PDA

View Full Version : First stab at making a moulding plane

Robert Norman
04-27-2015, 6:57 PM
I had a couple hours yesterday between storms and dad duties to give this a shot on some scrap wood. Being my first attempt ever at anything with truly critical tolerances I fully expected to make kindling. So I started with a 2x4 scrap of the infamous borg whitewood. I used mainly the ideas from John Whelan's book and the LN DVD by Larry Williams, which I obviously need to watch again.

The main ideas were to:
1. have some dang fun
2. figure out any hindrance with my current (limited) tool set
3. learn like I do best -- the hard way

So I started with this iron:
It's 1" and I have a 1" hollow to pair with, which I also used to copy dimensions from. I like the design but failed to notice that it's a fat 3/16" thick, as opposed to 1/8. I cut the mouth at 3/16 per the book and on-hand hollow failing to notice the extra thickness. So having squared the donor wood I laid out the mortise, bed and mouth and cut the relief area first. I did pretty well on the layout, not so hot on actually following them! The book suggests cutting the bed and mouth on a table saw. I'm not comfortable with that on my little dewalt so I sawed by hand.
The cuts weren't terrible by my standards, but here's where a jig is a necessity. the junk in there is shavings from test fittings and fiddling with wedge and bed tuning. The mortise on the other hand was terrible. I'll be working on that on more scrap.
Remember how I said the iron was thicker than expected, by opening the mouth more with a float I got the expected result of ruining it. I've seen a lot of old planes with this blowout as well, probably from people doing the exact same thing and not correcting the true problem with choking.
Here are the 2 paired up
The plane actually functions so I know this is something I can do, just not very well yet. But I did accomplish the goals of learning what went wrong and what to do better and that I don't need stuff, I need practice. And to watch Larry Williams' DVD again and to learn when I'm rushing something to stop. I'm only at this for a year now for a couple hours a month at best but the biggest lesson to date is to stop when I'm about to half ass something and ruin hours of good work.

I will finish this one this week too see what other dangers lurk in the chamfering, wedge finial shaping etc.. but it was fun to at least having taken that first step on a journey of a 1,000 miles.

Frederick Skelly
04-27-2015, 7:43 PM
That's pretty neat Robert! I did the same - made the first one out of pine just to see if I could, then made it again in Jatoba. Let us know how the rest of it goes.
Fred

Ralph Boumenot
04-28-2015, 5:25 AM
Hi Bob,
Pretty nice looking Borg wood practice. How did you do the iron and how did you match the sole of the plane to it's mate? This is something I would like to attempt at some point before social security kicks in.

Nicholas Lawrence
04-28-2015, 8:03 AM
"the biggest lesson to date is to stop when I'm about to half ass something and ruin hours of good work"

A good lesson. I have learned that one a couple of times myself.

Christian Thompson
04-28-2015, 8:43 AM
Good start! I'm doing the same thing with a small block plane, but for some reason it didn't occur to me to use pine until after I started. I guess I started with the foolish notion that the plane might be worth keeping even though I approached it like you - learn what I don't know and get some hands-on experience so the books and videos make more sense. So I'm using a too thin piece of oak to make a small block plane. I'll probably start with a 2x4 for the next one.

I just ordered the Whelan book and am looking forward to reading that. So far I have been using "How to Make Wooden Planes" book by David Perch and Leonard Lee that I picked up at a used book sale. It has good info about layout, but not a whole lot of info on how to build. I've also watched some of David Weavers' youtube videos which have been a big help. Do you (or anyone else) think the Larry Williams DVD would be helpful in making bench planes?

Robert Norman
04-28-2015, 1:01 PM
Thanks Ralph, love your blog -- it keeps me sane during the work week. The iron was a donor from an abused 1" round. The irons are above my current metal working ability but LN sells some nice tapered blanks if you need to match an orphan. I used the hollow with a fence (squeezy clamps and a 1x4) to match the profiles of the 2.

Robert Norman
04-28-2015, 1:28 PM
Just my .02 but you're probably better served by David Weaver's YouTube and Bill Anderson video here:http://www.shopwoodworking.com/building-a-tradit-onal-18th-century-jointer-plane-grouped for bench planes. The Larry Williams DVD is awesome as you get to watch a master at work but it's on side escapement planes.

I have a copy of the Perch book also and it is referenced a good bit by Whelan. What I like about Whelan's book is that it starts out basic and builds up. I know I'm guilty in this hobby of trying the advanced stuff before I have a solid foundation, sometimes it blows up in my face and reminds me that I don't know what I don't know.

Christian Thompson
04-28-2015, 1:59 PM
Just my .02 but you're probably better served by David Weaver's YouTube and Bill Anderson video here:http://www.shopwoodworking.com/building-a-tradit-onal-18th-century-jointer-plane-grouped for bench planes. The Larry Williams DVD is awesome as you get to watch a master at work but it's on side escapement planes.

That's kind of what I figured. I didn't know about the Bill Anderson video. That looks good so I just ordered it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pedro Reyes
04-28-2015, 2:49 PM

I have a copy of the Perch book also and it is referenced a good bit by Whelan. What I like about Whelan's book is that it starts out basic and builds up. I know I'm guilty in this hobby of trying the advanced stuff before I have a solid foundation, sometimes it blows up in my face and reminds me that I don't know what I don't know.

How do I find David's youtube vid? Thanks.

Eric Schatz
04-28-2015, 2:52 PM
Hi Bob,
Pretty nice looking Borg wood practice. How did you do the iron and how did you match the sole of the plane to it's mate? This is something I would like to attempt at some point before social security kicks in.

Did he not just use the mate plane to make the face of the other one? Seems fool proof to me. ;)

Judson Green
04-28-2015, 3:24 PM
How do I find David's youtube vid? Thanks.

Go to YouTube and type "David W" in the search field. Should be in the first few results.

Robert Norman
04-28-2015, 3:26 PM
Part 1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjHMwL-dj4

He has iots of info on his various videos and posts here at SMC as well.