PDA

View Full Version : Shop pics...

Paul D. May
06-03-2003, 7:51 AM
Good morning,

Here are some inside pics of my recently completed shop. 20 x 20 is kind of small compared to my barn (We moved in August...) I built the entire thing from scratch in about 6 weeks to get it buttoned up for the winter. I then spent the next two months finishing the inside.

This first picture is as you step inside. Handtools and bench on the far wall. The bandsaw is rolled into the corner when not in use.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p184562ba1becf4cccd8612bd29763a0d/fc04bb66.jpg

Here is the south wall where I have put the lumber rack. I made it high enough so I could get a couple of rolling cabinets underneath like my router table. The vaulted ceilings make this all possible.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p8d41444579fb3c349ea12b5562d25e23/fc04bb60.jpg

Here I put the table saw on the north wall with an outfeed table I built that has 9 drawers for hardware. This makes the table heavy but can still be rolled around.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p3fef56c2ac19a895bf11f0b3cd1ed857/fc04bb5c.jpg

The last area is the corner where my lathe is and a door out to the backyard.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pf253fcc5ec7a48fc0421221067233540/fc04bb64.jpg

I had to get used to having things on wheels to roll them out of the way when not needed. This gives me a lot of room in the middle to assemble larger cases, etc...

I have since put trim around the doors and windows..

Paul

Paul Geer
06-03-2003, 8:33 AM
I like the vaulted ceilings, at the lowest corner of the ceiling is that 8' or 9'?

And how do you heat it?

Jim Becker
06-03-2003, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Paul D. May
I had to get used to having things on wheels to roll them out of the way when not needed. This gives me a lot of room in the middle to assemble larger cases, etc...

Nice job on the shop, Paul. I do wish I had that headroom in my shop, but that isn't going to happen as it would take away the room overhead! I am curious about the color on the ceiling...do you find the darker color inhibits any of your lighting due to lower reflectivity?

I an firmly convinced that no matter what size shop one has, mobile bases are generally a good idea. There is always that "one project" that having a little extra assembly space or some extra outfeed space comes in handy. Additionally, some tools in the shop may change over time and being able to realign things appropriately (and easily) is a nice feature.

It also makes "deep cleaning" of the shop a lot easier...at least for those of us who are anal about such things!

Ben Nothstein
06-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Paul: Very nice job on your new shop,thanks for sharing it with us..

Mike Evertsen
06-03-2003, 2:08 PM
great job on the shop,,,,,,,

Bruce Page
06-03-2003, 4:20 PM
Hello Paul, it’s good to see your name up again. I wish I had those high ceilings. The new shop looks great!

When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room. - Woody Allen

Ron McNeil
06-03-2003, 4:31 PM
Paul,

Nice job on the shop. I wish I was that talented to build my own. I have a 14' X 24' shop with three windows and a 9' X 7' garage door but I paid an Amish company to build it for me. I need to build a lumber rack something like yours maybe not quite as big since I do not have loads of space. Thanks for sharing with pictures.

Jim Baker
06-03-2003, 10:11 PM
That's a first class job on your shop, Paul. It looks like you have made excellent use of your space. Thanks for the tour.

John Miliunas
06-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Yup, 20x20 may be a bit small, but you've got me by 3', plus you don't have a main thoroughfare like I do, so you've definitely got a couple things up on me! The vaulted ceiling is absolutely advantageous and I think adds some nice character to the shop. I noticed you have what looks like 4" PVC on one end. Can we assume this is going to a DC or maybe a Cyclone? Inquiring minds want to know...:D Have load of fun in your new shop! Looks like a winner to me. :cool:

Jason Roehl
06-04-2003, 7:50 AM
It's not the size of the shop that matters, but the work that comes out of it. After all that teasing of us you did on BP about building the new shop, it's good to finally see some pics of the inside. We've been patiently waiting.

Andrew Field
06-04-2003, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by Jason Roehl
It's not the size of the shop that matters, but the work that comes out of it. After all that teasing of us you did on BP about building the new shop, it's good to finally see some pics of the inside. We've been patiently waiting.

Ain't that the truth. Ever see Dave Smith's shop? Ever see the stuff he makes? It seems like half the furniture he makes couldn't even fit in the shop once completed.

Paul D. May
06-04-2003, 2:07 PM
Originally posted by Paul Geer
I like the vaulted ceilings, at the lowest corner of the ceiling is that 8' or 9'?

And how do you heat it?

Hi Paul,

I will be putting in a 40,000 BTU Hot Dawg this fall...

Paul D. May
06-04-2003, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
Nice job on the shop, Paul. I do wish I had that headroom in my shop, but that isn't going to happen as it would take away the room overhead! I am curious about the color on the ceiling...do you find the darker color inhibits any of your lighting due to lower reflectivity?

The shop ceilings are the smae glossy white...I don;t know why they came out so dark in the photos Jim...

Jim Becker
06-04-2003, 2:31 PM

As it appears you have gas available, consider a ceiling-mounted direct vent radient system. Great heat...no flame...no fumes...no air blowing around kicking up dust on your finishing processes. You could run it right down the ridge out of the way and the height you have available is absolutely ideal for this type of heat.

Brad McInnes
06-04-2003, 3:06 PM
Hi Paul,

Paul,

Nice shop! I also have a Hot Dawg heater in my shop and I think it is a fantastic unit. You will enjoy having the heat in the winter.

Brad

Scott Coffelt
06-04-2003, 11:14 PM
If you look to the far left on one of the pictures you can see a DC in the corner.

Jorge Castañeda
06-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Good going Paul, it did not take you long, and the result is a very pleasant space, I think it is a good size, and with the tall ceilings it will be a joy to work on, by the way, it looks better than many peoples living rooms, including ours. : )
Thanks for showing us,
Jorge

Mike Johnson - Chicago
06-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Paul,

Great looking shop! The one question I have is regarding the vaulted ceiling.

How did you do that without anything to hold the walls together? Around here they tell me that the roof will push the walls out if there is not a joist to hold them together....collar ties?

THanks,
M.J.

Paul D. May
06-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mike Johnson - Chicago
Paul,

Great looking shop! The one question I have is regarding the vaulted ceiling.

How did you do that without anything to hold the walls together? Around here they tell me that the roof will push the walls out if there is not a joist to hold them together....collar ties?

THanks,
M.J.

6/12 Scissor trusses Mike! The contruction is basic 2 x4 walls tied together and scissor trusses.

Thanks...

Paul