PDA

View Full Version : How to choose a Grizzly bandsaw

Bo Chen
04-20-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm looking for my first 14" bandsaw for a while and I found Grizzly G0555 has a good reputation and within my budget (around $600).

I'm confused when I read their comparison chart at the end of webpage, for example, http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX

There are 4 models, G0555LANV, G0555LX, G0555(Ultimate), G0555P. The differences among those, for me, are whether they have a cast iron or cast aluminum wheels, shipping package is 1 or 2 boxes, due to different base, I assume.

I have no preference in colors, but I'm a kind of confused with those models. Can anyone help?

Any suggestion or other brand recommandation or user experiences are welcomed. Thx!

Nick Stokes
04-20-2015, 1:30 PM
I'm looking for my first 14" bandsaw for a while and I found Grizzly G0555 has a good reputation and within my budget (around $600).

I'm confused when I read their comparison chart at the end of webpage, for example, http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX

There are 4 models, G0555LANV, G0555LX, G0555(Ultimate), G0555P. The differences among those, for me, are whether they have a cast iron or cast aluminum wheels, shipping package is 1 or 2 boxes, due to different base, I assume.

I have no preference in colors, but I'm a kind of confused with those models. Can anyone help?

Any suggestion or other brand recommandation or user experiences are welcomed. Thx!

I did tons of research on it. And for the price, in my opinion the 0555LANV wins out as the best 14" grizzly saw. The cast iron wheels are what set it apart.

But I should mention, when I got it, I immediately wished that I had gone for the bigger 17" that was $824. $300 buys you a LOT more saw.

Bo Chen
04-20-2015, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.
One more question, what's the difference between 0555LANV and 0555LX? color difference? Both of them have cast iron wheels. That's how I get confused. :o

Nick Stokes
04-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Color is the difference.

Bill White
04-21-2015, 11:25 AM
I bought the LX version right when it was introduced. It has proven to be a great saw and value for my needs. Just don't try to overwhelm the saw with blades that are too big for the frame. 1/2" blades are as big as I use, and will do most everything you throw at them.
I would buy it again. The cast iron wheel DO make a difference.
Bill

Daniel O'Neill
04-21-2015, 12:38 PM
What do the cast iron wheels do that make them better? Seems like they would just be heavier. Must admit I've looked a the Grizzly website with similar feelings

Bo Chen
04-21-2015, 2:27 PM
Thank you, Bill. Just curious why cast iron make such a difference? I googled bandsaw wheels cast iron vs cast aluminum, it looks like different people have different oppinion about it. That makes me really confused too.

Terry Haynes
04-22-2015, 9:51 PM
I have the GO555LANV and it's a very good band saw. As far as cast iron vs aluminum vs steel wheels, I have used all of them and really find little if any difference. I prefer cast iron or steel wheel, just old school. In big band saws that I have used they all had steel wheels. If band saw is tuned correctly, maintained and kept that way you are good to go.

Bo Chen
04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
I have the GO555LANV and it's a very good band saw. As far as cast iron vs aluminum vs steel wheels, I have used all of them and really find little if any difference. I prefer cast iron or steel wheel, just old school. In big band saws that I have used they all had steel wheels. If band saw is tuned correctly, maintained and kept that way you are good to go.

Sounds good, thanks!