PDA

View Full Version : Rubber vs Urethane Band Saw Tires

Carroll Courtney
04-22-2015, 7:17 PM
Today I went shopping for good old American made rubber band saw tires but they seem to be alittle hard to find.Different places that I went to all had the urethane tires and went into the reason why they no longer sell the rubber ones.But I also read about problems that members having problems with the urethane tires.So as a refresher course,what's the better products on the market now days for some BS tires?Any links,or your thoughts on rubber vs urethane?Thanks Carroll

lowell holmes
04-22-2015, 7:27 PM
I've had no problems with Urethane tires. I replaced mine years ago with urethane and they are still in good condition. If your wheels have a crown made into the rim and you install the tire poperly, it should last. No adhesive is required.
I have no experience with rubber tires, so I cannot compare them.

Gary Radice
04-22-2015, 7:54 PM
For rubber tires, try Woodworkers Tool Works. You can find them online. I have had excellent service from them.

Gary

Today I went shopping for good old American made rubber band saw tires but they seem to be alittle hard to find.Different places that I went to all had the urethane tires and went into the reason why they no longer sell the rubber ones.But I also read about problems that members having problems with the urethane tires.So as a refresher course,what's the better products on the market now days for some BS tires?Any links,or your thoughts on rubber vs urethane?Thanks Carroll

Bruce Whitaker
04-22-2015, 8:14 PM
Woodworkers Tool Works. I have purchased for three band saws from them and there is no better service of more knowledgable people.

Michael W. Clark
04-22-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure which is better, but if you go urethane, look on Amazon. Sulphur Grove has a good selection that will likely fit your wheels better and they are very reasonably priced if you want to try them. I had some from Carter and they did not fit my 14" Delta right.

Erik Loza
04-23-2015, 12:35 PM
I would personally prefer rubber but urethane seems to be a lot more widely available.

Erik

Carroll Courtney
04-23-2015, 1:38 PM
I agree Erik,I was wondering why it seems that most are directing towards the urethane tires.But my BS is a Delta/Milwaukee which is alittle over 30plus yrs old and the tires are crack.But I think that the past owners including myself got their moneys worth out of them.But the good news is with the help of the members here I order them from Bobby at Woodworkers Tools.Thanks for the help

Peter Kelly
04-23-2015, 1:55 PM
Carter makes rubber tires as well: http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-wheels-tires/stretch-on-rubber-tires

Jamie Schmitz
04-23-2015, 5:33 PM
I am a new BS user but I recently purchased a set of urethane tires and I must say that they are working out great compared to the rubber tires I replaced. The first thing I noticed is that the dust from green wood does not seem to stick as much to the urethane. Also had the blade freeze after a chunk o'wood got caught between the throat plate and blade which stopped the blade in its tracks and when I took the cover off there was no damage to the tire. This same thing happened with the rubber tires on and it took out chunks which is why I replaced them.

ken masoumi
04-23-2015, 5:47 PM
About 3 weeks ago I replaced the old rubber tires with a pair of new ones, I wanted the same type of tires that came with the saw, the reason for choosing rubber was it worked for all these years so why not stick with something that I know for sure will work.

Mike Heidrick
04-23-2015, 5:52 PM
Urethane tires do not crack over time and do not require glue to install them like many rubber tires do.