PDA

View Full Version : Is your OOMA working?

Kev Williams
04-27-2015, 1:53 PM
Since about 9am this morning, my phones ring, caller ID shows up, but no talking from the other end. Their website is only half working too, which probably explains it-

Just wondering if it's affecting everyone? I've loved Ooma until today..

Bruce Page
04-27-2015, 2:03 PM
They may have been hacked.
There was a post recently about calls that would hang up after 1 or 2 rings trying to bait you into calling the number back. A call back resulted in a large phone charge, IIRC.

Rich Engelhardt
04-27-2015, 4:01 PM
My Ooma has been flaky for about three weeks.
It started out having extremely bad static, then calls started to drop, then a couple of ring-three-times/hang up happened. Then as quick as it began having problems, they stopped & it seems to be fine now.

Kev Williams
04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
My only issue with Ooma in the almost-a-year that I've had it, is when the caller ID just shows phone numbers twice, instead of NAME and number. That's happened a couple of times.

Today's thing was, the phone would ring, caller ID worked, but no talking. Was short lived, about 3 hours before back to normal, but I had about a dozen calls! In talking with a couple of folks who did finally get thru, same thing on their end, got an 'answer' but no talking...

Not going to complain too loud, the Premier service for a year is less than one month of my old phone service...

Bert Kemp
04-27-2015, 11:24 PM
My strict rule is I never ever answer the phone if it has no name or I don't recognize the number, and I never ever call a number back if they don't leave a message. I'll never get scammed on the phone this way. I do sometimes Google the number and it almost always tells me there's been numerous complaints about that number. I don't even do that much anymore I know the answer.

Bert Kemp
04-27-2015, 11:33 PM
I checked out ooma didn't know what it was. It said it will take 2 years for it to pay for it self guess I don't need that. Why do people have this anyway why not just use your cell for everything?

Scott Hearn
04-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Mine has been OK as far as I know. I only have it for a fax machine that I have to have. I'll get payback in roughly 6 months. My bill is only $3.98

Rich Engelhardt
04-28-2015, 5:32 AM
Why do people have this anyway why not just use your cell for everything?We run a business from our home - plus it's cheaper than a cell phone.
We have unlimited local and long distance for $3.98 a month.

Joe Kieve
04-28-2015, 8:22 AM
Been having problems for the last week. Could get incoming calls but not outgoing. Phone rings, caller ID shows caller I recognize, answer, but no one on the line. Hope OOMA gets all this fixed soon. We've loved them...so far!

Scott Hearn
04-29-2015, 1:22 AM
Got this in an email today.

Dear Ooma Customer:
Ooma has recently experienced interruptions in service. In working to upgrade our network, we encountered unexpected problems with the communications between our data centers that led to the service disruptions. We have now isolated the issues and addressed them.

We sincerely apologize and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have made changes to the architecture of our network and have taken additional measures in an effort to restore consistently reliable service.
Additionally, the service interruptions caused a high volume of customer support inquiries that limited our ability to respond in a timely manner. For that, we also apologize and we are making improvements to our methods of customer response.
Please know that we value your business and we understand that you depend on a reliable communications service for your home or business. We will continue to do our absolute best to meet the quality standards that we set for ourselves and that you have come to expect from us.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Sincerely,

Eric Stang,
CEO of Ooma

Kev Williams
04-29-2015, 1:22 AM
I, and probably every other Ooma user, got an email about this problem. Seems all fixed now, so I'm happy!

As for Ooma in general, and oh, I'll give kudo's to the cable company:
I WAS paying $198 a month for 2 phone lines, and 1.5 meg internet service. Plus $15 a month to my ISP...

I'm now paying Comcast $29 a month for 20 meg service-- but what I'm actually getting is--

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4324447199.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4324447199)

And I'm paying for Ooma Premier, which is like $10 a month for 2 phone lines and 'extras', plus about $3.80 a month in taxes & fees...

$42.80 vs $213.00 a month-- And the ONLY caveat is, my cable will go to $49 a month after a year. $62.80, still can't gripe!

As for cell phones-- I had to buy a Wilson antenna just so anyone's cell would work in our house, which is also our business. And even with the Wilson, it won't pick up T-mobile. And personally, I don't like cell phone sound quality, coming OR going. My wife's Iphone sounds like a megaphone. Many of my customers sound like their talking under water, others sound like they're talking from a drainage culvert, some sound like they're teeth are wired shit, and others are just plain gobbledygook from the inherent 'pinks', 'twangs' & 'boinks' noises, or all the background noise turning on/off/on/off/on/off...

umm... rant over! ;)