PDA

View Full Version : 12" SCMS - most rigid design? Rousseau stand?

J.R. Rutter
08-07-2005, 7:32 PM
Anyone have a favorite 12" SCMS? Main criteria are solid, rigid design for both slides and chop cuts, big dust collection port, and ergonomic handle.

I am thinking about a 12" SCMS and Rouuseau stand to replace my Makita 10" and shop built stand. I would like to use this for everything from rough length cuts in wide lumber to perfect 90 deg cuts for rail and stile parts. since I have a dedicated CTD miter saw, this saw will stay at 90 deg. I am thinking of using an MDF top on the saw table to increase cross cutting capacity (seems like I do a lot of door panels that are just over 12" wide).

For the stand/fence, I would like something that is solid with a stop capable of gang cuts. A fold-down extension system would be a big help. My current setup is a Broset stop with a 4 ft. wooden fence screwed to the saw fence, so it doesn't fold. Anyone have experience with the Rousseau?

-JR

Rob Russell
08-07-2005, 9:14 PM
"JR",

A couple of things:

I have a Dewalt DW708 and have been happy with it. I have not had hands-on use of any other 12" SCMS so can't provide much comparitive feedback. I do like the DW708 handle and find it comfortable to use.
I've been looking for a good miter stand myself, so can't comment about what I have, 'cuz I don't have anything (yet).
Lastly, the SMC forum rules say that we use full first and last names, not initials. Just send a note to the admins with your first name (click on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page) and they'll take care of updating your profile for you straight away.

Rob

Per Swenson
08-07-2005, 9:29 PM
Hello JR,

Although I own the big Makita SCMS and could go

on and on about its merits, I won't.

Because the difference in the top 3 saws, Makita, Bosch, Dewalt

in the over $500 range are just nitpicking, cosmetic and slightly

ergonomic. And any answer would be prejudiced by brand loyalty.

On the other hand you would be hard pressed to find a better stand

then the rigid miter stand at home depot. Usually on sale for $99.

It has been commented on this forum alot with pictures.

I hope this helps.

Per

Steve Cox
08-07-2005, 9:59 PM
I've got the Bosch 12" SCMS and like Per could go on and on about its' features. One that I think might be germane to this discussion however is the handle. It is rotatable from horizontal to vertical and places in between. It also has a safety switch (must be pressed before pulling the trigger) that has two buttons, one for lefties and the other for us normal folk :) . I find myself using this feature a lot. Although I am right handed I make many cuts left handed while holding boards. Another reason I like this saw is that accessories like a hold down, extension wings, and a stop come standard rather than being extras. I too have the Ridgid stand and find it has many great features like having set up and fully aligned in less than two minutes and breakdown is even faster. Handles and wheels are great also. The one minus with this stand IMHO is that there is no table and stop system with it. For myself, I made a table with a stop that clamps to the stand and that only adds about minute to the set up stand. Hope this helps.

Silas Smith
08-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I bought the Rousseau stand from a guy being transfered overseas about a year ago. It has freed up the entire side of the garage that was dedicated to my mitersaw. I now have a lathe and Router table along the wall along with the miter saw. It is relatively good and for the price I paid for it, it was a no brainer. Paying full price for it???? I don't think so. The HD stand will serve you just fine. But if you have money to burn, after adjustments, the Rousseau is nice. It just depends on what you are looking for.

CPeter James
08-07-2005, 10:54 PM
This is my home made stand. it rolls on casters and has two folding wings. I love my Dewalt 708, but like others said, all the saws in this price range are good.

CPeter

J.R. Rutter
08-08-2005, 1:48 AM
Understood on the saws. The local Home Depot's demos are so poorly set up that you can't tell how rigid the linear bearings and castings are. Another shop that I deal with has the big Bosch, and likes the handle as well.

I should clarify that while cost is a factor, I don't have time to make a stand (though it is tempting after seeing CPeters and others), and this will stricktly be for shop use, not transported. Casters are a must. Considering the dust generated by these saws, I'm thinking of integrating a spare dust blower and bag under the stand, which the Rousseau seems to have space for.

Silas, are the wings on your stand engineered to maintain their alignment level with the saw table? Are they rigid enough to keep the fence accurate? Does the stop have any play in it that could hurt accuracy?

Thanks

PS, I'm JRutter on every forum that I've used for the last 6-8 years. I do get tired of people asking if I'm related to the composer...

Bill Fields
08-08-2005, 2:11 AM
Following the advice of pro Creekers like Per and others, I bought the Ridgid MS station for about $170.

Then, I bought the HF 12" CSMS for about $170.

I WAS going to build a really fancy MS station, using plans/ideas of my own.

Not happening any time soon as these two above referenced devices take care almost perfectly for all my needs for this type of tool. About $450 expended.

A fair amount of owner (me) mods was involved to make this work out.

Best

Bill Fields

Jeff A. Smith
08-08-2005, 2:37 AM
I've got the Rousseau stand, and I don't like the fences on it. The stops are not square to the fence, and even though I've tried to re-shape them, shim them, etc., they're still not. Therefore, a 42" thin piece might be 42 inches, but a 42" wide piece (which touches the end of the stop, might be 41-15/16"

It's one non-shop-built article that I have where I can definitely say, "coulda done better myself."

Plus, because of the gap between the end of the saw's table and where the fence starts, you can't use it for stop-measured cuts of anything (if memory serves) less than around 22 inches.

It's too expensive, too. Plus, if you don't put a piece of ply under it, it's noisy.

I rate it a 3 out of 10, and if someone stole mine, not only would I not buy another one, I'd help 'em load it.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL