PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring over ceramic tile?

Joe Kieve
04-25-2015, 8:39 AM
Anyone have experience laying laminate flooring, such as Pergo, etc., over exixting ceramic tile?
We have about 200 sq. feet of ceramic tile in our kitchen. The house is built on a concrete slab and the floor is cold in the winter, SWMBO complains about not being able to adequately clean grout lines, and on and on...

Most forums that I've read say you can put laminate over tile while a few say you can't. I haven't checked with local flooring contractors yet, just the internet and your expertise.

Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

George Bokros
04-25-2015, 9:02 AM
I have no experience doing this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. Since the laminate floor floats I would think you could install laminate over the ceramic tile.

ken masoumi
04-25-2015, 11:31 AM
I did exactly that in my kitchen, I highly recommend using foam underlayment at least 1/4" thick, Home Depot sells sound block foam (http://www.homedepot.com/p/SimpleSolutions-Soundbloc-Foam-Underlayment-for-Laminate-Flooring-Reduces-Noise-100-sq-ft-Coverage-45055/100093264)which is what I used.

Rick Moyer
04-25-2015, 4:30 PM
This isn't helping, but; since this is a woodworking forum, I think what your asking is like putting two coats of bad paint over waterfall bubinga! Lol.:D

Keith Westfall
04-25-2015, 10:59 PM
I would think that if you have cold tile, you will have cold laminate. We found that laminate isn't a warm floor...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2015, 11:13 PM
I would recommend contacting the manufacturer for their recommendation. I'd hate to go to the expense and time only to find out later after the floor fails that it wasn't installed in a recommended manner.