PDA

View Full Version : laser not firing, bad power supply

Ted Liberty
04-25-2015, 11:19 AM
My laser stopped firing and it appears that it has a bad power supply. The power supply was bad on install around Sept 2013, then about 6 months later (under warranty), and now again. The cost of a new one from Rabbit Laser is $500. This is very part time for me, and I probably don't even run my laser on average 10 hours/week. I think the power supply should last more than 500 hours at most, probably much less. I see power supplies elsewhere (ebay, aliexpress, amazon) for much less and I'm wondering if these are the same. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is this a problematic component, or am I just unlucky?

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Bill George
04-25-2015, 1:35 PM
I guess I would be wondering why so many failures? Anything laser related I only buy from one source, lightobject dot com. I have found them to be fair and honest. In fact I would send them (Marco) an email describing your problem with power supplies and he might have a solution when purchasing a new one.

Are you sure the HV lead or connection to your tube has not be arcing someplace?

Ted Liberty
04-25-2015, 4:51 PM
I haven't noticed any arcing, but I can certainly keep an eye on it. The wire is run inside of silicone tubing and I don't see anything suspect. I'll check out lightobject dot com. Thanks for the advice, Bill!

Dave Sheldrake
04-25-2015, 7:36 PM
50,000 hrs is the norm for DC power supplies, I'd suggest something else is wrong and is taking out the PSU's

Walt Langhans
04-26-2015, 4:07 PM
Are you sure it's the power supply? You did say it 'appears'. If you bought your laser from Rabbit laser USA I'm sure they will help diagnose the problem. Also there are fuses before the power supply and possibly one in the power supply.

Ted Liberty
04-27-2015, 5:42 AM
Sorry, Walt, I should have been more precise. Yes, Rabbit Laser has been very helpful and they did confirm that it is the power supply, there is a fuse in the power supply and it is not blown. After giving it some thought, perhaps my first step is to add a surge protector. Mostly I was wondering if this may be a problematic component, but it doesn't sound that way. Thanks, Walt!