PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready For A Show/Live Demo

George Guadiane
04-23-2015, 11:34 AM
I am going to be at the St. Johns River Festival of the Arts (http://www.stjohnsriverartfest.com/) again NEXT weekend (the first weekend in May).
Again, this year, I was selected to do live demonstrations.
SO, I decided to get my own 1221 so that I wouldn't have to be mooching off of my friends. The Monster articulated arm base and "T" nut kit are on the way, I'm going to be hooked up!
One of the things I'll be demonstrating will be eggs.
Included is an image of one of the items I'll be offering for sale. The silver plate is a Victorian (soft) boiled egg holder. I've made a few eggs out of various woods so far and will make a bunch more to select from for the final presentation.

John K Jordan
04-23-2015, 3:25 PM
George,

I hope this does not come across as too critical but although the eggs in the photo look well turned some of the shapes are off. Truth be known, over the years I have seen many turned eggs that don't look "right". Perhaps my eyes are more tuned to egg shapes than some - we raise chickens and guineas and I have seen eggs every day for years. I even have two peacock eggs at the moment and probably more on the way.

I have recommended this to others and saw big improvements: for the best shape while turning eggs, get a real egg or two, jumbo size, and refer to them while turning. You can even mark off a series of lines on the surface and take measurements to help get the shape right. A template made from a real egg also works but I generally dislike using templates.

Some of those at the rear of your photo have very nice shapes, at least on the visible "pointed" end. Those in the foreground, not as much. Besides a realistic shape, the surface also needs a continuous curve from end to end with no "waves".

Again, my intent is not to discourage but to provide constructive feedback. I assume you posted the photo as an invitation for critique as well as atta-boys! I'm sure you will do well in the demo and sales. Best wishes (and take extra tools - my experience is the more important the demo, the more chance I forget something critical!)

BTW, that is a great little lathe for demos. I have a couple I carry around - I got my first one when the Harry Potter books were being released - I set up in front of a bookstore in Knoxville and made and sold magic wands, both made-to-order and a bunch I brought. Some people waited for several hours for a wand! (I don't try to sell much but one year I took in $1750 over about three hours - paid for the lathe, stand, and some extra chucks. I couldn't believe how many people would pay $40-$60 for a fancy stick!) Some people even visited my shop later where I had more time to make better custom wands I couldn't do quickly at the store. One thing I did for the lathe: I fastened a 12" rod on the right rear stand bolt hole and mounted a light on a swing arm on the top. I hate to turn wood without enough light!

JKJ

George Guadiane
04-23-2015, 9:28 PM
Thank you for your input John

Don Orr
04-27-2015, 1:22 PM
Have lathe-will travel ??? Good for you George, I'm sure you will enjoy that machine.

John is right about turning eggs. We all think we know what a egg looks like until we try to turn one. I have done many, many eggs and few look like the real thing, and no 2 are even close to the same. One year I did a bunch of egg boxes and filled them with jelly beans for people for Easter-not easy but I was stil abeginner then. Eggs are a fun challenge-great skew practice too. Good luck at the show!

charlie knighton
04-27-2015, 1:49 PM
George, here in malta, I thought a display had a bunch of stone eggs, after reading info found out they were ammo for slingers....look sort of like eggs but more blunt on the ends.....you will have to wait for picture....forgot my cord to transfer pictures to computer.....took 3 days of wandering around before found shop with another memory card that fit my camera......

charlie knighton
04-28-2015, 10:01 AM
sorry about the focus, it was in glass

found cord in bottom of suitcase......starting to run out of clothes