PDA

View Full Version : Speedy 300 upgrade from 25W to 60W

Nebojsa Jovanovic
04-22-2015, 6:43 AM
Hi, has anyone upgrade Speedy 300 from 25W to 40W or 60W?
Trotec representative in Serbia gave us quote for 60W and it's 10K Euros.
It's almost the price of new Speedy 100 25W.
They said they need to change several parts inside.
I guess they change power supply but I am not sure about the rest.
We have Synrad 48-2 inside.
What tube model is used for 60W?

Glen Monaghan
04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
You can expect the cost to upgrade a laser engraver to higher wattage to be approximately the difference in cost between the price of an engraver with the higher wattage and the price of a machine with the lower wattage, or even somewhat more than that difference. Otherwise, they would lose money since it would be more economical to buy a lower wattage machine and upgrade. The cost can be greater than the difference in new prices because they need to cover their efforts as well as the cost of the replaced parts, such as original tube, wiring harnesses, power supplies, etc., that have to be replaced but can't be resold (at least not at their original/new prices), plus there's the convenience fee versus having to trade-in and buy an entirely new machine. In some cases, you may also need additional parts, such as adapters, when older machines need to be modified to be compatible with newer parts during the upgrade.

Tony Lenkic
04-22-2015, 3:05 PM
Nebojsa,

I believe this would be a major changeover as today's Trotec machine are fitted with ceramicore laser tubes (no more Synrad). You would be better of selling the old one and purchase brand new system.

Nebojsa Jovanovic
04-22-2015, 4:55 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I don't think Trotec discontinued Synrad tubes yet. I have just recently bought another Speedy 100 with 30W tube and as far as I know, it's Synrad. Iridion doesn't have 30W tubes.
However, renewing the SP300 would surely be good investment for the future since SP400 is out of my budget.