PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Memorial Flag Display Case

Jack Wood
08-07-2005, 4:11 PM
I need to find plans for a Display case for a Veterans burial flag. If you know of somewhere to buy plans or where you can get them for free I would appreciate the help, thanks.

Chris Rosenberger
08-07-2005, 5:14 PM
Rockler has one in there small project plans section.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=11242

Dave Bonde
08-07-2005, 5:18 PM
I don't have any plans but I will include a picture of one I made. I take the flag after if is folded and make the case fit the flag. I cut the top with 45 degree miters and then add two splines. I cut 2 1/8" dados one for the glass and one for the back before I glue the miter together slide the glass in then the flag and finally the back. The base is then added with one screw up through the base and into the bottom of the case. The bottom display part could be left off if you wanted. I know this isn't a plan but might might help you out. Dave

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-07-2005, 5:34 PM
I'm glad somebody else builds the case around the actual flag. I've been suggesting that for several years on several forums and the normal reaction is people ignore me. Of course, they may ignore me ALL the time! Anyhoo...I just think it looks horrible when a flag is flopping around inside a 'standard' sized box. And while I'm at it, if you don't ABSOLUTELY know what you're doing, look up a current or former Honor Guard member to help fold the flag so the stars are 'right'.

KC

Dave Bonde
08-07-2005, 6:47 PM
Your right Kirk, I have made quite a few flag display cases and I don’t think two of them were the same size. Interesting you mention the proper folding of the flag. I always tell people to have the flag folded the way they want it displayed. The one in the picture was folded three times by the unit at my grandfathers ceremony. The flag was folded twice in front of us, presented to my grandmother and the officer in charged asked for the flag back and made the unit fold it a third time after the ceremony you can see the results.

Earl Reid
08-07-2005, 7:12 PM
I have made many flag boxes and have always made the case to fit a refolded flag. I always ask how they want the flag to appear in the case.
Earl :)

Jack Wood
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. I didn't know that the flag could be of different sizes, seems like the military would have that standardized. SO making the case fit the flag sounds like the way to go. I have a freind who will cut the glass for me so that won't be a factor. It will be a full military honors service so there will be an honor guard from the nearby Army arsenal so I'm assuming that they will be able to properly fold the flag. This is for my Fathers burial flag so I want to get it right.

Bob Hovde
08-08-2005, 1:15 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. I didn't know that the flag could be of different sizes, seems like the military would have that standardized. SO making the case fit the flag sounds like the way to go. I have a freind who will cut the glass for me so that won't be a factor. It will be a full military honors service so there will be an honor guard from the nearby Army arsenal so I'm assuming that they will be able to properly fold the flag. This is for my Fathers burial flag so I want to get it right.

Jack,

I have a flag in a case you can look at. I live in downtown Huntsville. I'll PM you.

Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
08-08-2005, 2:04 PM
Jack good luck with your project! I am sure your father will be proud that you took the time to make a display, for his flag.

Jack Wood
08-08-2005, 2:33 PM
Bob I have emailed you back and I would like to take you up on the offer. Thanks Jeff, it is really a tough thing to think about but I know my Father would like that I am making this for my Mother. Thanks everyone!

Peter Gavin
08-08-2005, 3:15 PM
Jack,

I am assuming that condolences are also in order. You are lucky that you are able to do something so personable that will help others remember you Father for a long time. I hope it helps you (and other loved ones) get through a diffficult time.

Peter Gavin

Lee Schierer
08-08-2005, 4:04 PM
I've made several flag cases which have all been similar. I always worked with the folded flag to be sure the flag fit. Also, even though the flag may be folded at the cemetery by an honor guard, you can do a much better job on your dining room table. The goal is to end up with a one star over three star pattern in the display window. Any more than that is not really correct. I've also found that flags no matter how carefully folded don't cooperate very well, so it will look best if you make a triangle of foam core poster material the same size as the opeing in the flag display case. Carefully unfold the flag and arrange the four stars over the triangle and pin the flag into the edges of the foam board insuring the flag is wrinkle free and the stars are spaced evenly. Then refold the remaining flag so it fits behind this panel you have created. When you push the flag into the display from the back of the case the triangle goes in first with the rest of the flag behind. What will be seen will be a perfect flag.

Since no one is likely to ever open the case, your "trick" won't be discovered and the flag will look great for years.

Lee

Jack Wood
08-08-2005, 5:03 PM
Lee, thanks for the info. I have seen several different configurations on the star pattern. 2 over 3, 2 over 4, 1 over 3, and a whole lot of stars, so why all the different looks? Is there a VFW or other organization that has an accepted standard? Thanks for your kind words Peter.

Don Baer
08-08-2005, 5:09 PM
Jack I have seen several differant ways of displaying the stars also. I do know that the flag is correctly folded when 13 and only 13 stars apear on the outside of the folded flag. Also no red and no white except for the 13 stars should apear.