PDA

View Full Version : Wall Oven Cabinet Design Question....

Justin Jump
04-23-2015, 10:40 AM
It's been a while all, actually been busy drafting up the cabinets for my kitchen project, which to funds actually being available for once, the wife has bumped up to this summer!!

Anyways, I have a double wall oven cabinet question....

My layout has one side of the cabinet exposed, so I plan on finishing that the way I finished my bathroom vanity, which is a full size rail and stile panel. I might break it up into sections, but the general idea is to finish it with a panel. I don't think I want this up against the counter top side, the counter top would either have a gap or notched to fir the shaker profile.

Picture below.....

My question is on the other side that will have base cabinet and counter top up against it, how/or what is the norm for this other than just a full sheet of ply finished to match? Pictures or examples would be great!!

THX....

George Bokros
04-23-2015, 10:51 AM
I would make the exposed side two panels. One the size of the panel on the cabinet base you have the picture of but make the center rail twice the width of the top rail on the base cabinet you have in the picture. On the base cabinet side I would make a panel with the rail at counter top height but wide enough so that what is above the counter top is the width of the rain on the end panel in the picture. make the panel with a top rail to just below the upper cabinets if there are uppers over the base, if not uppers then a full panel the size of the top panel on the exposed side.

Peter Quinn
04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
I like panels on the inside ends of the cabinets. Plywood finished ends around a counter top feels like failure waiting to happen to me...trickle of water, process starts. Wood is way more resilient. We do plywood ends a lot at present job, not my call, I don't like it. Last job we almost always did paneled inside ends, much more finished look to me. We ran a full length stile usually mitered around the corner, sometimes we rabbited the back of the stile on the cabinet face to accept the side panel stile. The bottoms rail comes in right at counter top height, so the counter top tucks under it for a clean look. Makes install timing trickier, you have to make sure you can actually get the counter in! We would usually cope and stick the side panels, then tongue the stile of the adjacent lowers and uppers and slot the stiles to accept these, looks flawless, never opens up, more work in the shop but an easy install, beats a butt joint. Sorry I never took pictures except mental ones!