be a single phase induction motor. Electronic speed control is not possible.

It comes with that motor. I've been looking at that kit, but they won't ship it to me. It supposed to be a good kit.

Bob Bachynsky
04-28-2015, 2:28 PM
Thanks for the link! That does indeed look like what I need and someone in the comments section said it worked on the excelsior. Now I just have to wait for it to come into stock. Thanks all, happy chip making!

bobby stout
04-28-2015, 3:29 PM
One note you will loose some torque, the best way is to get a 3ph motor with an inverter. I installed one on my midi lathe. Bought it from Automation Direct, but you might spend as much as you would on a good used lathe with VS.

Bob Bachynsky
06-18-2015, 8:38 AM
Just an update. I had to wait a month as it was out of stock but I did purchase one. Showed up a few days later and was about a 20 min install on my Excelsior. Took longer to figure out how to mount the speed control than it did to swap the motor. So far I'm loving it and it makes it much easier to control what I'm doing and experiment with finding the best speed for a technique.

daryl moses
06-18-2015, 1:52 PM
Glad it worked out for ya. Variable speed is great!!