PDA

View Full Version : Coopering 1 Liter Barrel Video

Floyd Cox
04-21-2015, 4:27 AM
I just found this video fascinating; on this guy making what looks to be 2-3 liter barrels.​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AairvkF_jHg

David Dalzell
04-21-2015, 5:12 AM
Loved the video. It looks more like about 3 liters. I have a very similar one in my home here in Spain. Mine is 7 liters. They sell them to age cognac. After the new barrel has been aged for about one year with fortified wine (Oloroso, Malaga, or equivalent) the wine is discarded and a medium quality cognac is put in. Let that age for at least one year, and then enjoy some fine aged cognac. As good as anything you can buy. Refill the barrel as needed with medium quality cognac. After about 5 years of this you will have an aged cognac which is far superior to anything you can buy. Ambrosia of the gods.

Bob Glenn
04-21-2015, 9:55 AM
I'm going to guess OSHA has never visited this shop. ;D

Bill White
04-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Very interesting. I'd never understood quite how the heads were installed.
Bill

Christian Thompson
04-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Really neat video. Thanks for posting.

george wilson
04-21-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure what he was doing,trying to pull the remaining cask head up into place using that tool,which OBVIOUSLY went around the side of the head! Made more sense when he just inverted the cask,and let the head fall into place.

The coopers I have watched in the museum,used a tapered screw with a handle to get hold of the head,and pull it into place. It just screwed into the head,and did not go around the outside of the head,where it would have been in the way of seating the head.

Pat Barry
04-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Fun to watch someone who knows what he is doing! Thanks

Bruce Page
04-21-2015, 1:49 PM
His hand & eye coordination driving the hammer was impressive. Anyone notice his fingertips when he was setting the rivets in the hoops? :eek:

Floyd Cox
04-22-2015, 2:42 AM
His hand & eye coordination driving the hammer was impressive. Anyone notice his fingertips when he was setting the rivets in the hoops? :eek:

Yes I was looking at the same thing, guessing it happened before his coordination as good.