PDA

View Full Version : what type of screws do you keep in stock?

ken masoumi
04-21-2015, 10:45 AM
what kind of screws do you usually buy ?do you even consider Drywall screws?I must admit,I used to use them a lot( for various projects like quick/crude shop benches,shelves,utility boxes,etc) but after breaking a few in 2x4s I got in the habit of pre drilling pilot holes for them until ran out of all the drywall screws I had in stock,now I am looking for an alternative to drywall screws.

I was at HD and picked up a few small boxes of Construction screws(1.25,1.5",2",3"),they are gold color with "saw tooth threads" Robertson heads,it says on the label: "high performance"!I guess anything will perform better than the drywall screws I had.
I have a good selection of Kreg pocket hole screws ,stainless steel screws,Tapcon screws etc. but for general use,I find them too expensive to use.
What screws do you buy a lot of ? type,length?do you buy them specifically designed for the projects you are working on?like flooring screws ,deck screws, or is there such a thing as a "general purpose" screws?

Randy Red Bemont
04-21-2015, 11:39 AM
McFeely's square drive screws are the only ones I use for woodworking. I don't think I've broke more than two in twenty years. Great stuff and they come in all sizes and lengths.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Red

Joe Jensen
04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
I dumped all the drywall screws and I now have GRK R4 screws in a ton of sizes and lengths. they are Torx head and I have sizes from #4 thats 3/8" long to "12 that's 4" long. Maybe 25 - 30 sizes. Super handy to have what you need. I've never broken a GRK. I also really recommend McFeelys. They sell primarily square drive or Robertson head. I like that the square drive hold on the head of the bit when starting, but they can slip when the bit wears a bit. You can literally drive thousands of screws with one Torx bit. I just did a 2nd floor renovation and drove over 3000 T25 head screws with one bit. It's worn now and I tossed it but wow.

Dave Richards
04-21-2015, 12:37 PM
I've been using Sharx stainless steel screws since I built my first sailboat. I like them and have good results. I usually keep #6, #8 and #12 on hand and buy at least 100 if not 500 when I order.

Bill Adamsen
04-21-2015, 12:45 PM
I've migrated to torx head and generally the GRK. I also have drawer hardware screws in several lengths. The oddball stuff I stock is a broad range of Reed & Prince Frearson Head Bronze wood screws for boats.

Jim Dwight
04-21-2015, 12:48 PM
I like McFeeley's products but I normally don't typically plan ahead enough to have them on-hand. I keep drywall screws in 1.25, 1 5/8, 2, 2.5 and 3 inch lengths on-hand. Ideally I have normal black ones (coarse) and the weather resistant types. But usually I am missing some weather resistant ones - I use them less. Some have special drivers but most are #2 Phillips. I usually drive them with my little Ryobi impact driver and don't have strip out problems. Occasionally I break one but it's rare. I also bought a bunch of pocket screws a couple years ago when Sears had them at a really good price. So I have most sizes and in both coarse and fine threads (I use the fine in face frames of hardwood).

I'm aware that drywall screws are not the greatest for load bearing because they are somewhat brittle. For me, they are normally a clamp. Glue is the long term fastener.

Robert Engel
04-21-2015, 12:50 PM
McFeeley's +1

I'm pretty partial to square drive.

Its best to stick with one type of drive so you're not constantly switching bits.

Not a big fan of Spax screws. They have lousy bit to head adhesion (the fall off the bit even with a magnet).

In a pinch I actually use the standard wood screws from HD (Crown)

Get you a good tapered countersink (Fuller)

Mattias Wandell did a pretty interesting comparison on dry wall screw strength.

ken masoumi
04-21-2015, 2:03 PM
I have seen those GRK screws but for some reason I always walk by them,probably because I would rather stick to what I have tried and used in the past,I have never used these GRK screws but it looks like that's what I'm going to try next.

Bill Huber
04-21-2015, 3:01 PM
McFeely's square drive screws are the only ones I use for woodworking. I don't think I've broke more than two in twenty years. Great stuff and they come in all sizes and lengths.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Red

1+, that is all I use now also..

I have some Stanley boxes and keep a lot of different sizes, when I see I am getting low I just order another box.

Val Kosmider
04-21-2015, 3:27 PM
Started using Highpoint a couple years back. Down to my last few dozen of anything else, and wouldn't consider anything other than the Highpoints now. Strong, drive well, no broken screws, and cost is reasonable. Have an assortment of everything from #6 up through #10 in lengths form 1/2" to three inches. Seems to fit most applications I encounter in general woodworking. (IIRC there are threads on other forums discussing McFeely's and Highpoint--who invented what, etc. I forget the conclusion--both the same manufacturer? But they both seem to work really well.)

ken masoumi
04-21-2015, 3:56 PM
Ordering from mcfeelys.com would not be possible (I'm in Ontario, Canada) but I'm sure I can find the same quality here at a higher price.:eek:

Prashun Patel
04-21-2015, 4:23 PM
In fact, I bought a couple Highpoint screws on clearance from Rockler and I find them to snap easily. I was disgusted that Rockler would sell something like this. I now know why the Highpoints were on clearance. The McFeelys quality has not yet deteriorated similarly.

ken masoumi
04-21-2015, 4:58 PM
Isn't there a comparable quality as mc feely's that I could find at Home Depot?I'm sure neither companies manufacture the screws they sell.how about the construction screws made by H.paulin (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/8x2-1-2-construction-screws/975786)that HD sells, would they be comparable?

Tom M King
04-21-2015, 5:08 PM
The Deckmate star drive screws sold are Home Depot are great for anything the sizes are right for. Those and an impact driver are great for building almost anything. Lowes has a decent selection of GRK screws sold individually. TORX drive is always first choice for me. "star drive" is the same as torx.

Prashun Patel
04-21-2015, 5:13 PM
Boy, I feel like a debbie downer. But the Deckmate star drive screws overdrive so easily it's pathetic. Four or five years ago they had great combo drive ones that were brilliantly weather resistant, tough, and held well. Never had one snap. Then they went to the star drive model. I bought 2 boxes in 1 5/8" and 1 1/4" and virtually ALL of them strip the hole with the slightest bit of over torquing.

Caveat emptor on those.

Oh yeah, and I've had Spax screws snap too.

I've been screwed by many screws, so forgive my bad attitude here.

Joe Jensen
04-21-2015, 7:38 PM
When you go to the GRK website they tell you where to buy at retail. HD and Lowes near me both have a decent selection of sizes. No overlapping sizes and lengths. For example, sometimes I want a 1 3/4" screw but thin. My selection at home gives me that. HD and Lowes would have maybe #10 in that length.

kent borcherding
04-21-2015, 8:09 PM
I use only GRK screws in various sizes and lengths . GRK has a website --www.GRK.com -- also offer free sample packs. you sure will not be disappointed.

glenn bradley
04-21-2015, 8:20 PM
Another Mc Feely's guy here. I can't count how many BORG screws I have snapped, even tightening by hand. My projects and time are worth not having to repair a broken screw problem. I also grab Kreg or other quality names if on sale or clearance. I use 'micro fasteners' for really small stuff and Lee Valley for really small decorative stuff.

Ole Anderson
04-21-2015, 8:39 PM
Kreg square drive is my new drywall like screw.

Bill Adamsen
04-21-2015, 9:04 PM
For some projects, you just can't beat the look, strength and holding power of a traditional "cut thread" wood screw ... like these Reed & Prince "Frearson Head" Silicon Bronze screws.

Just made this deep reach clamp this evening, and have another cut out and ready to assemble. Not sure any other screw would have presented such a handsome appearance.

And the draws where I organize the screws.

Jim Becker
04-21-2015, 9:15 PM
I've been "standardized" on McFeeley's square/Robertson drive screws for many years now. I primarily use #8 for general fasteners at various lengths with 1.25" and 1.5" being the most common and for casework/tacktrunks, I use #7 trim head screws because I use 1/2" thick sheet stock. I buy pocket screws from McFeeley's, too. For the items I use the most, I buy in larger lots and have a handy, wall mounted storage bin system that makes them easy to grab. They are less expensive per unit to buy that way and I know they will get used over time. For sizes that are not used frequently, but I need to have some handy for this and that, I'll buy the smaller 100 count boxes.

I have not bought "dry wall" screws for a very long time outside of for hanging wallboard. They are brittle and not the best choice for woodworking projects, IMHO.

Troy Turner
04-21-2015, 10:18 PM
I've gotten away from the Phillips and flat head screws. I have a lot of square head (same as Kreg) that I got from McFeely's. Especially when they're running a special. If I'm at the hardware store, they have square heads that aren't Kreg branded so they're a little cheaper. Haven't had any trouble with any of them. No predrilling because of the shank design. Also have an assortment of torx head screws that I use for outdoor projects.

Matthew Hills
04-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Spax (#6 in .75-1.25 and #8 in 1.25/2/2.25/2.5 and a few bigger sizes)
and Kreg for pocketholes

None of these are attractive screws.

Matt

Mark Blatter
04-21-2015, 11:49 PM
I have buying most of my screws and fasteners from Wurth Louis & Company for the past 7 - 8 years. Most of the screws are packaged under the Wurth name, but don't know if they actually manufacture them or not. Price wise, pretty reasonable and you can get just about any kind of drive you want.

Brian Hale
04-22-2015, 5:03 AM
I normally stock screws that are too short..... :rolleyes:

Roger Pozzi
04-22-2015, 7:07 AM
Another Mc Feely's guy here. I also grab Kreg or other quality names if on sale or clearance. I also use 'micro fasteners' for really small stuff and Lee Valley for really small decorative stuff.

Plus 1 on McFeely and Lee Valley. May cost a very little more than what the borg offers, but well worth it. I keep #6 & #8 from 5/8" to 2" in stock all the time and only buy different screw as needed for special projects. And, I always drill pilot holes.

ian maybury
04-22-2015, 7:35 AM
:) Another here for whom (despite the best of efforts) the stock answer to the OPs question is 'everything except the one i need'.

Over here in one channel land i'm just happy to get a good quality posidrive screw like Spax locally in the size i need. Going for anything more exotic would just guarantee finding half way through that the size needed for a given job wasn't to be had. We have a lot of hardware places where they seem to have lots of stock, but when you look the more frequently demanded sizes are typically gone and they haven't re-stocked for months or even years...

Steve Rozmiarek
04-22-2015, 8:25 AM
GRK user here, and Spax for the smaller stuff. I didn't see them mentioned yet, but does anyone else use the Kreg screws for other things? They are pretty handy for jigs and lots of other oddball things.

Paul McGaha
04-22-2015, 8:44 AM
I just use course thread, Phillips head drywall screws for most applications. I keep a stock of 1 1 /4" to 3".

If more holding power is needed I'll use Phillips head wood screws, which I don't tend to stock. Not used too often.

PHM

dave nichols
04-22-2015, 8:48 AM
I use McFeely also, mostly #6. I buy boxes of 1000 when I order them.

cody michael
04-22-2015, 9:30 AM
I like the torx (star bit) heads from menards, I got a whole bunch of 5lb boxes a few years ago, I am just now running out because I built a shed. I really like them, corrosion resistant, and don't strip, seems to hold very well.

Brian Holcombe
04-22-2015, 10:18 AM
I keep cabinet screws (big face from McFeely) for wall mountings, high quality brass screws of various lengths and sizes and stainless woodworking screws.

John Sanford
04-22-2015, 1:30 PM
My preference is for square drive. I try to keep an assortment of the McFeely's washer head bronze finish #8 screws on hand, as well as #8 and #6 flatheads from McFeely's. I have picked up and used the GRK screws as well, so far I've been happy with them, I just don't like that it's so hard to tell the smaller Torx drive sizes apart. I have a bunch of slide screws on hand, picked 'em up on sale somewhere or other. For utility work I generally use gold PH screws from the borg, and may still have some drywall screws left over from long ago, although I think I used 'em up when I put down my OSB flooring. For pocket screws I tend to use Kreg. I'll be doing a big order of fasteners soon, likely from McFeelys. Getting low on some. For whatever reason, the bronze finish washer heads are my favorite screw. I loathe, down to the deepest fiber of my being, slotted screws and will only use them when no other option presents itself.

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2015, 1:38 PM
Being Canadian, of course I only buy Robertson screws, except for specialty screws that don't come in that type.

I never use drywall screws for anything except drywall.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Ryall
04-22-2015, 2:07 PM
Still have a ton of drywall screws in stock, but as I use them up I have been moving to the GRK construction screws. Also have and use a ton of the panhead Kreg style screws. Depends on the application.

Mike Heidrick
04-22-2015, 4:18 PM
Kregs in the 5K, 3K, and 2K boxe sizes depending on size. I love the Kreg Hi Lo #7s in 1.25". Ive put over 4K screws (2.5" #8s for 2X material) in the new shed so far and just bought kregs to hang the plywood walls. Zoro.com runs coupons every so often (4/15 taxday 20% off for example) and has free shipping on anything over $150 most days and they are here overnight on most orders (you pay tax immediately in IL on the zoro order). Great place to order Kreg screws. The Sams club industrial wire rack shelf on casters is a great storage bin for big boxes of screws.

Alan Lightstone
04-22-2015, 6:08 PM
I switched over exclusively to Robertson screws from McFeely's. I generally keep about 100 in a variety of lengths in #s 6,8, and 10. Those and some good square impact bits, and you'll be good to go forever.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2015, 2:06 PM
I just bought a box of Kreg pocket screws (1 1/2"). I had never considered this before (prefering the flat head style), but the Kreg's have several advantages for most applications I can think of:

They're economical, have a washer head for better holding power, and are self-tapping. The only downside is that you have to countersink with a forstner bit.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-27-2015, 2:15 PM
Prashun, that long shank also works well to prevent bridging. They are excellent to have in the arsenal for sure. I like to just use the kreg jig bit rather than a forster if you want countersinking.

Stew Hagerty
04-27-2015, 2:18 PM
I use Bolt Depot. They're quite inexpensive compared to McFeely's (I don't care for them at all since they got bought out).
Their service is top notch. You can buy as little as a single screw. Personally I have 5 of their large bins, 3 are their assortments and the other two were empty bins that I filled in with stuff they didn't include in they assortments.
I also have a rack with 4 of their smaller bins where I keep machine screws, brass screws, very small screws, etc.
My only beef with them was their shipping cost for small quantities because they shipped exclusively via UPS. Not that long ago, after I assume they received complaint after complaint, they started offering flat rate small quantity shipping.
Great company, great people, great product.

ken masoumi
04-27-2015, 3:44 PM
I just bought a box of Kreg pocket screws (1 1/2"). I had never considered this before (prefering the flat head style), but the Kreg's have several advantages for most applications I can think of:

They're economical, have a washer head for better holding power, and are self-tapping. The only downside is that you have to countersink with a forstner bit.
And the washer heads don't break off easily.I use the 1.5" and 2.25" often.

Mark W Pugh
04-27-2015, 5:35 PM
If they aren't torx head and exterior, I avoid them. I do different things and I get tired of just not having an environment screw I need. One exception, dry wall screws for dry wall.

Greg Sznajdruk
04-27-2015, 6:57 PM
Isn't there a comparable quality as mc feely's that I could find at Home Depot?I'm sure neither companies manufacture the screws they sell.how about the construction screws made by H.paulin (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/8x2-1-2-construction-screws/975786)that HD sells, would they be comparable?

Ken:

Don't know where you are in Ontario but here is a link to Robertson specifically there distributors. Robertson since 1911.

Greg