PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving?

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I know there are laws against, but I see more texting while driving than ever before. It seems like if I am next to another car on a two-lane road, that there is about a one in ten chance that the other driving is texting. Under thirty-YO people, mostly.

It has altered the way I drive. I drive far more defensively than I used to. In the "olden days" I didn't like bumper to bumper traffic, but tolerated it. Now days I'll avoid bumper to bumper at all costs, trying to find a spot where someone is several seconds behind me and I've got a nice cushion in front.

But driving to/from Madison from Milwaukee, it sometimes seems like everyone is texting.

Scott Shepherd
04-20-2015, 11:41 AM
The one that drives me a little bonkers is people checking emailing or texting while sitting at stop lights. The light changes, they just sit there because they aren't looking up.

PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE.

I'm baffled by what's SOOOO important in these people's lives that they can't go minutes without checking messages.

Prashun Patel
04-20-2015, 11:41 AM
one in ten? I say one in five. I see it ALL THE TIME.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Phil,

Long before I retired, my former employer provided us with cell phones. Myself and another guy covered an area about 130 miles by 130 miles. A lot of the area is mountainous, so coverage lacked but still they provided us a way to communicate so we could give better service to our customers. After about 8 months, I realized that if I answered the phone and talked while driving, the distraction effected my driving. One day I told my coworker, that if I didn't immediately answer his calls and called back a few minutes later, I was looking for a place to pull off the road. I didn't feel safe driving and talking on the cell phone. He said he'd come to the same conclusion. About a year later, the giant corporation came down with an edict. "If you could not answer or make a call 'hands free' while driving, you were to pull off the road.

My new SUV has blue-tooth and I do occasionally talk "hands free" while on the road but I try to keep the conversations short.

Texting while driving is even more dangerous. The people doing it will have to learn for themselves.

Pat Barry
04-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Eating your McDonalds hamburger and trying to dip your fries into the ketchup that you dispensed onto the box or burger wrapper is equally dangerous, as is trying to read a map, use the gps, putting on mascara / checking your makeup, shaving, scolding your kids in the back seat, searching for a radio station, blah, blah, blah. Welcome to the 21st century.

David Falkner
04-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Like the sign on a church said, 'Honk if you love Jesus... text if you want to meet Him'

Steve Peterson
04-20-2015, 11:58 AM
This is one of the dangers of modern technology. My hope is that this is a temporary bad period that will no longer matter when self-driving cars are common. Or at least "crash proof" cars that don't let teenagers do anything stupid while texting and driving.

Steve

Erik Loza
04-20-2015, 12:12 PM
They just enacted the no texting law here in ATX this year and apparently have done some big enforcement weekends recently. Agree with all the above: Very dangerous. Been almost run off the road several times by hipsters or clueless SUV wives, driving while texting. I don't answer my phone at all while driving. It can wait.

Erik

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Phil,

Long before I retired, my former employer provided us with cell phones. Myself and another guy covered an area about 130 miles by 130 miles. A lot of the area is mountainous, so coverage lacked but still they provided us a way to communicate so we could give better service to our customers. After about 8 months, I realized that if I answered the phone and talked while driving, the distraction effected my driving. One day I told my coworker, that if I didn't immediately answer his calls and called back a few minutes later, I was looking for a place to pull off the road. I didn't feel safe driving and talking on the cell phone. He said he'd come to the same conclusion. About a year later, the giant corporation came down with an edict. "If you could not answer or make a call 'hands free' while driving, you were to pull off the road.

My new SUV has blue-tooth and I do occasionally talk "hands free" while on the road but I try to keep the conversations short.

Texting while driving is even more dangerous. The people doing it will have to learn for themselves.

I drive a ton for work, too. Our jobs aren't actually very different, I just work on servers and other IT stuff. And I won't talk on the phone. I might answer a call and say "I'll call back." But I have people that try to keep me on the phone and I'll just hang right up on them. Not worth it. I won't talk hands-free either. All my concentration is on the road, watching for the texters. I'm totally serious about that.

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 12:17 PM
one in ten? I say one in five. I see it ALL THE TIME.

I didn't want to be accused for exaggerating but Mke to Madison, yeah it is that bad. Especially on a Sunday evening when kids are returning the school. Just ugly.

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Eating your McDonalds hamburger and trying to dip your fries into the ketchup that you dispensed onto the box or burger wrapper is equally dangerous, as is trying to read a map, use the gps, putting on mascara / checking your makeup, shaving, scolding your kids in the back seat, searching for a radio station, blah, blah, blah. Welcome to the 21st century.

While I agree, people scarf the burger in ten minutes. But they will text for an hour. The danger (with texting) never goes away.

Belinda Barfield
04-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I had a couple of conversations on Saturday about the modern conveniences that make for hazardous driving. The neighborhood where I live has an annual community garage sale and Saturday was the day. Things I've not seen offered at a garage sale before were present this year. A truck, two motorcycles, a motor home, and (hopefully) a vintage Vette that the owner wasn't aware he wanted to sell until I asked. :D Both couples who were trying to sell a motorcycle, really nice bikes, stated they just don't feel safe riding any longer. They had been riding for years but noticed over the past couple of years a lot more "near misses" and lack of driver awareness and sharing the road.

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Both couples who were trying to sell a motorcycle, really nice bikes, stated they just don't feel safe riding any longer. They had been riding for years but noticed over the past couple of years a lot more "near misses" and lack of driver awareness and sharing the road.

Well Belinda, two reasons for that

- more traffic, more distracted drivers

- couples are getting older and their riding skills are declining. I hate to admit it, however after riding for 40 years and having been a riding instructor, my skills are declining. Refresher courses help, I also changed to a model with ABS and traction control, I need all the help I can get.

regards, Rod.

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Well Belinda, two reasons for that

- more traffic, more distracted drivers

- couples are getting older and their riding skills are declining. I hate to admit it, however after riding for 40 years and having been a riding instructor, my skills are declining. Refresher courses help, I also changed to a model with ABS and traction control, I need all the help I can get.

regards, Rod.

Yep, I used to ride. Have thought of getting another bike. Not in this environment.

And yeah I'm getting older, too.

Chuck Wintle
04-20-2015, 12:38 PM
The one that drives me a little bonkers is people checking emailing or texting while sitting at stop lights. The light changes, they just sit there because they aren't looking up.

I'm baffled by what's SOOOO important in these people's lives that they can't go minutes without checking messages.
I agree 100%, put the phone down and drive. Its an epidemic of distracted drivers.

Chuck Wintle
04-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Like the sign on a church said, 'Honk if you love Jesus... text if you want to meet Him'

thats good!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm in my mid- 60s and frankly, I can tell my driving skills aren't what they used to be......

and yet....the most dangerous place and time to drive in this town is in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store in the mid-mornings.....and it's the older folks that make it dangerous.

Tim Boger
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM
It's all about enforcement ... or lack of as is the case now. It will be almost impossible to enforce as an LEO has to actually see it taking place. I don't think it will be long before the auto makers or the cell phone makers create some means of regulating texting or manual phone handling while the motor is running.

I ride a motorcycle when ever the weather allows and it is a dangerously distracted world out there.

I know there are laws against, but I see more texting while driving than ever before. It seems like if I am next to another car on a two-lane road, that there is about a one in ten chance that the other driving is texting. Under thirty-YO people, mostly.

It has altered the way I drive. I drive far more defensively than I used to. In the "olden days" I didn't like bumper to bumper traffic, but tolerated it. Now days I'll avoid bumper to bumper at all costs, trying to find a spot where someone is several seconds behind me and I've got a nice cushion in front.

But driving to/from Madison from Milwaukee, it sometimes seems like everyone is texting.

Larry Browning
04-20-2015, 1:25 PM

This is just annoying and discourteous. But it is much better than doing it while the vehicle is in motion. At least it won't kill you.

Erik Loza
04-20-2015, 1:31 PM
I actually was driving parallel with a hipster due who was alternately texting, then taking hits from an e-bong while driving the boulevard in front of our house. Just when you think you've seen it all.

Erik

Scott Shepherd
04-20-2015, 1:34 PM
This is just annoying and discourteous. But it is much better than doing it while the vehicle is in motion. At least it won't kill you.

It might, road rage is alive and kicking these days.

Prashun Patel
04-20-2015, 1:45 PM
The bigger issue is that human driving should become obsolete. It's the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis.

We should all be driving Googlecars and texting to our emogee hearts' desire.

Larry Browning
04-20-2015, 1:55 PM
I just returned from a 2 week business trip where I was most of the time a passenger in cars where co-workers were driving. After a ride with this one particular unnamed driver, I refused to ride with them again due to texting, dialing and talking on the cell phone. I offered to take possession of said cell phone or to be the driver, but both offers were refused, so I chose to ride with someone else!

Jerry Thompson
04-20-2015, 2:57 PM
Years ago I spilled hot coffee in my lap while driving. Now that is distracting.

Mike Wilkins
04-20-2015, 3:01 PM
I once commented that if auto manufacturers added a feature to their vehicles that if the vehicle sensed a driver texting while the vehicle is in motion, the transmission would fall out.
My wife gave me a sideways look that said you are crazy.
My one and only auto accident was me getting rear-ended while the teen driver was texting.

Pat Barry
04-20-2015, 3:21 PM
I once commented that if auto manufacturers added a feature to their vehicles that if the vehicle sensed a driver texting while the vehicle is in motion, the transmission would fall out.
Now that would create some real driving challenges. I think I'd be happier if they gave the texter a gentle electric shock so I didn't need to contend with transmissions all over the place.

Michael Weber
04-20-2015, 3:26 PM
Not much to add to the above. I ride an old Honda valkyrie and I've added a modulating headlight and brake lights that flash rapidly when the brake is applied but still scary out there. I may just start honking (installed a very loud horn) whenever I begin to stop just so the cagers will look up.

Scott Shepherd
04-20-2015, 3:28 PM
Now that would create some real driving challenges.

No challenges, it already exists in the aftermarket world...

https://www.cellcontrol.com

Rich Riddle
04-20-2015, 4:29 PM
Doesn't Ford let you text and drive via their integrated program where you simply say what you want to say into a microphone and it transcribes it and sends it to the correct recipient?

Bert Kemp
04-20-2015, 4:44 PM
Tim your in SC weather allows you to ride 365 days a year:D

It's all about enforcement ... or lack of as is the case now. It will be almost impossible to enforce as an LEO has to actually see it taking place. I don't think it will be long before the auto makers or the cell phone makers create some means of regulating texting or manual phone handling while the motor is running.

I ride a motorcycle when ever the weather allows and it is a dangerously distracted world out there.

Bert Kemp
04-20-2015, 4:55 PM
I ride my motorcycle 95% of the time 15 to 20 K a year vs my truck which get about 3 to 6 , I'm always watching my rear view , always looking to see I have an out, I try to keep at least 100 ft from the car in front but cars always pass me then cut in and take my cushion. Sometimes I just gun it and get away from everybody, and I always ride the HOV on the interstate. I have an air horn on my bike and when I see people texting which is often they get a blast on the horn. Yes I'm older too and I know my skills are diminishing so I try to be extra careful and extra aware . Hey everybody ride safe out there and put the dam phones away.

Brian Henderson
04-20-2015, 5:11 PM

For those that really piss me off, I'll take a picture (or whoever is the passenger will) of them texting, then a picture of their license and e-mail it to the local Highway Patrol. I don't know if it does anything but at least I feel better about it.

Kent A Bathurst
04-20-2015, 5:16 PM
I think the penalties for texting should be exactly the same as those for drunk driving - - those two groups of idiots have the same skill set behind the wheel, so they get the same hammer.

David Falkner
04-20-2015, 5:26 PM
Doesn't Ford let you text and drive via their integrated program where you simply say what you want to say into a microphone and it transcribes it and sends it to the correct recipient?

My new Tacoma does that, too. Also reads text/email to you if you want. I turned all that stuff off, though. Ya' just never know what text is going to come through when you have a passenger riding with you! :D

Pat Barry
04-20-2015, 5:32 PM
For those that really piss me off, I'll take a picture (or whoever is the passenger will) of them texting, then a picture of their license and e-mail it to the local Highway Patrol. I don't know if it does anything but at least I feel better about it.
I think that taking the picture is putting yourself in an equally compromising and dangerous driver situation, not to mention the road rage you are likely to be inciting. You just might become a victim with an approach like that

Mike Cutler
04-20-2015, 5:35 PM
I think the penalties for texting should be exactly the same as those for drunk driving - - those two groups of idiots have the same skill set behind the wheel, so they get the same hammer.

So do I, and I've heard that some states are considering making the penalties just as stiff as a DUI and reckless driving. I have old riding buddies that are in law enforcement, and according to them the number of single vehicle accidents is really incredible.
The sad part about it is that virtually every maker of cellphones, and most new cars, can be paired so that there isn't a reason to have to manually type. Of course some of the "auto corrects" are hysterical.

I'm guilty of using the map app on mine to check for traffic jams, but I keep it rolling on the center console. Doesn't make it right though. I don't think I've ever tried to text with the car moving. I don't even like using the phone, and it's hands free.

Gary Yoder
04-20-2015, 5:47 PM
I think I could text safer than take pictures.... both are dangerous!

Brian Henderson
04-20-2015, 5:56 PM
I think that taking the picture is putting yourself in an equally compromising and dangerous driver situation, not to mention the road rage you are likely to be inciting. You just might become a victim with an approach like that

It's only done while stopped, at a stop sign or a light.

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 6:13 PM
Sometimes I just gun it and get away from everybody, and I always ride the HOV on the interstate.

I got a ticket for that.

Two lanes. Right lane was bumper to bumper. I was in the left lane. SUV behind me wanted to pass. There was room about four car lengths up front in the right-hand lane, but a long line behind me on the right, absolutely no room.

So I punched it, trooper lasered me right there. Funny thing is, the SUV had nowhere to go, I got to the "front" of the right hand lane and it had to pass me and get in front of me, to make room for the trooper.

The trooper asked why I was exceeding the speed limit, and I said it was the safest play for everyone around. She said that I should have slowed down and entered the right lane to allow the SUV to pass. She went to her car to generate a ticket and when she returned she started her lecture again and I (politely) interrupted and explained her advice was akin to Russian Roulette, that I'd rather be alive to pay the ticket.

My friend said it is all about the money for the troopers, that texting tickets are apparently only a fraction of the value of speeding tickets. So they don't bother enforcing texting laws, that the speeding laws are far more lucrative.

But my problem with her advice was I think it is fundamentally unsafe. Fifteen years ago, sure. These days? No way.

Phil Thien
04-20-2015, 6:40 PM
I think I could text safer than take pictures.... both are dangerous!

It is all degrees of distracted driving.

Probably why I like being a passenger on occasion. I get to look around and enjoy the scenery. If there is a neat old structure or a store I've never seen before, I can train my eyes on it.

Can't do that while driving.

Stan Calow
04-20-2015, 7:35 PM
Statistics show that hands-free is no safer than typing. Its the distracted thinking, not just looking down. If you're about to say, "what about talking to a passenger?", the passenger helps you see the road.

Tim Boger
04-20-2015, 7:46 PM
For the most part ... you are correct sir.

However, occasional afternoon gully washers are no fun to ride through.

Tim

Tim your in SC weather allows you to ride 365 days a year:D

Gary Yoder
04-20-2015, 8:02 PM
If you're about to say, "what about talking to a passenger?", the passenger helps you see the road.

Yea, I don't know how many times my wife has helped me by gasping when I'm distracted....:)

Mike Berrevoets
04-20-2015, 8:52 PM
I occasionally follow a person in to work with a "don't text while driving" bumper sticker and she has her rear view mirror turned so she can put on her mascara. Every time I see her she is putting on makeup. Every single time. Get out of bed 5 minutes earlier. I'd be afraid of putting something that close to my eye if I was sitting still, let alone doing it in a moving car.

Kent A Bathurst
04-20-2015, 9:03 PM
So do I...............the number of single vehicle accidents is really incredible.

Mike - Hey - been a while. You doin OK, I assume?

Anyway - on the single-vehicle accidents..........If I could be assured that entire class of morons would only take out inanimate objects [trees, for example] at high velocities, then I would applaud - Darwinism at work. Cull the gene pool.

Brian Elfert
04-20-2015, 9:25 PM
I rarely send or receive text messages, but I absolutely would never send or read them while driving. It is against state law for one thing. When I was buying a house my realtor would sometimes send a text while he was on his way to say he was late. I mentioned it being against state law and he said he sent it while stopped at a light. It is still illegal to send texts even if stopped at a light.

Jim Matthews
04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
It's the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis.

+1 on this observation. The physics of MVAs are unknown to most of us.
I've seen one too many, after the ambulance evacuates the survivors.

Kids are clueless about this sort of thing, and don't believe admonitions from family.
A trip to the morgue, or graphic video of the aftermath are the only things that work.

The truth is that the margin of error is very wide, and modern cars are safer than ever.
The problem is that above 35 mph, that margin shrinks - fast.

Bruce Page
04-20-2015, 11:24 PM
I have an iPhone. That said, future generations will rue the day that the smart phone was invented.

Larry Browning
04-21-2015, 8:58 AM
Statistics show that hands-free is no safer than typing. Its the distracted thinking, not just looking down.
I'd like to see that statistic. It is very difficult for me to accept that talking hands-free is "no safer" than typing on the cell phone. I'm not saying that talking hand-free on the cell phone is a good and safe practice, but it has to be "safer" than typing or reading a text.

Stan Calow
04-21-2015, 7:18 PM
Larry I know its counter-intuitive. Google up "hands-free-texting-is-no-safer-to-use-while-driving" and you should find an article in Scientific American. Lots of research on hands-free talking versus talking into phone.

Steve Baumgartner
04-22-2015, 8:08 AM
Larry I know its counter-intuitive. Google up "hands-free-texting-is-no-safer-to-use-while-driving" and you should find an article in Scientific American. Lots of research on hands-free talking versus talking into phone.

I have no statistics, only personal experience: I only talk on the phone while a passenger, but several times I have noticed when I end a call that I really don't remember clearly what happened on the road while I was on the call. My mind was elsewhere...

Larry Browning
04-22-2015, 11:38 AM

I believe the quote was "hands-free is no safer than typing". Not hands-free talking vs talking into the phone. That I can believe. But there is just no way talking hand-free is just as dangerous as typing a text, or reading one for that matter. That is what I am questioning.

Please do not mis-understand me. I, in no way, think that using a cell phone while driving is a safe practice, hands-free or not. But to say that talking hands free caries the exact same level of danger as texting, reduces the creditability of any other statement on the subject. Talking hands-free on a cell phone while driving is dangerous, but texting while driving is WAY more dangerous.

Larry Browning
04-22-2015, 11:57 AM
I have no statistics, only personal experience: I only talk on the phone while a passenger, but several times I have noticed when I end a call that I really don't remember clearly what happened on the road while I was on the call. My mind was elsewhere...
Could that be mainly due to the fact that you weren't driving and didn't need to be focused on what happened on the road?

Ole Anderson
04-22-2015, 12:08 PM
As to eating, I do it all the time as do most of you. Not a problem until something goes wrong. Texting? Absolutely not, I've tried.

A real problem is trying to find the buttons to run all the things your car can do now using all the tiny symbols on the dash that requires you to look down.

Jim Dwight
04-22-2015, 12:32 PM
A couple thoughts. First I will admit to having typed short emails while in cruise on the interstate. I don't do it often and may never do it again but I have.

What I learned, fortunately not the hard way, is that looking at the device to type takes your eyes away from the road a lot more than is required read email. Talking into a hands free phone does not take your eyes off the other than to answer the phone. The consequence is I wander out of my lane if I try to type. So I stopped doing it.

Even talking hands free is distracting. But so is listening to music, talking to a passenger, and messing with the controls of the car. If I am cruising on a relatively wide open interstate I think I am safe talking hands free. But I've pulled over to talk before in heavy traffic when I got a call I needed to take. I've also witnessed lots of other drivers that need to pull over, they are struggling to stay in lane and adjust to conditions around them. Some judgement is required. Unfortunately the people most likely to text are also relatively inexperienced drivers (I've been driving over 40 years) which makes having good judgment less likely.

Moses Yoder
04-22-2015, 6:14 PM
Right now my mother is dying of lung cancer (she is on Hospice care with a life expectancy of months) so if I get a call while driving I look at the phone to see who is calling. If I am on a county road I will talk on the phone, busy roads I find a spot to pull over. I used to work with a guy who texted constantly while driving and he drove for the job frequently. He just thought he was better than the statistics. Another guy, a salesman, would eat a sandwich with one hand and talk on the phone with the other while steering with his knees.

Pat Barry
04-22-2015, 6:26 PM
I don't think its so bad to take a call while driving. If you have to pull over to take the call then so be it, but if talking on the phone is so complicated and dangerous, why is it worse than talking with your passengers? Talking to someone else in the car I bet you even frequently turn to look at them. Now punching in a number to call someone is a whole nother story. Maybe you can speeddial a frequently called number (spouse)

Phil Thien
04-22-2015, 6:37 PM
I don't think its so bad to take a call while driving. If you have to pull over to take the call then so be it, but if talking on the phone is so complicated and dangerous, why is it worse than talking with your passengers? Talking to someone else in the car I bet you even frequently turn to look at them. Now punching in a number to call someone is a whole nother story. Maybe you can speeddial a frequently called number (spouse)

There are a few differences. The person in the car can see what is going on. If all of a sudden you're slamming on the brakes, the passenger will (typically) stop talking because they can see the proverbial you know what is hitting the you fan. A person on the phone will likely just drone on and one about whatever they may be talking about.

Also, a person inside the car can say "hey watch out for that car!"

I do think there is a difference between hands-free and cradling the phone, I think hands-free is safer. Just not as safe as concentrating on the road.

Ole Anderson
04-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Is there a safety difference between talking on the phone hands-free and talking to a passenger?

Curt Harms
04-23-2015, 8:39 AM
It likely matters what the topic of conversation is, whether with a passenger or on a hands-free phone. It's one thing to listen to someone prattle on where little thought is required except to grunt or say "is that right?" to seem as if you're paying attention. it's another to be in a conversation that requires concentration such as a business negotiation.

Jerome Stanek
04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
When I am on the phone even hands free I tend to be more distracted than when I am talking to some ome in the truck. I try not to use my phone while driving

Mark Patoka
04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
I believe some states want to allow the troopers to check your phone when they pull you over so they can see if you were texting at that moment. Otherwise enforcement can be a real challenge, though if I'm a passenger, I look over and see quite a few drivers doing the eyes up/down thing and you know they are reading texts or email. I only use my map app for traffic while driving and I hate it because I don't like to glance down, scroll the map, etc while driving.

Erik Loza
04-23-2015, 11:48 AM
We both use our phones for Google Maps while driving but have a bracket in the Mini Cooper that puts the phone at eye levels, akin to a garmin or whatever. If a call comes though, it goes over bluetooth and we can speak to the caller that way but I ignore texts until stopped driving. As others have said, there is (to me, anyhow) a whole different level of distraction between watching a nav map or talking hands-free and texting.

Erik

Phil Thien
04-23-2015, 12:12 PM
We both use our phones for Google Maps while driving but have a bracket in the Mini Cooper that puts the phone at eye levels, akin to a garmin or whatever. If a call comes though, it goes over bluetooth and we can speak to the caller that way but I ignore texts until stopped driving. As others have said, there is (to me, anyhow) a whole different level of distraction between watching a nav map or talking hands-free and texting.

Erik

Yes I agree 100%. There was recently a case in Wisconsin I think where they gave a guy a ticket for having the nav in the window. I just question whether the guy writing the ticket has ever used nav systems. In the window is a great place. I set mine down lower and use the audio (I'm doing it with an iPhone).

But I'm turning into an absolutist on this, I want something done about texters before they harass any one else.

Mike Ontko
04-23-2015, 3:00 PM
I have a Bluetooth earpiece that I use if I'm expecting to be receiving or making calls while driving--or even when working in my shop (I hate to drop what I'm doing just to yammer on the phone). Texting in the car while moving is out of the question, and if I feel I need to send or check messages while sitting at a light, then I make sure that I'm aware of the traffic situation and dump my phone if the light changes while I'm in mid-message...or if I happen to spot a black-and-white within eye's range :rolleyes:

I'd wager that distracted driving has been an issue since the automobile was introduced. We're not singularly focused creatures by nature. And I doubt that it'll be easy to break people of their need/want to use electronic devices (GPS or even the radio included) when behind the wheel. Technology may catch up though, and offer helpful solutions like better speech recognition software (like Dragon) or autonomous driving (like the cars in the Will Smith movie I Robot). Who knows, with enough time the U.S. may actually be able to improve its railways and public/mass transit infrastructure to the point that personal vehicles won't be as necessary or prevalent as they are currently.

Brian Elfert
04-23-2015, 10:49 PM
I believe some states want to allow the troopers to check your phone when they pull you over so they can see if you were texting at that moment. Otherwise enforcement can be a real challenge, though if I'm a passenger, I

There are a lot of people who say they will refuse to unlock their phone for law enforcement. They are afraid the officer will look at a lot more than just if they sent a text or not. Really, officers don't exactly have the time to dig through phones if they don't already suspect you of a crime in addition to texting while driving.

Larry Edgerton
04-24-2015, 6:49 AM
I had a couple of conversations on Saturday about the modern conveniences that make for hazardous driving. The neighborhood where I live has an annual community garage sale and Saturday was the day. Things I've not seen offered at a garage sale before were present this year. A truck, two motorcycles, a motor home, and (hopefully) a vintage Vette that the owner wasn't aware he wanted to sell until I asked. :D Both couples who were trying to sell a motorcycle, really nice bikes, stated they just don't feel safe riding any longer. They had been riding for years but noticed over the past couple of years a lot more "near misses" and lack of driver awareness and sharing the road.

I sold my collection of street bikes because I no longer felt my safety was in my hands. Too many close calls with cell phone idiots. Rode for over 40 years, and the probability of getting it was going way up with the cell phone explosion.

Interestingly research has shown that hands free phones do not help your concentration on the road, your mind is still on the phone, not the road

Erik Loza
04-25-2015, 5:25 PM
Just happened this morning: A fellow instructor I teach with at our local gym arrived late for event that has happening today. "Sorry, was just in a car accident. Got rear ended by a woman who was texting".

Erik

Phil Thien
04-25-2015, 6:39 PM
Just happened this morning: A fellow instructor I teach with at our local gym arrived late for event that has happening today. "Sorry, was just in a car accident. Got rear ended by a woman who was texting".

Erik

Someone above said "epidemic levels" and I don't think they're far off.

Tom Stenzel
04-26-2015, 9:50 AM
I too have a cycle endorsement on my driver's license but haven't ridden a motorcycle in a few decades now. The way people drive nowa...

I'll have to finish later. The light turned green.

-Tom

Phil Thien
04-26-2015, 10:16 AM
I too have a cycle endorsement on my driver's license but haven't ridden a motorcycle in a few decades now. The way people drive nowa...

I'll have to finish later. The light turned green.

-Tom

LOL, you got me.

James Tibbetts
04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
I vote this approach should be applied.......................to their thumbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Stenzel
04-26-2015, 12:23 PM
LOL, you got me.We haven't had a good coffee meets monitor moment in awhile.

I remember over 10 years ago on a beautiful Sunday morning like today I rode my bicycle through a neighborhood to a nearby park. On the side streets three cars passed by. All three drivers had cell phones stuck to their ears. When I got home I told my wife I was going for a drive so I could call someone!

As bad as texting is, at least you don't have to do it while driving. When it's the CAR that's distracting you, what can you do?My 18 year old Saturn is now gone. My wife got a new car, I got the hand me down Chevy minivan. The radio on it has a myriad of buttons, features and other dopey stuff. I find it takes a lot of eye time off the road just to change a station. I can't imagine what mayhem is going on in cars with those digital displays that do everything.

Back in the '80s a friend of mine worked for BOC (Buick-Oldsmobile-Cadillac) Engineering. One of their workers had a test car with a digital control screen in it, he ran into a bridge abutment and almost died. When they asked him what happened, turns out he was trying to set the HVAC and had his eyes off the road. GM did a study on how much time was spent looking at those screens to operate the car. When the results came in they abandoned digital screen controls. Screens only showed up at GM after the people that remembered that had left or retired.

Now in dash screens are regarded as a GREAT THING, What are people smoking? Between cell phone calls, texting, obtuse car controls I'm taking the bus. When a car hits it at least it's big.

-Tom

Scott Shepherd
04-26-2015, 1:07 PM
Now in dash screens are regarded as a GREAT THING, What are people smoking? Between cell phone calls, texting, obtuse car controls I'm taking the bus. When a car hits it at least it's big.

-Tom

Errr.....maybe they are designing them in Colorado now ;)

We rented a car not too long ago and got upgraded to their premium vehicle that had all that stuff on it. I was driving the entire trip, and after about 10 minutes, I stopped and delegated all controls to the passenger. It was too much information, too many buttons, too much navigation through the system to keep focused on the road. I was a bit shocked that anyone thought they had implemented a nice integrated system. I imagine if I owned that vehicle, I'd probably have wrecked it by now just trying to change the radio station.

Len Mullin
04-26-2015, 6:20 PM
It's not a real hard thing to do, just turn your phone off before get into your car. Turn it back on when you get out, any calls you've missed will be listed for you to check back on.
Len

John Coloccia
04-26-2015, 7:07 PM
I sold my collection of street bikes because I no longer felt my safety was in my hands. Too many close calls with cell phone idiots. Rode for over 40 years, and the probability of getting it was going way up with the cell phone explosion.

Interestingly research has shown that hands free phones do not help your concentration on the road, your mind is still on the phone, not the road

I gave up riding a few years ago. I just sold my last bike a few months ago. It's the first time in 20 years that I haven't owned a bike. I got tired of almost getting hit almost every day. Just wasn't worth it anymore. Now that I have kids, I had to take the final step and get rid of the bike.

Mike Cutler
04-26-2015, 9:32 PM
Mike - Hey - been a while. You doin OK, I assume?

Anyway - on the single-vehicle accidents..........If I could be assured that entire class of morons would only take out inanimate objects [trees, for example] at high velocities, then I would applaud - Darwinism at work. Cull the gene pool.

Ken

I've been doing pretty good lately. It will be nice to get back to some wood working.

Apparently, according to my friends, they run off the road, usually into the center median. Not hitting other pcars, just running off the road.:confused:

Back on the subject of texting while driving. I saw a car hit the shopping cart return cage in a Target parking lot today. There were three of us watching it unfold, none of us moved. Sure enough, head down, texting,,,,,, BANG!!.
It's actually kind of scary seeing someone text while you're walking through the parking lot.

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Back on the subject of texting while driving. I saw a car hit the shopping cart return cage in a Target parking lot today. There were three of us watching it unfold, none of us moved. Sure enough, head down, texting,,,,,, BANG!!.
It's actually kind of scary seeing someone text while you're walking through the parking lot.

That is amazing. Parking lots require extra vigilance these days, IMO, with the huge growth in small SUV/crossover vehicles. You cannot see the oncoming traffic as you back out of your spot, when you are sandwiched between two of them. And now - people cruising the driving lanes with their heads down. That can't be good.

Good to have you back, Mike. See you in the funny pages...........

mike mcilroy
04-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Too many people pull off to the shoulder where there is no shoulder and block half of the lane or pull over to the shoulder at a stop sign to safely text. I see this while driving all the time and I have a corner lot and see it out my window 3 or 4 times a day. They can't wait 2 minutes to pull into a parking lot or gas station. Its me,me me to hell with everyone else.
Can't sit in a waiting room, break room or on a bus without hearing other people's drama that most people would be embarassed about let alone airing it out in public.
Rant over... No wait. You kids get off my lawn.
There thats better.

Gary Yoder
04-27-2015, 6:06 AM
The crazy thing about distractions while driving is deceptive they are. Unless you just "Don't Do It Ever!", You can completely not realize how far your mind is from driving until it's too late.
I once had a lady driving beside me down the Interstate- on the phone. I varied my speed anywhere from 60 to 90 mph, and she just stayed right there, oblivious to the speed change.

Scott Shepherd
04-27-2015, 8:13 AM
I varied my speed anywhere from 60 to 90 mph, and she just stayed right there, oblivious to the speed change.

When I'm driving and come upon a situation, like smooth running traffic in all lanes and then the lane I'm in suddenly decides to go 10 mph under the speed limit, I almost always say "Bet their on the phone". Pull into another lane, speed up to the speed limit, pass the lead car causing the backup, and sure enough, I'd say at least 90% of the time, it's someone on the phone. I wish someone would do a study on it because someone that's doing the speed limit for 30 minutes straight can suddenly drop 10 mph under the limit as soon as they get on the phone. It's so obvious to people not doing it.

Mike Cutler
04-27-2015, 8:27 AM
That is amazing. Parking lots require extra vigilance these days, IMO, with the huge growth in small SUV/crossover vehicles. You cannot see the oncoming traffic as you back out of your spot, when you are sandwiched between two of them. And now - people cruising the driving lanes with their heads down. That can't be good.

Kent

This person didn't back into it. They hit it broad side. Caught it with the right front bumper and headlight.
I guess it's lucky that they only took out the cart storage thing and didn't hit a car.

On the personal side;
I probably have another 4-6 months before the Doc gives me the green light to do any wood working. As soon as I'm done rehabbing the right shoulder, they're going to go in and fix the left. What's funny is right before the surgery I was yanking 175# propane cylinders into the truck, but I couldn't raise my arm above the shoulder with any weight, or it would collapse. I tried running the table saw, but the vibration going into the shoulder was just way too painful.
It's been a long two years.:(

Phil Thien
04-27-2015, 8:36 AM
When I'm driving and come upon a situation, like smooth running traffic in all lanes and then the lane I'm in suddenly decides to go 10 mph under the speed limit, I almost always say "Bet their on the phone". Pull into another lane, speed up to the speed limit, pass the lead car causing the backup, and sure enough, I'd say at least 90% of the time, it's someone on the phone. I wish someone would do a study on it because someone that's doing the speed limit for 30 minutes straight can suddenly drop 10 mph under the limit as soon as they get on the phone. It's so obvious to people not doing it.

I've noticed the same thing and when I pass them, it seems they're in some sort of trance. They aren't driving and talking on the phone, they're talking on the phone and driving (if that makes sense).

Larry Browning
04-27-2015, 10:11 AM
It's not a real hard thing to do, just turn your phone off before get into your car. Turn it back on when you get out, any calls you've missed will be listed for you to check back on.
Len
This may not be a hard thing for you, but to the social media/texting addicted it is next to impossible. The thought of not being connected for even a few minutes approaches the unthinkable for them. I have experienced the wrath of my own household recently, when the wireless router died and nobody could get on internet. When I suggested that I would order a new one from Amazon on Monday from work, rather than going into town right then to get another one at Best Buy, you would have thought I had suggested that we all spend the night outside in a cardboard box. Needless to say, we had the new router in place within a couple of hours.

My point is that being connected 24/7 is quickly becoming perceived as an absolute necessity. Today, most of us cannot conceive being without electricity in our house. As soon as the power goes out, we start to panic. A hundred years this would have not been much of a problem.

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
My point is that being connected 24/7 is quickly becoming perceived as an absolute necessity.

I was in a 3 hour class yesterday afternoon. I put my phone on vibrate and stuck it in my purse under the table. The only reason I left it on is that my dad has been in and out of the hospital recently. Of the 6 people in the class, and I was the youngest, no one else bothered to turn off the ringer, much less the phone. It was as if the instructor was less important than the person on the other end of the call. I thought it extremely rude of them. One lady on the front row texted repeatedly during the class.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2015, 11:15 AM
I never had a personal cell phone until my sudden deafness caused me to retire. The gigantic corporation I worked for provided one until then though we were limited to business use only. My wife travels much more than I do and since I was deaf, we elected to get smart phones the day we retired. We could text when she was out of town.

We have since upgraded them one time. The ONLY time I turn mine on regularly is when my wife is out of town. Otherwise every month or so, I remember to pull it out of a drawer and charge it. While I have given the number to a couple people, I INSIST they realize that I seldom turn it on. I can tell you with certainty that I went from mid-August of last year until mid-December of last year wihout turning the cell phone on. We changed carriers and got new cell phones in mid-December. We had a DIL, 3 grandkids under the ages of 4, a dog and a cat living with us for those 4 months. My wife didn't leave and I had no reason to turn that phone on.

Larry Browning
04-27-2015, 11:26 AM
I was in a 3 hour class yesterday afternoon. I put my phone on vibrate and stuck it in my purse under the table. The only reason I left it on is that my dad has been in and out of the hospital recently. Of the 6 people in the class, and I was the youngest, no one else bothered to turn off the ringer, much less the phone. It was as if the instructor was less important than the person on the other end of the call. I thought it extremely rude of them. One lady on the front row texted repeatedly during the class.
This is becoming more the norm than the exception.
In my mind, this mindset of feeling the need be connected and reachable at all times is the biggest obstacle to getting people to stop the texting while driving.

Larry Browning
04-27-2015, 11:38 AM
I never had a personal cell phone until my sudden deafness caused me to retire. The gigantic corporation I worked for provided one until then though we were limited to business use only. My wife travels much more than I do and since I was deaf, we elected to get smart phones the day we retired. We could text when she was out of town.

We have since upgraded them one time. The ONLY time I turn mine on regularly is when my wife is out of town. Otherwise every month or so, I remember to pull it out of a drawer and charge it. While I have given the number to a couple people, I INSIST they realize that I seldom turn it on. I can tell you with certainty that I went from mid-August of last year until mid-December of last year wihout turning the cell phone on. We changed carriers and got new cell phones in mid-December. We had a DIL, 3 grandkids under the ages of 4, a dog and a cat living with us for those 4 months. My wife didn't leave and I had no reason to turn that phone on.
Ken, you do realize you are the exception to the way most of the civilized world uses cell phones. Most people get very nervous and uncomfortable when they realize they can't be reached or can't communicate with others. I have received, notices from friends and relatives apologizing for not responding to messages for the past few hour, due to some technical malfunction, even though I hadn't even tried to contact them. I can remember a time when it was a normal thing to be unreachable for several days and no one give it a second thought. Today, people want to file a missing persons report when someone doesn't respond to a text for an hour.

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Ken, you do realize you are the exception to the way most of the civilized world uses cell phones. Most people get very nervous and uncomfortable when they realize they can't be reached or can't communicate with others. I have received, notices from friends and relatives apologizing for not responding to messages for the past few hour, due to some technical malfunction, even though I hadn't even tried to contact them. I can remember a time when it was a normal thing to be unreachable for several days and no one give it a second thought. Today, people want to file a missing persons report when someone doesn't respond to a text for an hour.

Larry,
I use my cell, unfortunately, more now than in the past. I'm a dinosaur and texting just annoys me, but for work purposes that is becoming almost a requirement. On the weekends, I don't carry a phone most of the time. When I walk in the door of my house, I put the phone away.

Larry Browning
04-27-2015, 1:24 PM
Larry,
I use my cell, unfortunately, more now than in the past. I'm a dinosaur and texting just annoys me.....
Me too! I absolutely HATE to text!
I really don't know why these things called "SmartPHONES" even have the word phone in the name. Most people under the age of 35 hardly ever use the phone feature. I asked one of the younger colleagues here at work when was the last time he actually used his as a phone. He couldn't say for sure, but he thought it might have been 2 weeks ago, when his mom called.

I just don't get the big attraction of texting over voice. It just seem so impersonal to me. Why in the world would you want to text someone, when you could actually talk to them? It is a much slower form of communication, and how do you know you are communicating with the person you think you are? I can't tell you how many times SWMBO has texted back and forth with one of our children on my phone pretending she was me. My kids think I text them all the time.

I know all the young people are just rolling their eyes right now, thinking about how out of touch with reality I am. One of these days I will die off (probably killed by a texting driver) and you won't have to listen to my rantings. That will be just in time for you to take my place, with your rantings about how great things were back in 2015 when we had cell phone.

Pat Barry
04-27-2015, 1:45 PM
Me too! I absolutely HATE to text!
I really don't know why these things called "SmartPHONES" even have the word phone in the name. Most people under the age of 35 hardly ever use the phone feature. I asked one of the younger colleagues here at work when was the last time he actually used his as a phone. He couldn't say for sure, but he thought it might have been 2 weeks ago, when his mom called.

I just don't get the big attraction of texting over voice. It just seem so impersonal to me. Why in the world would you want to text someone, when you could actually talk to them? It is a much slower form of communication, and how do you know you are communicating with the person you think you are? I can't tell you how many times SWMBO has texted back and forth with one of our children on my phone pretending she was me. My kids think I text them all the time.

I know all the young people are just rolling their eyes right now, thinking about how out of touch with reality I am. One of these days I will die off (probably killed by a texting driver) and you won't have to listen to my rantings. That will be just in time for you to take my place, with your rantings about how great things were back in 2015 when we had cell phone.
The thing is, the original dinosaurs were clueless to their pending demise. At least you can see yours. LOL

Scott Shepherd
04-27-2015, 1:58 PM
I just don't get the big attraction of texting over voice. It just seem so impersonal to me. Why in the world would you want to text someone, when you could actually talk to them? It is a much slower form of communication,

Well, that was the original intent, I think. I'm not a huge texter, I don't even have a text plan, so it costs me money to text, outside of the apple network, but I think done right, texts can be fantastic. Your wife wants to tell you to pick up something on the way home from work and instead of bothering you at work, she can send a text message and you can read it when it's convenient for you.

Now, if people used it like that, it would be different :)

Just this morning on the way to work, my light turned green, I did a u-turn, only to see a car coming from another direction sitting about 5 cars back from the light, with a line of cars behind it, and the driver looking down. Everyone say there and no one beeped their horn, so they all missed the light. I beeped my horn and they looked up, realized what they had done and pulled up to the light.

Jerome Stanek
04-27-2015, 2:06 PM
I have had a cell phone since 89 and only use it for emergencies. I bought it as a convenience for when I had my business. Back then phone minutes were high I think I paid like 52 cents a minute but that saved me a lot as I was in buildings that didn't have phone lines yet. Now it is just habit to carry it.

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 2:13 PM
That will be just in time for you to take my place, with your rantings about how great things were back in 2015 when we had cell phone.

Actually, Larry, you are correct. Current studies on brain to brain communication. Boy, don't we all need that. You're sitting in the back of your robocar, minding your own business, when the wife buzzes you up to complain about the cost of your new golf autoclubs . . . and you can't hang up, or pretend that the signal isn't good, or anything else . . . she's right there inside your head. Ah, then we will wish for the good old days of smart phones.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-brain-brain-communication-no-longer-unthinkable-180954948/

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 2:21 PM
Well, that was the original intent, I think. I'm not a huge texter, I don't even have a text plan, so it costs me money to text, outside of the apple network, but I think done right, texts can be fantastic. Your wife wants to tell you to pick up something on the way home from work and instead of bothering you at work, she can send a text message and you can read it when it's convenient for you.

Now, if people used it like that, it would be different :)

Gospel truth right there! My assistant at work is polite texter. It's worse than trying to hang up the phone with your grandma. Typical conversation.
I'm on my way. Do y'all want biscuits?
Yes.
What kind? (We ALWAYS get the same kind)
The usual.
Okay.
Thanks.
Welcome.

I'm stuck in the drive thru so I'll be a few late.
Okay.
Thanks. See you soon.

We could have had that conversation in less than 2 minutes. And the thing that drives me the craziest is that we are having the conversation while she is driving on the interstate with her 3 year old in the back seat.

Scott Shepherd
04-27-2015, 3:00 PM
MMmmmm biscuits....:) Hardee's? Bojangles? Ummm.....now I'm hungry.

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 3:29 PM
MMmmmm biscuits....:) Hardee's? Bojangles? Ummm.....now I'm hungry.

Years ago, before Bojangles came to Savannah, I was a die hard Bojangles girl from my days of living in Augusta. Somewhere between me leaving Augusta, and Bojangle's coming to Savannah, they changed their cooking oil to some of that "healthy" stuff that tastes nasty and leaves you feeling like you've been eating wax (best way I know to describe it). So, right now I'm a Hardee's girl. Now mind you, this isn't an every day thing. There is a pattern to it that she thinks I haven't figured out. If she is running late already, she asks about biscuits, so then she has an excuse for being late. When she returns from maternity leave in May, and has a 3 year old and a new born, I'm guessing I'm going to be eating a lot of biscuits. Sorry, didn't mean to veer from the original intent. I now return you to your originally scheduled programming.

Dave Anderson NH
04-27-2015, 4:00 PM
I too am a dinosaur. I have a dumb phone issued by my job and have turned down invitations to upgrade to a smart phone. I don't text at all and in fact had texting disabled when I got the phone 6 years ago to replace an earlier model. I do have voicemail and use it. To me a phone of any kind is an intrusion into my way of life. I sit on a computer much of each day at work and find that with a combination of emails, video conferencing, and actually talking on the phone I accomplish all that needs to be done.

When I get home my phone gets turned off and I'll catch any voicemails the next morning. I have no desire to be available 24/67 even to family members. Yes, I'm out of step with the modern world and I like it like that.

I teach a hand tools use class every other month for our NH guild. My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text. I'm a volunteer, my classes are free to members and guests and I do not have to, and will not put up with rudeness. At first I got some strange looks when explaining my policy but everyone seems to be fine with it now. In fact, I think that it was a relief to most of the group.

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2015, 4:26 PM
I too am a dinosaur. I have a dumb phone issued by my job and have turned down invitations to upgrade to a smart phone. I don't text at all and in fact had texting disabled when I got the phone 6 years ago to replace an earlier model. I do have voicemail and use it. To me a phone of any kind is an intrusion into my way of life. I sit on a computer much of each day at work and find that with a combination of emails, video conferencing, and actually talking on the phone I accomplish all that needs to be done.

When I get home my phone gets turned off and I'll catch any voicemails the next morning. I have no desire to be available 24/67 even to family members. Yes, I'm out of step with the modern world and I like it like that.

I teach a hand tools use class every other month for our NH guild. My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text. I'm a volunteer, my classes are free to members and guests and I do not have to, and will not put up with rudeness. At first I got some strange looks when explaining my policy but everyone seems to be fine with it now. In fact, I think that it was a relief to most of the group.

Couldn't have said it better myself. When I leave work I don't want to hear a phone ring. I have a landline for my parents to reach me when I am home, partially because I just like having it, and partially because they have trouble hearing me if I call from my cell. I am an expert at ignoring phones that belong to me. On the rare occasion I do any sort of teaching I issue one warning, usually the first thing out of my mouth, and that's it. I have been known to actually walk away from people if they insist on taking a phone call while in a conversation with me - unless it is from one of their young children or some other such possible emergency. I really, really like not being connected. My drive time is my regroup and relax time. I can't imagine feeling the need to text or talk for the entire drive home.

Kev Williams
04-27-2015, 10:55 PM
I've had a not-too-popular idea about phones and driving for years:

Aside from 911 calls, make cell phones NOT WORK above 8 mph. You won't even be able to talk on a bicycle. Which is fine with me.
But okay to make 'em work above 220mph. Then they'll work on airplanes...

But the outcry I always get: "But what about the passengers??"

Too bad. There's 720 minutes in a day. There's nothing so important that 2 or 3 of those minutes can't be spent locating a place to STOP to use your stupid phone.

If you don't have time to pull over to talk safely, then your priorities are screwed up. Just my opinion...

There's a Chevy commercial on lately, and I absolutely cringe at the girl who says:
"It's a dream to have WIFI in the car!"

http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/banghead.gif

Kent A Bathurst
04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Kent

On the personal side;
I probably have another 4-6 months before the Doc gives me the green light to do any wood working. As soon as I'm done rehabbing the right shoulder, they're going to go in and fix the left. :(

Dude - this is eerie - my right shoulder started hurting 4 months ago..went to the top Ortho guys in Atlanta - I have frequent flyer miles with them - turns out that the muscle from the arm to the clavicle got injured somehow, sometime, tore, separated, and it not even there today. 30 days and they go in to reroute muscles in the general area to replace/simulate it.........."6 weeks immobilized, followed by months of rehab"..........

You and I should hook up and do our simulation of the Rev War guys - drum, fife, crutch, bandages......

I can bang a drum left handed. You?

Kent A Bathurst
04-27-2015, 11:10 PM
My warnings to class members are infamous. Cell phones off or on vibrate. No texting, no talking on the phone. Class members are warned at the beginning that they will be asked to leave and not return if the phone rings or they decide to text.

If that is the one-and-only thing they remember from the class when they get home, you done good, Dave.

Ole Anderson
04-28-2015, 1:08 AM
As has been said, having a phone at your constant beck and call is becoming the norm, not the exception. Just look around. It is as addictive as smokes or booze. I don't see that changing, so we need to learn to accept it and learn to deal with it in a safe manner. It is not just my 15 year old granddaughter, it is her grandmother. Take her phone away and you would think you cut off her right arm. Texting, scrabble with a dozen friends and relatives (I had no idea either of my boys would play scrabble online with their mother). Surfing Facebook and her knitting forums. Ask a random question and she looks up the answer on Google (OK she was a librarian). All day. She would much rather text than talk on the phone. Before she gets out of bed, she is surfing on her smart phone, checking weather, emails, games and so on. I get her old iPhone every two years when she is eligible for a new one. I charge mine every other day, she has to charge hers at least once a day. Frankly, it sounds like I am complaining, but she loves it so much I wouldn't have it any other way.

My son is an otherwise excellent driver and has keeps his old CDL active, but drives me nuts when he drives and texts. I can't ground him, he is 42 now. At least he uses the voice command to text which I am sure helps a little. I have absolutely no problem making texting and driving illegal.

Why text you ask? Because you can send a text without worrying if they are at the phone or if it is a bad time, you know a brief message has been sent. You have a record of it. You can attach a photo. You can send the same message to several persons. You don't have to worry about getting dragged into a long conversation. A text can be as simple as a simple acknowledgment like "K" or "loaf of bread", it is not a long conversation.

Larry Browning
04-28-2015, 9:03 AM
Why text you ask? Because you can send a text without worrying if they are at the phone or if it is a bad time, you know a brief message has been sent. You have a record of it. You can attach a photo. You can send the same message to several persons. You don't have to worry about getting dragged into a long conversation. A text can be as simple as a simple acknowledgment like "K" or "loaf of bread", it is not a long conversation.

All of that is well and good, I suppose. But it is still so incredibly impersonal. You may have a record of it, but did the person on the receiving end really receive it? Or was it someone else pretending to be the person you are wanting to communicate with? How do I really know that Ole and not his Smartphone addicted grandmother is the one reading and responding to this thread?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2015, 9:26 AM
Texting has it's place but not while driving!

On the down side of texting.......... in Mattoon, IL yesterday, a 7 year old boy was hit by a car and died after being transported to the Carle Clinic in Champaign. The 17 year old driver was cited as it is believed by police she was texting when she struck the child......

Pat Barry
04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Texting has it's place but not while driving!

On the down side of texting.......... in Mattoon, IL yesterday, a 7 year old boy was hit by a car and died after being transported to the Carle Clinic in Champaign. The 17 year old driver was cited as it is believed by police she was texting when she struck the child......
Texting while driving is already illegal in Minnesota. Is it legal in Illinois? What else can we do except make it illegal everywhere? By the way, I do not like Kev's idea (above). If I'm a passenger I better be able to use my phone or tablet and ALL of its functionality. Making the thing not work at speeds over 8 mph is purely ludicrous

Marvin Hasenak
04-28-2015, 6:57 PM
I haven't driven in over 11 years, medical reasons I am blind in one eye and have limited use of my legs. I can verify the hands free phone is not much safer than holding ot to your ear or a Bluetooth. In the last 11 years I have rode with 100's of people, the phone is a distraction, regardless of whether it s hands free or not. Texting, not when I am in the car, I always have my walker with me, I will get out and walk if they attempt to text. All I have to do is scream STOP, then I get my walker and get out. It only takes once and they get the message. By now all of the people I ride with know it, and they sure won't test me on whether I have changed my mind.

As the passenger, I get to see the idiots in the next car, taking on a phone, texting, eating, putting on makeup, you name it and I have seen it. If you ride passenger in a pickup long enough you might even see porn, been there and saw that. I am like a copilot telling my regular driver which is my wife about the idiots to look out for. 2 weeks ago I watched a person rear end the car in front of them, they were texting, we made the block and waited for the police to show up. When the cop asked what I saw, I said, she was texting and ran into the back of the car in front of her. The lady screamed at me she was not texting, the LEO told her the texting record stays on the phone, she admitted she was texting. Justice served.

Phil Thien
04-28-2015, 8:45 PM
Texting while driving is already illegal in Minnesota. Is it legal in Illinois? What else can we do except make it illegal everywhere? By the way, I do not like Kev's idea (above). If I'm a passenger I better be able to use my phone or tablet and ALL of its functionality. Making the thing not work at speeds over 8 mph is purely ludicrous

I have pondered the dilemma of how to disable texting for a phone belonging to a driver.

The idea I came up with was that, if the responsiveness/accuracy of the user was a certain percentage under overall average, and if the phone was travelling at speed (the phone can detect this already), that the phone would disable texting until the trip was over.

But the funny thing is, people might try to circumvent my technique by focusing ALL their attention on the phone, and none on the road.

mike mcilroy
04-28-2015, 9:00 PM
You can make it illegal but selfish people don't care about laws or rules that's for the unimportant people. Probably not going to be enforced much anyway I've seen cops texting while driving their cruisers.

Chris Parks
04-28-2015, 9:20 PM
This is how the police in Western Australia deal with mobile phone use. Note near the end the woman who does not even realise there is a flashing light on a police bike beside her car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8a249J9KYY

Hands free is just as bad as hand held phone use, it is a distraction pure and simple. I defy anyone who has been on a hands free phone call to tell me any details of what happened in the traffic or what they did in their own driving whilst they have been on the phone.

Dick Latshaw
04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
You can make it illegal but selfish people don't care about laws or rules that's for the unimportant people.

You are correct, sir. See it all the time down here. Both in and out of State car tags. (But we like to blame the turistas.:D)

Ole Anderson
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one that on more than one occasion all of a sudden realized, that my driving has been on cruise control for at least a minute at a time? Then I realize I had been so distracted with my own thoughts of solving a problem I don't remember getting from point A to point B. Distracted only by my own thoughts. But like breathing while you sleep, years of driving keeps you in your lane, spaces you from cars around you and unconsciously obeys traffic lights. All the time with your eyes on the road, unlike looking at your phone to call up a phone number or to read or compose a text. And answering a hands free phone, or even saying "call wife" isn't anywhere as distracting as picking up your phone and making or receiving a call, I don't care that others say differently. My in car phone use is at most a couple of times a week, and it is now hands free thanks to auto manufacturer use of Bluetooth.

I am not defending texting while driving, but different people have varying abilities to multi-task and experience driving plays a huge difference. Remember how you had to concentrate without distraction to just stay in a lane when you first started driving and now you don't? So combine kids having little driving experience with their propensity to overuse their phone and you have a recipe for double trouble.

Phil Thien
04-28-2015, 11:01 PM
I am not defending texting while driving, but different people have varying abilities to multi-task and experience driving plays a huge difference. Remember how you had to concentrate without distraction to just stay in a lane when you first started driving and now you don't? So combine kids having little driving experience with their propensity to overuse their phone and you have a recipe for double trouble.

People can't multitask, they just think they can (and they're counting on no sudden changes in traffic):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

I'm not militant about drivers using phones. A quick call here and there seems like it could be done safely.

But talking on the phone non-stop (while driving) is akin to having an elevated blood alcohol level.

mike mcilroy
04-29-2015, 3:08 AM
When others lives are at stake multi tasking is understating this problem. Once again selfish actions by those who see only their instant gratification.

Scott Shepherd
04-29-2015, 8:02 AM
People can't multitask, they just think they can (and they're counting on no sudden changes in traffic):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

I'm not militant about drivers using phones. A quick call here and there seems like it could be done safely.

But talking on the phone non-stop (while driving) is akin to having an elevated blood alcohol level.

Some show did a program on that in the UK. I don't remember if it was one of those Brain Games shows or what (I think it was). A guy spent his days on the road, "multitasking" with all the gear to allow him to be hands free. He told friends and family how good he was at multitasking. Then they put him to the test and actually measured his awareness and reaction times in various conditions, with and without the phone, etc, and they found that no matter how great he thought he was, it severely impacted his driving ability.

Pat Barry
04-29-2015, 8:37 AM
Am I the only one that on more than one occasion all of a sudden realized, that my driving has been on cruise control for at least a minute at a time? Then I realize I had been so distracted with my own thoughts of solving a problem I don't remember getting from point A to point B. Distracted only by my own thoughts. But like breathing while you sleep, years of driving keeps you in your lane, spaces you from cars around you and unconsciously obeys traffic lights. All the time with your eyes on the road, unlike looking at your phone to call up a phone number or to read or compose a text. And answering a hands free phone, or even saying "call wife" isn't anywhere as distracting as picking up your phone and making or receiving a call, I don't care that others say differently. My in car phone use is at most a couple of times a week, and it is now hands free thanks to auto manufacturer use of Bluetooth.

As you are saying Ole, we all do multi-task in this way ALL THE TIME. Driving is a skill, much like walking, that we all learn to do without cognizant thinking - you know, we aren't fully engaged in every decision made while driving. Only a real beginner has to to think about every single move. I like you have driven miles and miles and never thought about it consciously once. But, once you mind picks up on a problem (bird flying across the road in front of you for example, or encountering an inattentive driver ahead of you), your focus quickly goes to the issue at hand and you become instantly oblivious to your previous thoughts. People can't multitask wherein they have to simultaneously think about two discrete problems at one time, even a computer can't do that (OK - not a single processor - a multiprocessor could with the right software). Good drivers also recognize their surroundings and adapt their attentiveness as required, for example driving on a city street with kids present you just know sooner or later one of them or their dog is going to run into the road ahead of you, so you look for trouble like that. Is it possible that you can be oblivious, just because you happen to be talking on the phone at that time? Probably or possibly, it depends on who we are talking about.

Chris Padilla
04-30-2015, 5:39 PM
But it is still so incredibly impersonal.

Each to their own in defining 'impersonal' but how does this one strike you?

I send out Christmas cards every year. I missed 2014 and it was the first time in a very long time. We just never got it together to take a picture for the card so we said, forget it. My wife and even had the whole month of December off...didn't happen for some reason.

Anyway, my Christmas cards are this: family photo, printed at Costco, printed with some message and the year. The address and return labels are all pre-printed, too. Then we stuff 'em in an envelope...no signing...no other message...no nothing...stamp...shove 'em in the mailbox...hope they get there on time. So you get a family pic once a year...except for 2014. :D

I love texting...fun stuff. Adding pics and funny things is nice. I like it because it is not intrusive if you let it be not intrusive. You answer it in your own time and there are usually no sounds associated with it so it is usually quiet. It is great for lists of things like groceries. Great to send pics of "Do you like this shirt...it is on sale." My wife texts my daughter pics of clothes all the time when she is shopping since my daughter rarely goes shopping with her mother any more. It works.

However, I fully agree about driving. Driving requires full attention or people die. We are already too distracted in the car. While technology has made things worse, technology will also make things better.

Neal Clayton
05-02-2015, 2:13 PM
Awhile back there was an incident in Africa involving a 747 (I think?) pilot texting while taxiing that ended in him plowing the wing into a hangar, can't find the video for the life of me, though.