PDA

View Full Version : New Cabinets finally finished...Pics

Jim Marshall
08-08-2005, 3:26 PM
I finally finished our kitchen cabinets. We still don't have the backsplash or ceiling installed yet, but we are working on it. The ceiling will be T&G white pine. Our cabinets are made of poplar with birch plywood boxes. The finish is Ralph Lauren Tea stain with a water base polyurethane finish. LOML thought you may want to see them. The first two pics were made before we put the finish on them. The rest of them have the finish on them. Thanks for looking.

Don Baer
08-08-2005, 3:29 PM
Very Nice.

Excellent job on the finish.

Jason Tuinstra
08-08-2005, 3:31 PM
LOML thought you may want to see them.

Jim, how is it that your wife knows the SMC rules about pictures and you don't? :D Of course we want to see them, and they are fantastic. How long did it take you to get this far?

Keep up the good work!

JOSEPH GOVEA
08-08-2005, 3:34 PM
Hey Jim, Beatiful job! I like the design above the sink. Also the spice rack is very nice. Great job.:)

Donnie Raines
08-08-2005, 3:52 PM
Very nice! The tile looks just like mine.... :cool:

Jim Becker
08-08-2005, 3:59 PM
They look GREAT, Jim!!

Von Bickley
08-08-2005, 4:36 PM
Jim,

Great looking cabinets. A lot of people think poplar is a secondary wood to be used where it doesn't show. Your cabinets show how good poplar looks.

Great job... :)

Vaughn McMillan
08-08-2005, 4:51 PM
Hey Jim, Beatiful job! I like the design above the sink. Also the spice rack is very nice. Great job.:)
Joseph hit on the exact points I was going to say, so I figured I'd save the typing and just let him repeat it...excellent work!

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
08-08-2005, 6:13 PM
Looking great. I like your paneled valance above the sink.
Steve

Dev Emch
08-08-2005, 6:19 PM
Nice Job.... What did you use to make the counters? Are those stone or laminate?

Michael Ballent
08-08-2005, 6:31 PM
I have to agree with you other post about the poplar... They are just awful and you can just ship those cabinets to my house, just to give you an opportunity to make them out of a real wood ;)

Those look great :D But you can just send me a PM so you can get my address ;)

John Miliunas
08-08-2005, 6:50 PM
Yowza, Jim! Those are fabulous!:) Real neat idea with the spice racks, as well. Are those on mechanical slides or on wooden runners? I think LOML would like something like that incorporated in ours when I eventually get to it! Great job!:) :cool:

Bob Noles
08-08-2005, 8:55 PM
Jim,

I made the mistake of showing these pics to LOML who is begging for a kitchen remake at this time anyhow. She wants to know how much longer before you can finish there and head on down to Atlanta to start ours :D

Great job and a real flair for decor flowing. It all blends well and comes together nicely with the cabinets.

Mark Tsujihara
08-08-2005, 9:00 PM
A fine job!

This is something I was debating with my wife (Chairman of the Financial Oversight and Appropriations Committee :) ).

She was wondering if I could make the kitchen cabinets when I do the remodel of our kitchen, or if we should just buy them.

I want to say "sure I can make them!" ....but first I have to remodel the shop, get a dust collector, get my uber-combo (Knapp, Felder, MiniMax, etc.), make assorted screw-ups, remake them, botch a finish or two, yadda yadda.

I think we will end up buying them. Sigh :( .

Mark

Jim Becker
08-08-2005, 9:04 PM
Mark, making kitchen cabinets is a relatively basic and easy job...and you can save substantial bucks if you do, not to mention have them exactly the way you want them, rather than settle for something pre-conceived. (I cannot believe what cabinets sell for!) The big factor is time rather than huge amounts of skill. (The money you save really can pay for some shop improvements, too...) Even if you just make the boxes and buy the doors/drawer fronts and even the drawer boxes, there is big savings to be had.

Don Stanley
08-08-2005, 9:07 PM
Nice job Jim. How high is the ceiling? The valance above the sink is a focal point, and really grabs your attention - absolutely beautiful. Tell us a little more about your house.

-Don

Corey Hallagan
08-08-2005, 9:35 PM
Wow, those are beautiful cabinets. The whole kitchen is great looking. I really like your door detail and the furniture leg look of the cabs. Nice job!!

Corey

Jim Marshall
08-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Fellers, all the compliments coming from all you talented wood artists are very humbling. I can only do what the Lord allows me to do. I really do appreciate all your kindness.

Jason, I have a handicap so I can't stand up to work but for short periods of time. It took me seven months to build these cabinets, when normally it would have taken me about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

Dev, I did make the countertops, but they are from a new type of Wilsonart. I made the nosing from Cherry.

Michael, LOML would probably make me sleep in the dog house if I sent them your way. LOL

John, the slides on the spice drawers are wooden runners of red oak. The spice drawers were very easy to make.

Bob, we are practically neighbors. You are only a couple of hours from us. I have been doing woodworking for the last 37 years and these are probably the last cabinets I build. I will be more than happy to help you in any way I can if you decide to build your own.

Mark, we have in the neighborhood of $2,500.00 in the materials in the cabinets and that includes the cooktop and oven. Our kitchen is 12 X 14 feet.

Don, our ceiling height is 8 feet.

Our house is around 800 + sq feet and was built in 1956. We started to completely remodel the house about three years ago. We have pergo type flooring in the living room and hallway. The kitchen flooring is also a pergo type which I do not recommend in the kitchen at all.

We are at this time installing a granite backsplash from the countertop to the bottom of the wall cabinets. Our next move will be to install T&G 1X6 white pine ceiling in the kitchen and living room. We will have to have some help on the ceilings.

The sheetrock on the ceilings were originally nailed up with 4d common nails and they are not holding the sheetrock well and it sags in several places. We are going to nail 1Xs on the ceiling to pull the sheetrock back in place and install the T&G to the nailers.

I will quit now, this post has really gotten long. Thank you so much fellers for your interest and your kind comments.

I really do enjoy seeing all of your craftsmanship here and this is the best woodworking website on the net. Jim

Bob Marino
08-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Hi Jim,

Nice job all around - start to finish - and speaking of finishes - did you spray or brush the poly?

Bob

Per Swenson
08-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Yes sir,

That is a fine looking kitchen.

Dang nice job.

Per

Dan Forman
08-09-2005, 4:40 AM
Excellent job with many very interesting, imaginative features.

Dan

Jim Marshall
08-09-2005, 9:33 AM
Bob, I brushed the poly on. The water based poly works so much easier, is very forgiving and dries very fast. We used the satin finish, however it doesn't show up well in our pictures, cheap camera.

Byron Trantham
08-09-2005, 9:39 AM
Jim, very nice! The overall look is very rich. You would have spent a bit more than $2,500 if you bought the pre-built units. Good job.

Effie Lever
08-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Looks great Jim, doesn’t it feel great to use the kitchen every day knowing you build it yourself?

Effie

Dan Oelke
08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Add my voice to the chorus - Beautiful work!!!

Mind saying way you don't like the Pergo in the kitchen?

Mike Weaver
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Very nice!

I'll agree with earlier comments - very nice looking and the design above the sink is excellent!

-Mike

Keith Burns
08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
All I can say is why don't you build some nice looking cabinets next time? HA. Those look absolutely FANTASTIC !!! Great Job. Now, what's next ?

Jim Marshall
08-09-2005, 9:21 PM
Dan, the reason I don't like the Pergo in the kitchen is moisture. A week after I had installed the flooring the ice maker filter cracked and got the flooring damp. The flooring swelled badly but I let it dry and repaired it. It still doesn't look as good as when I first put it down and probably never will.

Gail O'Rourke
08-09-2005, 9:59 PM
What a lovely kitchen, awesome job.

Peter Stahl
08-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Wow, very nicely done!

Dan Gill
08-10-2005, 6:39 PM
Those look great! I especially like the window treatment.

Matt Meiser
08-10-2005, 8:30 PM
Very nice. I showed my parents last night to give them some ideas for their own kitchen remodel.

Mike Stanton
08-10-2005, 9:16 PM
Very beautiful Mike :D

Dave Malen
08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Jim,
Great job. Love all the details especially above the sink. Currently I'm doing a bookcase out of poplar. Hope I can finish it as nicely as you finished your cabinets.
Dave

Jerry Olexa
08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Excellent work. Nice touches throughout....

Jim Marshall
08-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow, I had no idea that the cabinets would get this much response. I thank everyone of you from the bottom of my heart, you are super folks.

Jay Knepper
08-11-2005, 1:17 PM
Jim,

That's one awesome job! It looks very harmonious.