PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Miter Saw Input Needed

Josh Bendel
08-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm looking at finally getting a scm:D , currently I'm looking @ the Dewalt DW708 or the Bosch 4412, but I’m open to any brand. For the most part it will stay stationary on the miter table, so I won’t need to lug it around. Also is the laser worth the extra money, the built in ones not the aftermarket?
<O:p></O:p>
Along those lines has anyone had good luck with the aftermarket lasers?<O:p></O:p>
></O:p>
Any contribution would be appreciated, and used from well rounded pool of knowledge here at the creek.

Keith Starosta
08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I'll tell ya what, Josh, I got my Hitachi 10" slider with laser about a year ago and I couldn't be more happy with it. I bought it reconditioned off of Ebay for a pretty decent price. For me, the laser is an excellent addition to the saw. As soon as you get used to which side of the laser line the blade actually cuts on, you'll be all set. DAMHIKT! :eek:

Keith

Mike Cutler
08-08-2005, 1:55 PM
Josh. Whichever brand/model you end up with go with full kerf blades. The thin kerfs can really "potato chip" in hard woods, and give you some interesting cuts. Sort of like an under-tensioned bandsaw.
Good luck looking, and have fun deciding. ;)

Bill Fields
08-08-2005, 2:06 PM
John-

I recently bought the 12" SCMS (Item #91852) from Harbor Freight for about $180---price varies--I have seen it a little cheaper.

They shipped me the other 12" saw they offer, but it arrived damaged (damaged because it was a returned item--they just put it in a box w/some wadded up paper--not the original styrofoam packing material) and I returned it in exchange for the (much better) unit above.

It seems to be a copy of the Makita and the DeWalt 12" SCMS.

The manual is a joke. I downloadwd manuals from Makita and DeWalt--much more detailed.

The saw works great. Quality and precision are OK--perhaps not up to the $6-700 saws.

The laser is OK as well. Easily adjustable for right or left of kerf--or center. I re-engineered the battery holder/switch and plan to keep improving it over time.

An earlier post on lasers indicates that most pros do not use them--probably true, but they use their saws every day.

Also bought the Ridgid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle fro Home Depot for $170. This is perfectly engineered and constructed piece of gear. When folded with the saw in place the footprint is only about 16" by 18".

Together the 2 units come in around 110-120 #--not light.

Good luck!

BILL FIELDS

Jeff Sudmeier
08-08-2005, 2:23 PM
I have the Craftsman 12" SCMS. I really love it! It gets used for almost all of my cross-cutting chores. The laser is GREAT for rough cuts. For normal cuts, I still do it the old way, lining up the tooth to the line :)

JOSEPH GOVEA
08-08-2005, 3:29 PM
Hi Josh I have had the DW708 for 4 years now. Last year I changed the blade to a forest chop master. Cuts very good. As far as the a/m laser goes I have been eyeballing the Laserkerf. :)

Ray Petri
08-08-2005, 4:00 PM
I have had the DW708 for about 6 years. It is a great saw. Sure can't go wrong with the saw.

Richard Wolf
08-08-2005, 5:27 PM
I use two Dewalt 708s and one Bosch 4412. Both are great saws. I find that they both miter well past 45, (48 - 60) very important to me. I do stairs and railings, most stairs are built at 41 degrees, so 49 degree miters cuts become important. Both saw work well, the Bosch stays in the shop and the Dewalts go in the truck to the job site. I use the Dewalts more often so I feel a little more comfortable with them.

Richard

Steve Clardy
08-08-2005, 6:09 PM
I have two DW705's for job site work, and a DW708 slider for shop use. It's a little heavy to be packing around, so I try to leave it in the shop. Great saw, right on out of the box. It's about three years old now.

Russ Massery
08-08-2005, 7:00 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either saw. I have the Dewalt 708 I've had for 7 years now I'm very happy with it,and would highly recommend it.

Mitchell Garnett
08-08-2005, 7:45 PM
FWIW: I settled on the Bosch fairly quickly - lots of good reviews, adjustable from the front, etc. and then I pondered 10 vs. 12" - I settled on the 10" 4410L and have been very pleased.

Phil Ordway
08-08-2005, 9:30 PM
I have the DW 708 on an HF mobile base. I like it fine. I did upgrade to a Makita blade which gives much better cuts than the original.