PDA

View Full Version : Jointer decisons

Izzy Camire
04-21-2015, 5:06 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a Delta 6 inch jointer but I have been keeping my eye out for a used 8 inch jointer as I would like to upgrade. Last night I went to look at a Powermatic 60B with a mobile base. It was in a home hobby shop and was in excellent condition. It did not appear to be used much and the owner claimed it only had 10 hours or so on it although the knives were somewhat dull. I checked it out and the tables were coplaner and flat although the infeed table had a slight dip in it that I didn't feel was a problem. I ran a piece through it and I thought it was fine. The asking price is $1500 which I feel is very high. Given its condition I offered $1200 but it was refused. It will go back on Craigslist. I feel I made the right decsiion what do you guys think?

I also have been offered a Delta DJ20 with mobile base that is about 15 years old. The owner bought it for his home hobby shop but he started doing it for a living and eventually got a job in a commercial shop and so now it just sits. He is asking $1000. I have not looked at it because I am leary of buying another Delta machine given the company has abandoned their customers by no longer offering parts or sevice. I already have other Delta machines so I am not sure I want to buy another of their machines. What do you guys think should I go look at it?

Izzy

Jesse Busenitz
04-21-2015, 5:11 PM
I think you made a good choice on the PM.... I wouldn't be afraid to buy a delta, at least an older machine, but that's just me. See if you can you talk him down a bit. And last but not least keep your eyes open for something bigger:D

Izzy Camire
04-21-2015, 5:43 PM
Thanks Jesse. Bigger sounds good but it needs to fit in the shop.

Kent A Bathurst
04-21-2015, 6:19 PM
Love my 60B - outfitted with a Terminus quick-change head [straight knives]. Has always served me very well - once I got it set up, it has been plug-and-play.

But I would not expect to get $1,200 for it, much less $1,500.

Just because the guy's machine is painted gold does not mean it is actual gold.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-21-2015, 6:24 PM
I have a DJ20 and have been very happy with it. It doesn't have many parts that can fail plus Grizzly makes a clone of the DJ20.

Myk Rian
04-21-2015, 7:48 PM
DJ20s go for $800 to $1,000.

Kent A Bathurst
04-21-2015, 7:57 PM
DJ20s go for $800 to $1,000.

Whatcha think about the PM60B? What is the market for one of those in VG+ condition?

Bill Adamsen
04-21-2015, 8:46 PM
There's a #60 for sale in Manchester CT for $1000 ... that seems to be the going price and has been for many many years. I think $1500 unless there is some exceptional reason like a Byrd head with extra cutters plus the original head, is simply too much. I also think 12 inches is better than 8, 16 better than 12 ... well you get the idea. I really like the Powermatic as a well machined and versatile piece of equipment.

Scott Brandstetter
04-21-2015, 8:51 PM
It's only my opinion but I would do research on an 8 inch Grizzly. I just got mine and couldn't be happier. I also, a week or before the jointer, got a Grizz cabinet table saw. I've not had them long enough to give a real review of what they will hold for the future but there are plenty out there who love them. I don't know what else I could want in either tool.

Bill Adamsen
04-21-2015, 9:16 PM
The last side-by-side comparison I made between similar 8" jointers by "Bear", Delta and PM (admittedly many years ago) had the PM head and shoulders out front. The PM jointer comes out of the factory with an almost mirror-like surface, and all adjustments can be tuned to function perfectly. Functionally, my perception was that the PM was a superior machine. It will hold value (as stated before) exceptionally well. Other's have mentioned that General also made a good tool ... but for me, were I buying an 8" jointer ... it would be PM.

I should probably take a look once again at the Bear stuff just to verify formerly made opinions.

Jeff Duncan
04-21-2015, 9:28 PM
I have a Delta DJ20 and I would not hesitate to buy one again. It's a good quality machine that should do just about everything you could want a jointer to do. I paid quite a bit less for mine, but prices fluctuate over time and by region. I'm not a fan of the "Bear" machines myself, so would pay a decent amount more for a used quality machine. To me $1000 is a fair price, not a great deal, but not terrible either.

As for the Powermatic, I'd be hard pressed to pay $1500 for any used 8" jointer, just too much for that size machine IMHO.

good luck,
JeffD

Kent A Bathurst
04-21-2015, 9:47 PM
There's a #60 for sale in Manchester CT for $1000 ... that seems to be the going price..........

Yeah, Bill - that passes my "smell test".

Thnx.

Kent

Izzy Camire
04-22-2015, 2:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input for now I think I am going to sit tight. The guy with the PM said if it didn't sell and he was willing to come down he would call so I will wait on him.

glenn bradley
04-22-2015, 3:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input for now I think I am going to sit tight. The guy with the PM said if it didn't sell and he was willing to come down he would call so I will wait on him.

On folks that think their item is worth more than I think it is I help them save face by saying something like "if you get to where you'd take $X for it, I would be interested. Please give me a call." This has worked out for me more than once. The seller probably gets another couple of "no's" and realizes he has a solid offer from someone he's already interacted with and calls me up.

John Lanciani
04-22-2015, 3:07 PM
On folks that think their item is worth more than I think it is I help them save face by saying something like "if you get to where you'd take $X for it, I would be interested. Please give me a call." This has worked out for me more than once. The seller probably gets another couple of "no's" and realizes he has a solid offer from someone he's already interacted with and calls me up.

+1. I use my business card and write the item and my firm offer on the back and hand it to the seller if negotiations stall. This lets the seller know that I'm serious and its easier for them than trying to remember who offered what. It has worked so well for me that it has become my standard MO.

Bill Adamsen
04-22-2015, 3:45 PM
Love my 60B - outfitted with a Terminus quick-change head

Kent ... didn't connect on all you mentioned there. Sounds like a really sweet setup. The Terminus quick change knife head would make the machine much more desirable. Noise aside, the cut is (to me) superior (to a helix) and cost and operational benefits (and knife material options - carbide or hss) provide significant value over any alternative. The ability to install replacement blades quickly and self-indexing is a feature I really couldn't live without. You would sell that machine in a heartbeat for $1200!

Kent A Bathurst
04-22-2015, 3:51 PM
The ability to install replacement blades quickly and self-indexing is a feature I really couldn't live without. You would sell that machine in a heartbeat for $1200!

Mrs Bathurst raised a slow kid, but not a stupid one.

I changed out the OEM knives a few times on my DJ15 predecessor. 6" wasn't it, so I donated that to local HS shop, and bought the PM - had the store install the Terminus before delivery. I was done with that noise - changing blades, and getting them set up properly. As I said - slow maybe, but not stupid.

Myk Rian
04-22-2015, 5:01 PM
Whatcha think about the PM60B? What is the market for one of those in VG+ condition?
$100 to $200. :D

Kent A Bathurst
04-22-2015, 5:24 PM
$100 to $200. :D

Including shipping, right?

Ken Harris
04-23-2015, 7:37 AM
I bought a used dj20 paid 800.00 for it then I installed a grizzly carbide head on it.Keep in mind most machines are made in the same factory painted different colors,some colors cost more than others.I will echo another comment you can get any part you need through grizzly.I would stick with a parallel bed for the jointer.

David Spurr
04-24-2015, 3:10 PM
I bought a used DJ-20 made in the mid 80's. Love it and would buy another older delta if I ever need one.