PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router verse Rotary Engraver

Patrick Cooley
04-21-2015, 1:37 PM
Hello all,
I currently have a Epilog Laser, but looking at expanding my options into Rotary Engraving.
I've done a far amount of research and have come to the conclusions to purchase a CNC Router instead of a Rotary Engraver. Specifically, I'm looking at the Shopbot Desktop(with a Spindle). I would be using it for Braille signage and also using for wood, acrylic, and corian signage.
It seems for the money, I would have a lot more flexibility with the Router. The only downside I see, is I wouldn't have a stock option for inserting Braille dots, but I think I could add a bracket to the CNC to hold the inserter?

Any thoughts from the Sawmill Creek gang if I'm going down the right direction or other things I should consider.

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts.
Pat.

Keith Outten
04-21-2015, 4:13 PM
Assuming your interest is commercial in nature I would purchase a CNC Router but a bit larger machine than the ShopBot desktop model. Larger signs are more profitable and a larger machine will open more doors. A 36" by 48" table is the minimum and if your budget can stand the strain a 4' by 8' table will prove to be more valuable. If you have to start small based on budget considerations its pretty easy to use your first CNC Router to pay for the next one. Don't forget that your router not only makes signs but it can make the sign blanks for your laser engraver among other jobs. My router paid for itself real quick, it took a long time to pay off my first laser engraver.

For sign work and other machining jobs you can't beat owning both a laser engraver and a CNC Router. The two machines compliment each other extremely well.

Don't get hung up on the braille attachment, its very easy and only takes a few seconds to insert braille spheres manually and it only costs about 3 bucks for an insertion tool.

Larry Robinson
04-21-2015, 9:30 PM
I have a Shopbot and can not say a bad thing about them. Their support is second to none. You might want to visit the Shopbot forum with any questions or concerns you may have.

I would have to agree with Keith on bigger is better.

Jerome Stanek
04-22-2015, 6:56 AM
I think I saw where Shopbot is coming out with a larger desktop this summer

brian saban
04-23-2015, 1:43 AM
Although I would love a Shopbot, if your only using it for basic stuff like signage and braille save yourself a ton of money and get a larger work area with there largest size. I just ordered this, you need to assemble it, so you need some basic skills. I here great things and can't wait to try mine (doesn't ship till the 30th :( ). https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve.