PDA

View Full Version : Thuya Burl Pen

John Hart
08-08-2005, 7:18 AM
I finally tried something other than a slimline pen. This is a kit that I got at Berea Hardwoods. I really like the way it operates and it is pretty heavy. This is definitely MY pen. The wood is a Thuya burl and the finish is oil and shellac. I like the finish but I don't know how it'll hold up. Sheesh...These finishes are driving me nuts!!

Thanks for looking!

Matthew Poeller
08-08-2005, 7:45 AM
Very nice pen John. I found that thuys is a little easier to turn than some of the punkier burls. I love the way the thuya looks. I just completed a pen made from that last week. I love the way that it polishes.

Andy London
08-08-2005, 8:29 AM
Looks Great. We use a lot of Thuya in the shop for turnings and flat work. My son, Seth who turns pens, generally puts 6 or 7 coats of the Hut crystal coat on, I have a Thuya pen here atthe office that is about a year or so old and it is still holding up great.

Bill Stevener
08-08-2005, 10:40 AM
John,

Now that is one great looking pen. I would also mark it as a keeper. Soon you will be attending art fairs, so you better start thinking about price lists. A real winner.

Have a cool day,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:) :) :) :) :)

Mike Ramsey
08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Great looking pen John! Oh and congrats on you being a Moderator!! Or were you already a Mod? I don't always pay a lot of attention ;).

John Hart
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone. This pen was a real joy to turn...although, I can't quite identify the smell. Really interesting aroma....kinda like Disinfectant and the bottom of a Pencil Sharpener. I dunno.... Still, it's great wood to work with!

Andy - I just got a PM from someone recommending the HUT stuff too. Thanks...I'll give 'er a go. It sounds like I might start seeing some durability pretty soon!

Mike - Thanks...I don't pay much attention either. I didn't notice for a couple days m'self! Actually, I am simply the moderator for the new HandyKraft forum. Take a look. I'm trying something new to fill the millions of hours of free time I have!!:D

Ernie Nyvall
08-08-2005, 8:10 PM
Great looking pen John. All these woods I've never heard of... gees.

Ernie

Gary Max
08-08-2005, 8:35 PM
Great looking pen John
Where did you find free time at---I need to look for some myself.