PDA

View Full Version : Sappy Cherry?

Scott Weinmann
04-28-2015, 8:30 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of what sappy cherry looks like in comparison to regular cherry? I found what seems to be a decent price on sappy cherry but have never heard anyone refer to cherry as being sappy. I am thinking of using some of this for the drawers in a cabinet project.

Brian Tymchak
04-28-2015, 8:38 AM
Lower grade cherry can have a lot of pitch pockets, but I've never heard the term "sappy" cherry. The decent price probably reflect the lower grade. I'm sure you can google up pictures of cherry with pitch pockets.

I found this page (http://tinytimbers.com/glossary_grade.htm) that shows different grades of cherry.

Jamie Buxton
04-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Cherry sapwood is quite a bit lighter in color than heartwood. It almost looks like maple. The contrast is big enough that it is generally not used in furniture. However, if you're only making drawer parts, maybe you can live with it.

Mike Henderson
04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
I suppose it depends on what "sappy" cherry means. If it means a lot of pitch pockets, as Brian commented, I'd be concerned about using that for drawer sides because it could bleed sap over time. If it means sapwood, as Jamie commented, it would be a good deal (if cheap enough) for drawer sides.

Mike

Bradley Gray
04-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Look before you buy. I have been offered cherry a number of times that was firewood grade at FAS prices. Around my area folks think cherry and walnut are worth their weight in gold - generally not true.

Prashun Patel
04-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Cherry looks orangey-red in the heartwood region, and white in the sapwood region. Most people want the rich orange, especially if you are making a larger panel. The sapwood does not darken and look richer with time as does the heartwood. Aesthetically, people just find it hard to work with.

I did a project recently to highlight the sap:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?226637-Cherry-Sap-Side-Board

It's not for everyone. Personally, I may include some sap pieces for effect or accent, or to salvage a board. But if BUYING fresh, I would not bother. I'd fear having to waste too much of it, negating any nominal savings.

Brian Tymchak
04-28-2015, 12:03 PM
:o I guess I hadn't yet had enough caffeine for the day. It never entered my mind that the reference could have been about sapwood. I generally avoid sapwood when I work with cherry.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe you're speaking of "gummy" cherry.

Jim Dwight
04-28-2015, 12:28 PM
I made my daughter and her husband a bedroom set of cherry for a wedding present. I asked her about using a few boards with a little sap in them. She knew what it looked like because I did the same thing in at least one of her kitchen chairs (also cherry). She was good with it. It makes the pieces look less formal in our opinion. But I wouldn't do it with a piece for a formal living room. I'd like to make a large live edge table for our dining room and would love to use a big piece of cherry (including the sapwood).

Yonak Hawkins
04-28-2015, 2:05 PM
I like to find cherry with lots of sapwood because it can be had for much cheaper and it doesn't matter with my product.

Someone would do well, though, if they could invent a reliable method to stain sapwood the color of the rest.

Kent A Bathurst
04-28-2015, 3:20 PM
Someone would do well, though, if they could invent a reliable method to stain sapwood the color of the rest.

Someone would do REALLY well if they could stain/dye it with something that would age just like the heartwood.

Bill McNiel
04-28-2015, 6:16 PM
Prashun,
I've always thought you should have used the "z" pattern from the the back for the drawer fronts. It is an exceptional example of taking what is normally considered a flaw and creating something very beautiful.

Bill McNiel
04-28-2015, 6:24 PM
Sam Neil's Blotch Control will allow you to get a remarkable consistent stain on heart/sap wood. I just don't like staining if it can be avoided. Stained Cherry will not age like natural Cherry.

Jason Bare
04-28-2015, 6:29 PM
Never heard of "Sappy Cherry" before either. I think the proper term is someone else stated is "Gummy" cherry. Which in my area is very desireable and prefered.

Art Mann
04-28-2015, 7:21 PM
I like like to build boxes out of cherry similar to what is in Mike Hollingsworth's photo. I have never experienced any sort of bleeding of pitch or resin after the product was finished with lacquer. Like Jason said, some hardwood dealers around here will sell it at a premium.

Danny Hamsley
04-28-2015, 9:24 PM
Sometimes cherry with sapwood and heartwood can be used for dramatic effect and beautiful color. Sometimes one has to walk on the wild side and show a little color and contrast. I know that this will cause some to have nightmares.

Michael Koenig
04-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Around here they sell sappy cherry it is cherry with a lot of white sap wood.
They also grade it by how much red 95/85 or 90/80.

Paul Hinds
04-28-2015, 11:26 PM
As Mike suggested, I assume you are talking about gummy cherry. There's a page on it on my site.