PDA

View Full Version : Garage Doors

Rich Riddle
04-21-2015, 5:31 AM
Liking woodworking, I installed an Amish made cedar door about six years ago. It faces South and sits atop a hill with nothing blocking it. The extreme wet weather destroyed the door even though regular maintenance happened. We are pondering garage doors and looking at options including a copper or "rusted" garage door. It's a ranch house. Any suggestions?

Lee Schierer
04-21-2015, 8:45 AM
Several companies offer metal or fiberglass doors that look like wood that are very difficult to tell from the real thing. Take a look at these doors (http://clopaydoor.com/residential-garage-doors).

Rich Riddle
04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Lee,

Thanks for the link. They are much better looking than in the past. Will have to go to a showroom and have a peak.

William Payer
04-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Here is another company Rich.

http://www.garaga.com/garage-doors/residential/eastman-estate/

roger wiegand
04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Our garage door company made us craftsman style doors out of Azek with steel stiffeners on the back side. I think they look pretty good and hope they will last a long time.

Rich Riddle
04-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Our garage door company made us craftsman style doors out of Azek with steel stiffeners on the back side. I think they look pretty good and hope they will last a long time.
That will prove interesting to see in the long run. Azek is fairly flexible to say the least. I don't think they can make it look like metal or copper though.

roger wiegand
04-21-2015, 1:22 PM
No, it makes a nice painted surface though, and doesn't have the dreaded "look of real wood". Tired of replacing rotten wood doors.

Stan Calow
04-21-2015, 7:20 PM
I have metal door from Raynor and very happy with it. A lot better insulated than wood.

Jim Andrew
04-21-2015, 8:37 PM
Steel garage doors last a lifetime, no comparison to wood. Do you have a natural wood siding house?

Rich Riddle
04-21-2015, 8:42 PM
Steel garage doors last a lifetime, no comparison to wood. Do you have a natural wood siding house?

We have a brick veneer sided home. We would just like the look of a rusted metal door or copper door as opposed to painted metal.