PDA

View Full Version : Vendors for Spiral Duct and Fittings ....

Paul McGaha
04-26-2015, 12:30 PM
I've always used Oneida for my spiral duct and fittings. It is good stuff but a little pricey and Oneida seems to really ding you on the shipping charges.

Any other vendors you guys are using? It would be pretty small quantities, I'm making a couple of changes to my system and just need a few things.

PHM

Kevin Jenness
04-26-2015, 4:32 PM
Check out your local HVAC suppliers for spiral duct ,wyes and elbows. Blastgates.com for the obvious.

Jim Andrew
04-26-2015, 10:28 PM
I have found my local Ace hardware keeps 26 gauge snaplock fittings. It is not hard to use them with spiral pipe. Might need some couplings though.

Doug Ladendorf
04-26-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm interested too. I have heard several recommendations for http://spiralmfg.com

Doug

Peter Kelly
04-26-2015, 11:47 PM
http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Michael Stockdale
04-27-2015, 8:48 AM
Paul...

What size do you need? I have a couple of 7" fittings (I will inventory if you are interested), a 6" 90 degree, and an 8" Wye that were left over from my recent project... Could give you a terrific deal on them, as they are just taking up space under the stairs of my shop.

When I was building my system, I got my spiral pipe and 90 degree fittings from East Coast Metal Distributors here in Columbia, SC. They have several locations on the east coast, so you might want to check them out. My wyes were purchased from Penn State Industries, and their quality was only so-so. Most of the fittings were actually undersized a bit but nothing I couldn't work with. I got my aluminum blast gates from Lee Valley.

I am very pleased with the system... Oneida Pro 1500 (3hp), 7" to 6" reduction about 4' from the cyclone, then 6" the rest of the way with each of my drops having both a 4" and a 6" blast gate on a wye. I will have to take pictures some day, if I ever get my shop cleaned-up enough to make it presentable.

Let me know about the pieces/parts... I also have a 5' section of 7", two 10' sections of 6", and a 10' section of 4" left over, but shipping the spiral pipe is pretty much cost prohibitive... Hopefully, you can source that locally.

Mike

Paul McGaha
04-27-2015, 11:37 AM
I just made an order from Penn State Industries. The order seemed to go pretty well. The pricing seemed to be a little better than Oneida, I'm hoping the fittings are of the same quality. We'll see here in a few days. Bill Whitaker did my order and he seemed to be very experienced with spiral duct and fittings.

Michael Stockdale - Thank you for your offer but the only thing you mentioned that I needed was the 6" 90 degree elbow so I went ahead and included it in my order with Penn State.

Thank you for your comments creekers.

PHM

Robert Engel
04-27-2015, 12:19 PM
PSI. I've always had good luck with them and they'll talk tech stuff with you, too.

Paul McGaha
05-04-2015, 3:26 PM
Well the fittings I ordered from Penn State Industries came in and I worked with them some last Saturday.

I found the quality of the fittings to not be nearly as nice as what you can get from Oneida but the cost is markedly less expensive. I would say the fittings are good enough though and I plan to source my fittings from PSI in the future. The PSI fittings are 20 gauge, I'm not sure what the gauge of the Oneida fittings are but they seem to be about the same. The radius of the elbows is the same. I guess the difference in the fittings is the fit and finish. The PSI fittings are kind of ok looking and the Oneida fittings just couldn't look better.

As for the pricing, for example if you were making a 90* turn in 6" ductwork and you were buying a long radius, non adjustable, 90* elbow the cost from PSI the cost would be $19.95. No other fittings are required (the elbows are made to slip inside the duct about 1 1/2")

A long radius, non adjustable, 90* elbow from Oneida is $38.53 and you would also have to buy (2) 6" Spiral Adapters from Oneida that costs $10.37 each.

So, to make the turn, $19.95 from PSI or $59.27 from Oneida.

Creekers, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Oneida, I think they have very high quality equipment and service and I think they do their best to keep the prices down on their systems. I've bought a new system from them once and if I ever had to buy another one I'd use them again. I do think though that the duct and fittings could probably be bought for less at another vendor, like PSI.

PHM