PDA

View Full Version : Entry Door Glass source

Jim German
04-28-2015, 9:31 AM
I'm contemplating making a new front entry door for our house, and have been having fun reading the wealth of information on the forum here as to various construction methods and techniques. The one thing I can't find any information on is a good source for the glass. I haven't decided completely on the design of the door, but I'm thinking it would have one side light, and probably an oval glass center, possibly with some stained glass or frosted or something. I'd like the glass to be an insulated panel, and I haven't been able to find any sources for that.

Does anyone know of an online place that sells that sort of thing?

Lee Schierer
04-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Since it is an entry door, the glass will have to be tempered glass to meet code. Any glass company can supply you with the right sized piece of glass or a thermal glass insert. Note that once it is tempered, tempered glass cannot be cut with an ordinary glass cutter. They will need the exact size of your opening. I generally take the item I am making to a company and let them measure so that it is guaranteed to fit.

roger wiegand
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
for any commercially made entry door the manufacturer should be able to supply you with a glass pack as a replacement part. You could find one the shape and size you like and then order the replacement window from a door and window place to put into your own door. I'm guessing this might be cheaper than custom fabricating one, especially if you're looking for an energy efficient pack.

Jamie Buxton
04-28-2015, 10:31 AM
The usual assembly techniques for stained glass are not airtight, so making it directly into an insulated panel is unlikely. The better approach is to glaze a conventional insulated panel into the door or sidelight, and hang a stained-glass panel in front of it.

Mike Goetzke
04-28-2015, 12:03 PM
I took the plunge a few years back and built an entrance door with sidelights. I found a good selection of glass at a few mirror/window shops. Like mentioned above the glass should be tempered and I made a template of the opening out of cardboard and specified that I wanted the templates back just in case there was an issue. Found out glass, especially with a pattern or frosting, can be pretty expensive.

Mike

Peter Quinn
04-28-2015, 12:37 PM
There seem to be three approaches to this. The first is triple insulated panels, where a real caned and leaded glass panel is sandwiched between 2 layers of tempered 1/8" clear glass, so the leaded glass essentially floats in the middle of the panel...not really floating, just Appears to. Another approach is to apply self adhesive tint sheets and self adhesive caning material to an insulated panel. The third approach is to put a storm window over a single glazed leaded unit. Not sure this meets modern code for safety glass in doors that swing, I've seen it in side lites and transoms. You must realize that each of these approaches is a compromise between cost, performance and aesthetics, none looks as good as a genuine leaded stained glass traditional window. I have not personally done a door in stained glass and have not used a specific vendor. You can google insulated stained glass for a number of online sources, it might make sense to check a local glass shop to see if there is a regional source in your area.

Jim German
04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
The usual assembly techniques for stained glass are not airtight, so making it directly into an insulated panel is unlikely. The better approach is to glaze a conventional insulated panel into the door or sidelight, and hang a stained-glass panel in front of it.

My understanding was that the stained glass panel was typically in between the two panes of an insulated panel.

for any commercially made entry door the manufacturer should be able to supply you with a glass pack as a replacement part. You could find one the shape and size you like and then order the replacement window from a door and window place to put into your own door. I'm guessing this might be cheaper than custom fabricating one, especially if you're looking for an energy efficient pack.

This sounds like a great idea, have you had any experience ordering one?

Kevin Jenness
04-28-2015, 6:09 PM
You can get insulated glass units from anylocal glass shop, but they will typically sub out the fabrication with variable results. I have had excellent results from Green Mountain Glass (http://greenmountaininsulatedglass.com)- they are easy to work with and will build a unit that matches your template exactly.

Oliver Levenson
04-30-2015, 6:37 AM
I am looking at an exterior Door (http://www.doorslasvegas.com/) to our bedroom here in Las Vegas. The door is full glass, the manufacturer (echo) claims that their glazing, insulated glass will protect against cold air. Is this true without any gas between the panes? Secondly if the glass is glazed should I pay extra for low?

roger wiegand
04-30-2015, 8:42 AM
This sounds like a great idea, have you had any experience ordering one?

Yes, after our cat-sitter had to break into the house, having lost the key and being incapable of finding the spare that could hardly have been less well hidden, I had to order a replacement. I just phoned the window company with the number etched into the corner of the glass and within two weeks they had an exact replacement for me. Probably even easier if you are choosing one in a showroom.

We have a place near us that sells remaindered and unreturnable "mistake" or cosmetically damaged doors and windows at a very deep discount (60-80% off the price of a new one), they typically have a couple hundred doors of every imaginable shape and style with a stock that changes week by week. If such a place had one with glass that worked for you, salvaging it would probably be cheaper than buying the glass from a distributor.

The commercial "stained glass" I've seen that is sandwiched in a window pack is awfully low quality. Better to get a well-made panel and mount it in front or in back of a regular window. (I'd put it inside, myself). Not a door, but here's a window I just finished trimming in our house done that way: