PDA

View Full Version : Is this boat motor likely to start?

Wade Lippman
04-21-2015, 7:18 PM
About 10 years ago someone donated a Mariner 4hp motor to my son's rowing club. The guy who maintained the club's motors cleaned it up, and they decided they had no use for it. So they gave it to me. (in appreciation of all the work I did for them, I suppose) I took it because I was hoping to get a sailboat.
Well, I am finally going to get the sailboat. Is the motor likely to still work?
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Joe Kieve
04-21-2015, 7:29 PM
It's made by Mercury isn't it....of course it's likely to still work! (Provided you didn't leave fuel in it all those years)

Myk Rian
04-21-2015, 7:37 PM
Mercury made some changes to the drive shafts because the exhaust ate them. Pull the lower half off and check that. It could be expensive if it needs replacing.

ryan paulsen
04-21-2015, 7:52 PM
Only one way to find out! I would drain any fuel, then add a cap of oil to the cylinder and turn over a couple of times hand. Add some fresh fuel and give it a yank. In a water tank of course...

Tom M King
04-21-2015, 8:36 PM
If it doesn't fire up fairly quickly, rebuild the carb. The best thing for putting a kit in a small carburetor is a white dish pan. I'd only run non-ethanol in it.

Wade Lippman
04-21-2015, 8:43 PM
I was told it was in great condition when they gave it to me, and I don't think they were dumb enough to leave gas in it.
When you say put a cap of oil in the cylinder, you mean in the spark plug hole?

Rich Engelhardt
04-22-2015, 7:04 AM
Even if it had gas in it I wouldn't get too worried just yet.
A friend of mine bought a storage locker for $25 and inside was a two stroke Toro snow blower.
The thing had to have been in there a good 10 years with a half tank of fuel.
He topped the tank of with gas/oil and the thing started right up.

I gave him $25 for the thing three years ago & it still starts and runs great.

Myk Rian
04-22-2015, 4:09 PM
When you say put a cap of oil in the cylinder, you mean in the spark plug hole?
Is there any other way to do it, short of pulling the head off?

Wade Lippman
04-22-2015, 9:36 PM
Is there any other way to do it, short of pulling the head off?

If I knew that I wouldn't have asked.

ryan paulsen
04-23-2015, 7:16 AM
Yes, just add a little oil through the spark plug hole, just like you were fogging it for winter.

I would also run a strong dose of seafoam through the first couple tanks of gas, assuming she fires. Good luck!