PDA

View Full Version : How to keep Liquid Nails, Caulk, etc from drying out?

Brad Tallis
08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Hello All-

I need some of your advice... I went to use a tube of Liquid Nails this weekend that I had just purchased last week. I had opened it last week, used maybe 2 or 3 dabs of the stuff, and then had to call it a day. So, I stuck a large nail into the tip of the tube hoping to "seal it up".

Anyways, when I went to use it this weekend, it was as hard as a rock. So I spent close to 5 bucks for 3 dabs of Liquid nails. :(

So, how do you recommend "sealing" the tubes of this stuff to keep it from drying out? Obviously, the nail doesn't work. ;) How come these tubes don't come with caps or something like that?

I've had the same thing happen with tubes of caulk, sealant, etc. So any ideas you can shed would greatly help me.

Thank you.

Brad

Ken Garlock
08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I just a piece of duct tape over the end of the nozzle. Just fold it over and press the edges together. You will most likely have to remove a hardened plug in the nozzle tip even with the duct tape. To remove it I put a 1/4" drill bit in the drill and let it work its way down the nozzle and then pull the plug out along with the drill, messy but it works. You can normally wipe the goo off with a paper shop towel.

Wes Bischel
08-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Brad,
You'll get as many ways to do this as there are people on this BBS! :D I use wire nuts - size depends on how large a hole was cut on the tip.

FWIW,

Wes

James Mudler
08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I jab into a wax ring (for toliets). I have also tried wire nuts and mini water ballons over the tips

Don Baer
08-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I jam a golf tee in the opening. since they are tapered they will fit almost any size hole you put in the nozzel

:D

Tyler Howell
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
I stick a nail in it then cover it with duct tape. The nail helps pull out the dried plug:o

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Just empty the tube and then you don't have to worry about storing something that you've opened and won't be able to reuse later on in the year!!! :rolleyes: :p :p :p :D

Keith Weber
08-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I use Saran (plastic) Wrap and a rubber band. It is quick, easy and effective. The trick is to keep the air away from the caulk. Just squeeze the gun trigger enough that the caulk is just poking out the top of the hole, place a piece of Saran Wrap over the tip so that there is no air, wrap the Wrap around the nozzle and secure it with a rubber band.

Keith

Bob Hovde
08-08-2005, 1:11 PM
With caulk, the best way I've found is to form a "blob" at the end. (Wet your fingers and form it to cover the end.) The blob seals better than anything I've stuck into the opening.

Bob

Bob Noles
08-08-2005, 2:01 PM
HD in my area sells a yellow caulk tube cap for about $2 that has worked very well for me. The keep it near the caulking. I have had no dry out whatsoever and have stored for over 6 months with the cap on it. Again... the cap is yellow and has a protrusion that allows you to use it to to spread caulk instead of using your finger. It really works great.

Bruce Gray
08-08-2005, 2:46 PM
I use a walnut-size blob of Duct Seal, and jam it over the end of the nozzle. It seems to work pretty good.

If you're not familiar, duct seal is that clay-like material that electricians use to patch every extra hole they make. It never hardens, is "sticky" yet removable, and is available in electrical departments at the borgs.

Bruce

Mac McAtee
08-08-2005, 4:07 PM
Most of the board stores now sell caulk and things like liquid nails in pressurized, self dispensing cans. If I have a big job I buy the tube caulk or glue and if it is something I am just using a dab or two on I buy the pressure can, those seem to last quite a long time since air cannot get to the contents.

Don Selke
08-08-2005, 4:38 PM
For extendid storage, I place them into a vacuum sealed bag. I seal the bag leaving extra long so when I need to use the product, I can seal the bag again when I am done. My wife has a vacuum sealer and it completly seals the tubes.
The picture is for the picture Police!!!!!!!

Brad Tallis
08-08-2005, 4:51 PM
Wow, Wes was right. Lots of different answers from lots of different people. :D

Thank you for the replies. I had wondered if just wrapping the end with tape would work, but I enjoyed seeing everyones ideas, like using a wire nut, to creating a "blob-plug", to using the whole tube all at once (I wish!).

I appreciate your feedback. I will try a couple of these ideas as I am currently working on a large home improvement project and will probably go through a few more tubes of Liquid Nails and caulk before I am done.

Thanks again!

Brad

Chris Padilla
08-08-2005, 5:54 PM
Lee Valley sells these little, well, condom-like rubber pieces that you stretch over the end of a caulk tube (probably like a small balloon). I havne't actually tried them yet (en route) but Lee Valley usually sells good stuff. Screws or nails do not seal well by themselves although I got lucky with a tube of poly caulk...the nail pulled the plug out and I was ready to go.

Steve Clardy
08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Lee Valley sells these little, well, condom-like rubber pieces that you stretch over the end of a caulk tube (probably like a small balloon). I havne't actually tried them yet (en route) but Lee Valley usually sells good stuff. Screws or nails do not seal well by themselves although I got lucky with a tube of poly caulk...the nail pulled the plug out and I was ready to go.

I use those Chris. But after about 3, 4, or 6 months, the tubes set up. Especially silicone. They work well for liquid nails, and regular latex caulk though.