PDA

View Full Version : time to screen the porch

roger wiegand
04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Screening in the screen porch in the new house has finally hit the active to-do list. (I keep several-- the active to-do's, the reserve to-do's, and the maybe-if-a-miracle-happens to-do's) It's a small space, about 15x15. The question is whether to use a "system" or do it with staples and battens. I've done it the old fashioned way before, and found it to be a pain to get the screen stretched evenly, and then even more of a pain at screen replacement time.

Do any of you have experience with systems like Screen-eze or Screen Tite (the latter sold at big box stores, the former at lumberyards), and do you recommend them? Screen Tite seems to be an all plastic system, while ScreenEze uses an aluminum channel with a plastic cap to stretch and lock the screen.

Thanks!

Brian Elfert
04-21-2015, 11:35 AM
I've spent literally several weeks of my life over the last few years screening buildings at a Scout camp. If you anticipate not having to replace the screening often then just stapling it to your wood and putting a batten on top is a good way to go. You definitely need two people when installing the screen if you want it to hang right. Aluminum screening will last longer than fiberglass, but fiberglass is usually easier to get it flat and without waves. The important part is to get it as straight as possible at the top. I usually will staple one side down a ways and then switch to the other side for a ways. If you staple one side down all the way you have a better chance of getting waves in the screen.

Randy Red Bemont
04-21-2015, 11:48 AM
I have a huge porch 12' off the ground to screen. Way too much for me to play with so I hired it out to someone to do. He is using a system (not sure of the name at the moment) that uses an aluminum track with some kind of cap to hold the screen. Can't wait to get it done. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

Red

Rich Riddle
04-21-2015, 12:06 PM
Make your life simple and use a system. Most folks who do it with staples have "fluffy" looking screens. It's also good to be able to simply and quickly take out a screen and reattach one when repairs are needed.

Dave Richards
04-21-2015, 12:16 PM
A few years ago we replaced the deck on our house with a screen porch. It's 12' x 20' and it is the best thing we could have done. We use it all the time in the summer. Here's an exterior picture (https://flic.kr/p/adqj1m). And one of the inside (https://flic.kr/p/c3fnAS) before it was totally finished. The screen "system" is basically an aluminum channel screwed to the structure with a t-section strip that goes on over it to secure and stretch the screen. It works quite well although I can see the benefit of removable screens. Some of the trees in our area create a lot of fuzzy stuff in the spring and it sticks to the screens. It would be nice to take the screens out and hose them off in the yard.

John Lanciani
04-21-2015, 1:58 PM
I've been completely happy with the screen-eze system that I installed 5 years ago on my 12'x16' porch. Floor to ceiling screens that are so tight that birds, balls, etc. literally bounce off of the screens; http://www.screeneze.com/index.asp

roger wiegand
04-21-2015, 2:29 PM
Thanks! Sounds like the ScreenEze with the aluminum track may be the way to go. I liked that better than the all plastic option conceptually, nice to hear that people have had good experience with it.

Dave Richards
04-21-2015, 2:40 PM
I think the screeneze system is the one we have.

Neil Gaskin
04-21-2015, 7:00 PM
We have used the Screen Eze system twice. It's not bad to work with.

That said, we probably built a 6-8 screens room a year and the best "system" we have come up with is to just use 1x as screen stop stop and then build or order aluminum screen panels, just like window screens mounted to the stop. This has been both less costly and is easier to fix later when a bird or dog etc. goes through it.

I've never really liked the look of the systems.

If you want to buld the panels yourself, both big box stores sell the parts, if you want to order them there are a few places on line. You can also check out local glass suppliers. Stay away from window company's they seem to always be ovepriced. A typical screen panel cost us between 25 and 35 a piece pending size.

As for your various to do list, I completely get it. But on the upside, you never have to look far for something to do if you're bored!