PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly sliding table saw attachment

Scott Brandstetter
04-19-2015, 8:59 PM
Does anyone have this or have an opinion on this attachment? Is this type of add on used for boards such as 1 x 6, 1 x 12? Why use this vs a miter saw. I am asking because I am not sure how this is used.

William A Johnston
04-19-2015, 9:37 PM
I don't own one but last weekend I went to the Grizzly showroom in Springfield Mo and I did see this attachment. It is very sturdy and slides easily. It seams like the actual mitre gauge is lacking as it has a lot of play. I don't think it would take the place of a true slider saw. I could see using it for squaring up plywood that is already cut into smaller sections or glued up panel's that are wider than a miter box saw. It also sticks out in front of the saw a foot or so and ur forced to stay directly in front of the blade.

Its a neat idea and I'm sure it would be a handy add on to have instead of a table saw sled.

Bob Potter
04-19-2015, 9:55 PM
Hi Scott
I bought this sliding table almost two years ago and I really love it. You can cross cut up to 48" and very safely. I have it on a 28 yr old Delta contractor saw. This is mounted in the holes where the left table extension goes.
The sliding table is very smooth with no side play and moves very easy back and forth.
The miter gage fence that comes with it is made very heavy but does not work very good unless by now they may have improved it. The problem with the fence is it does not lock into 90 or 45 without some play.You have to square it up and than tighten down the locking handles. So every time you take the fence off of the of the slider you have to square it up. Also the flip stop has about an 1/8 inch play left to right so you have to also square it up before locking it down.
What I did was get a 27" to 49" fence from Incra with there flip stop and mounted it to a 24" by 48" 3/8 plywood with a wooden miter bar that goes into the miter slot on the table saw which keeps it lined up at 90 degrees no matter how many times it is taken off and put back on. There is also a handle and short bar that goes into the slider and this locks the whole thing down square.
The nice thing about this is that like a real slider the plywood is right next to the blade making zero clearance. And with this you know exactly where your cut line is and there is support for what ever your cutting.
Now I hope that with all these word I don't have you thoroughly confused. I know that pictures of my slider would probably make it much clearer and I would be glad to post some.
Even with the messed up miter gage fence this is a good slider. It makes cross cutting big or even small pcs much easier and safer and yes I would buy it again.
My Son in law welded some support pcs that are bolted to the front and back of the saw to support the support legs. Therefore when I move the saw on it's mobile base it all works together.

Hope this helps, Bob

steve joly
04-20-2015, 9:08 PM
I also have it and love it. It adds another level of accuracy and safety. I often clamp jigs onto it so I can get repeatable cuts. The fence could use a little improving however it works fine you just have to take your time to set it up. I'm in the process of making a cross cut jig that will use the sliding table and an 80/20 linear bearing attaching to my fence. I think that will give me the quick setup for perfect 90 degree cross cuts.

I recommend the sliding table it's a great investment for those of us without the need, money, or space for a true sliding table saw.