View Full Version : New member with front vise question

Bill Baethke
04-22-2015, 10:18 AM
First post from a new member. I have learned quite a bit from this community already, and I thank everyone for the time and thoughtful responses.

I am in the final stages of my workbench build, and cannot decide how I want to mount the front vise. I have already placed an end vise on the right side- a twin screw made from two Lee Valley tail vise screws. The front vise that I have is a steel faced 10" Morgan/Milwaukee. I would like to flush mount it, but I cannot decide on the placement of the vise. My old bench has the front vise mounted flush to the left side of the bench, which I find useful. I have noticed that some people prefer the front vise to be a few inches away from the side (Paul Sellers design). If I mount the vise left justified, it will be about 10 inches from the leg. If I bring it in toward the center- closer to the leg, I can see some benefit for using a holdfast on the leg. I would like to hear a few opinions on why people choose a particular location for their front vise, how much wider the face can be (ie: 14" wide face on 10" steel vise), and how thick the dynamic face should be in relation to the width of the jaw. I have a few pics on my phone, and will try to post a few later. Thanks.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Howdy Bill and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate a location, something about which I am always curious.

Having the vise flush with the left side has less advantage for me than having the vise close to the leg for an added clamping surface.

Flush with the left side does allow for a way to hold a piece while sawing it to length. Now my tendency is to use a saw bench or a pair of bench hooks.

Having it away from the left end allows one to use the vise to hold an assembly over the end of the bench while held in the vise. This might be useful for planing proud dovetails.

If you have trouble posting pics here is an old post of mine that may be of help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

There have been some changes in the software since then but it has the general information.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
04-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Good day and welcome to SMC!

This is probably one of those catch 22 situations, but I prefer the vise to be left justified so that I can clamp things for sawing, and also I can clamp odd-shaped things and let them wrap around the bench. As for clamping to the leg with a holdfast, there is always the option of adding a skirt like an English style bench, which gives you dog holes all along the side for holdfasts. Someone here recently posted a nice bench done that way.

Robert Engel
04-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Mine is mounted to the left of the left front leg and seems to work out just fine.
I don't see any advantage in mounting at the end of the bench.

Tom Bussey
04-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Welcome to theforum. I use a shoulder vise at the left end of the bench so I can't be of much help.312039

Bill Baethke
04-22-2015, 12:29 PM
I was able to upload a few pics to help visualize my bench. It is a long story....basically, I bought a cheapo Sjobergs top on Craig's List, started making the base using some of Paul Sellers' ideas, decided that the Sjobergs was junk and that I would laminate my own top, and that is where I am now. You can see the front vise on the opposite end of the table in one pic. I have only used hand tools for this, except for a drill press for the dog holes. I did purchase 2x2 lumber for the top, so no hand ripping on that. The end vise turned out well, and I think it will be able to do anything that I might need the left justified front vise for. Your responses have me thinking that I might go ahead and mount it closer to the leg.

Chuck Nickerson
04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
How good are you at keeping the shop at the left end of your bench clear?
The left end of my bench is 2' from the wall, so a vise at the far left wouldn't be ideal.

Chris Hachet
04-22-2015, 1:54 PM
Welcome to theforum. I use a shoulder vise at the left end of the bench so I can't be of much help.312039

Nice looking bench...

Bill Baethke
04-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I usually have a clean space to the left of the bench. The top and tool tray are not mounted yet, so I have options at this point. I have to decide which method of mortising it flush, as well. I will probably mount over the leg. It is currently 72", but I could shorten the length and have it both near the leg, and the edge.

Jim Matthews
04-23-2015, 6:58 PM
I have a similar set up, with my vise fully 'justified' to the end of the bench.

If my bench were longer than five feet, maybe I would move it inboard some.
The nice thing about the vise type you have is that you can move it easily enough.

I say plunk it where it 'looks' best to you and move it if it gets in the way.

I will say this - I use my holdfasts and battens more than either vise.

John A langley
04-23-2015, 7:50 PM
Hi Bill welcome to the forum from one Kansan into another just down the road from you

Bill Baethke
04-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks, John. I have been meaning to get out to Baldwin City to look at that antique booth that has all the old planes and such. Not that I need any more planes......

Bill Baethke
04-27-2015, 3:46 PM
We had family in town all week, so I didn't get much accomplished on the bench. I did manage to decide on the method. After researching over a dozen different ways to install a steel faced wood vise, I decided on a method that uses a mortised back face, inset to the top. This should give me a nice top surface that blends with the top, and be flush with the front edge of the top. My top is laminated- mostly beech 2x2s. The supplier was a few boards short of what I needed, so I made up the difference in mahogany, which was less expensive than the beech. I laminated 2 4/4 beech boards for the faces, and currently plan on 16" wide faces on the 10" vise. I used a chisel and router plane to mortise in the rear of the vise. The photo does not show the final fit, but will give an idea. I intentionally left a "rail" in the middle, and on the side to help the router plane registration. Those were chiseled out easily. The only decision left to make is where I am going to inset this thing. The end of the bench would be much easier than an inset near the left leg. 312418312419

John A langley
04-27-2015, 4:49 PM
The planes are nice to look at but the guy wants fortune for Then if you can come at lunchtime will have lunch at The Mexican restaurant