PDA

View Full Version : 3-ply engraveable laminates

Graham Taylor
04-27-2015, 9:20 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that you can get a 3-ply laserable laminate but I cant remember where and being the muppet I am didnt bookmark the link :mad:

If it is available, does anyone know where in the UK I can get some and in what colours are available?

I have emailed Trotec but they are quite expensive and I do like to try and get a good deal :D

Mike Null
04-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Graham

I doubt that you'll find a "good deal" on 3 ply as it is in limited use thus limited availability. I'd probably buy the first place I found it and be happy to save the time.

Gary Hair
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Try Rowmark

Graham Taylor
04-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at Rowmark.

I have been asked if I can make some A4 size certificate type awards that would have 3 colours showing so for example, the top layer would be black, then engrave a layer to reveal a gold colour for another part of the design and then engrave slightly deeper to reveal the 3rd colour red which would be the company logo.

I rightly or wrongly assumed this is possible and thought that the 3-ply laminate would be the best solution. If there is a better material out there that would be more suitable then I am happy to use that as I am still very new to this so don't necessarily know the best material for each job.

Gary Hair
04-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Direct printing would be the best way to do this, my DCS printer would do a great job! I'm sure someone in the UK has a printer like mine, or similar.

dave standing
04-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Try HPC Laser Ltd

Scott Shepherd
04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
All the 3 ply I've seen from Rowmark and IPI were all just designed to use both sides of the material, not to give 2 different colors when engraving.

Just engrave them deeper and paint will the different colors.

Paul Phillips
04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Gravograph has some material called Gravoply 3C that is meant to be 3 color engraved from one side but appears to be for mechanical engraving only.
http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-products/application-examples-gravoply3c.php

Glen Monaghan
04-27-2015, 1:00 PM
You could use black/gold substrate, mask it, engrave the logo, color fill that area with red, then engrave the rest that is supposed to be gold colored, and remove the mask.

Or, mask and engrave the whole she-bang and then color fill just the logo (you may need to re-cover the areas that should remain gold colored if, for example, you are spraying the red, but may not need to cover again if using a small brush to apply the red).

Tony Lenkic
04-27-2015, 1:02 PM
For application as such I use reverse engravable sheet stock and paint fill in multiple colors.

Kev Williams
04-27-2015, 1:58 PM
What Paul said -- Gravograph's 3-color isn't laserable.

It would be nearly impossible to regulate the depth of a laser cut in the first place...

Mike Null
04-27-2015, 2:17 PM
I would use a colorfill for the third color.

Brian Leavitt
04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
We just go straight to sublimation for this type of stuff.

Mike Troncalli
04-28-2015, 1:11 PM
Why not just use 2 sheets of thin 2 ply... Get the ones with the adhesive backing... Cut through the areas that you need for the 3rd color and you are good to go... No muss, no fuss... No trying to color fill....

Graham Taylor
04-28-2015, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the replies gents but they have changed their minds again and now want to try something else :mad:

Iam seriously wondering if it is worth the hassle for this job but they are a big nationwide company so there may be the chance of future work so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet

Scott Shepherd
04-28-2015, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the replies gents but they have changed their minds again and now want to try something else :mad:

Iam seriously wondering if it is worth the hassle for this job but they are a big nationwide company so there may be the chance of future work so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet

Hang in there Graham, some times that's what chases people away from customers like this. If you stick with them, it might a great relationship down the road. We've had people like that and they actually know they are scattered on their projects, but they also don't mind paying for it. If you put up with them, they'll normally pay you well for your frustrations.