PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to Pronounce "Metabo"?

John Stevens
08-08-2005, 2:47 PM
Anyone know which syllable gets the accent? And is the first syllable pronounced like an "a" as in "may" or an "e" as in "Mets"? Once again, thanks in advance.

Ian Barley
08-08-2005, 3:06 PM
Everyone I know goes with Me-Tar-Bow with the "e" sound being like the "e" in check

John Stevens
08-08-2005, 3:25 PM
Thanks, Ian. Accent on the middle syllable?

Richard Wolf
08-08-2005, 3:56 PM
Everyone I know goes with Me-Tar-Bow with the "e" sound being like the "e" in check

It's a little rough asking an Englishman, no offense Ian!!

Richard

Jamie Buxton
08-08-2005, 9:51 PM
I'm guessing it is a made-up name, so it gets pronounced the way the inventor decides. Maybe if you wade around http://www.metabo.de/ you can find the answer.

Norman Hitt
08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Interesting question, John. I always pronounced it like; muh-tah-bow, but wondered how everyone else pronounced it, which, I figgered was way different from mine, since my pronunciation is Definitely with a "Texas Twist". :D

Ian Barley
08-09-2005, 2:14 AM
I'm guessing it is a made-up name, so it gets pronounced the way the inventor decides. Maybe if you wade around http://www.metabo.de/ you can find the answer.
I already did that - they changed the company named in 1932 to reflect their most succesful product at that time - a hand operated metal drill - possibly some contraction of "metal arbor"??

Ian Barley
08-09-2005, 2:16 AM
It's a little rough asking an Englishman, no offense Ian!!

Richard
Look Richard - its our language in the first place and your only borrowing it - if you don't stay friendly we might ask for it back :D

Doug Shepard
08-09-2005, 6:55 AM
Since it's a German company, I'll assume normal German pronounciation and go with meh-tah-bo (pronounce the vowels like you would Gestapo:eek: ). The accent should fall on the 2nd syllable.

Timo Christ
08-09-2005, 3:42 PM
I think Doug Shepard has got it right.
Metabo is the abbreviation for Metallbohrdreher, as mentioned the name of the tool.

Richard Wolf
08-09-2005, 5:41 PM
Look Richard - its our language in the first place and your only borrowing it - if you don't stay friendly we might ask for it back :D

Yes Ian, but you are a commoner and don't speak the King's English.

Richard

Bartee Lamar
08-09-2005, 5:46 PM
If you are talking about a sander you pronouce it "Ridgid"

Charles McKinley
08-12-2005, 6:05 PM
The 4" grinder can be hadd for about $100 and had a toolless arbor nut that is well worth the price difference beteen it and a comparble 4" grinder.

I pronounce if ma TAB o.

Great tools that can take hard use.