PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed wood table top question

Tracy McCarty
04-22-2015, 7:53 AM
How would you go about making this top. I am concerned about expansion of the field boards.
Thanks Tracy

Brian Tymchak
04-22-2015, 8:54 AM
I am concerned about expansion of the field boards.

Yea, I would be too. Tops are usually built in the other direction which helps minimize the amount of expansion (and allows the movement to be directed to the back of the table). Just off the top of my head, I would make sure the field boards are quartersawn to help minimize expansion. Then I think I would build the top as a frame and panel construction letting the field float in the frame. You will likely have 1/8"-3/16" gaps between the frame and panel edge at the ends of the top during the dry season.

Brian Hale
04-22-2015, 8:57 AM
I'd be looking at veneers

Erik Loza
04-22-2015, 9:02 AM
The table in the photo looks like it's encased in so much epoxy or varnish that it probably is hermetically sealed and impervious to humidity.

Erik

Mike Wilkins
04-22-2015, 9:04 AM
The builder of that table likely had only short boards to use for the top, since it was reclaimed wood. He had lemons; he made lemonade.
As for expansion-I would glue up the short boards, looking for as much quartersawn as possible. Then route a tongue around the perimeter and a groove into the frame, allowing a gap all around. Larger gap at each end (+/- 1/8").