PDA

View Full Version : Violin/Viola Stand

Rob Duke
04-20-2015, 3:39 PM
The music teacher at my kid's school asked the Dad's Club if we could buy her a violin/viola stand. This is the link that she sent: http://bandstorage.com/shop/violin-case-rack/

I'm thinking that I can make one much less. The Dad's Club would pay me for materials and I get a project to work on. It's a win-win. Now I'm looking for plans. Does anyone know where I can find some? I don't even have a violin/viola case to design around.

eugene thomas
04-20-2015, 4:22 PM
Seems that your link had the size?

Edward Oleen
04-23-2015, 1:25 AM
HUH??? Ask the teacher to see some cases so you can measure them... That's what I would do. The next question is how many instruments she anticipates ever needing to store.

Given the picture in the link she gave you, two levels seems to be rather few: the cases on edge don't appear to need that much height. I'd go to three levels, maybe four.

At any rate this should be a rather easy project to do: I'd use Baltic birch for the sides, and maybe the same for the shelves.

Place the shelves at a 30* angle, or something like that. Plan to hold viola cases - violas are bigger than violins. I'd allow a couple of inches between each pair of cases to ease putting them in. I wouldn't bother trying to set dividers to separate them, or otherwise pre-allocating the space.

Any questions?

Jesse Busenitz
04-23-2015, 8:24 AM
That looks like a cool project! Can't help you with plans/size but keep us posted on the project.

Jesse an avid musician.

Peter Quinn
04-23-2015, 10:18 AM
You could overlay that photo in sketch up and use it to build a quick scaled model if you know the length of some part of the object. I'd request a loaner case for the design process. Lay it out full size on plywood or cardboard. To me the layout/ design will be some of the best fun in that project. I'm thinking the plan comes from YOU!