PDA

View Full Version : 16" Hard Maple Salad Bowl

Bob Bergstrom
04-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Local ice cream shop owner wanted a large salad bowl. Our club sawed maple last year and this is one of many blanks we took home. It has two coats of Forby's Tung oil for finish. Measures a little under 16" in diameter and 5 1/2" deep. I left it a thick 1/2" in the walls and 5/8" at the rim. Beads were turned with a 3/8" spindle gouge. Wonder he would fill it with ice cream for me first:D

Allan Ferguson
04-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Everything is to like about this bowl. The bottom treatment is very appealing. Allan

David Delo
04-24-2015, 1:06 PM
That bowl piled high and overflowing with ice cream, hot fudge, bananas and whipped cream should be on the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food show with Adam Richmond to see if he's up to the challenge.

Doug Herzberg
04-24-2015, 6:22 PM
Nicely done and huge. I like the beads. I could see that full of ice cream.

BILL DONAHUE
04-24-2015, 8:56 PM
The perfect bowl! The decorative pattern on the bottom really sets it apart as special. Very Cool!

Bob Bergstrom
04-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Local ice cream shop owner wanted a large salad bowl. Our club sawed maple last year and this is one of many blanks we took home. It has two coats of Forby's Tung oil for finish. Measures a little under 16" in diameter and 5 1/2" deep. I left it a thick 1/2" in the walls and 5/8" at the rim. Beads were turned with a 3/8" spindle gouge. Wonder he would fill it with ice cream for me first:D

We used to have an ice cream place here in Chicago called Melody Lane. They had huge ice cream concoctions for large groups. The biggest was one called McGee's Closet. It had 50 plus scoops of ice cream and every type of topping in the house. That bowl sure would make a fun party for a group of hurry eaters. Thanks to all for the kind words.

Steve Huffman
04-25-2015, 9:25 AM
I agree with all the above, well done, and I really like the extras on the bottom. Adds a nice touch to the whole piece.