PDA

View Full Version : Exterior paint options with HVLP

scott vroom
04-19-2015, 1:52 PM
I'm looking to convert an old dining room credenza into outdoor patio service. It's for our daughter and only needs to hold up for a year or 2 max, then off to the landfill. To save time, I'd like to spray a suitable exterior pigmented paint using my Fuji 4-stage HVLP. Any suggestions on brand/type that could be thinned and sprayed with reasonable results? I'm assuming one of the many acrylics out there? Again, only needs to hold up for up to 2 years in our mild SF Bay Area climate.

Many thanks

John Schweikert
04-19-2015, 2:01 PM
I have a Fuji Gold 4 stage. Used Behr exterior on my garden shed. Worked perfectly. I always dilute acrylic latex paint with water and floetrol for spraying. My formula is about 3oz each and then fill to 32oz total with paint. Stir and pour. I now use the 3M cups with my Fuji guns.

Peter Quinn
04-19-2015, 3:49 PM
General finishes milk paints are rated for exterior and can be sprayed with hvlp using a 1.8mm tip, might have to thin just a bit or use their WB reducer/extender, though they say it can be sprayed right out of the can. I used it once, decent finish, didn't use for exterior, did have to thin just a bit.

Matthew Hills
04-19-2015, 4:14 PM
General finishes milk paints spray pretty well without any thinner (I bought an earlex, used the bigger aperture that came with it, and refinished a desk for my son this past winter)

https://generalfinishes.com/videos/how-to-spray-general-finishes-milk-paint#.VTQMUs40ZhA

I've also seen them say that they are rated for outdoor use, but I don't have any experience with outdoor durability.

Matt

Rich Engelhardt
04-19-2015, 4:33 PM
Any exterior or interior/exterior product will hold up for a couple of years.

To save some $$, hit the borgs or a local paint store and see what they have on their mis-tint pile.
Just make sure you buy enough to do the whole project.

Jason Roehl
04-19-2015, 6:45 PM
Any exterior or interior/exterior product will hold up for a couple of years.

To save some $$, hit the borgs or a local paint store and see what they have on their mis-tint pile.
Just make sure you buy enough to do the whole project.

Another inexpensive option would be looking at a Habitat ReStore.

Normally, I would strongly recommend against thinning exterior paint, but since you're only looking to get a couple years out of it...

scott vroom
04-22-2015, 3:29 PM
Ended up going with Benjamin Moore "Ben" exterior acrylic, diluted ~15% with water. Sprayed very nicely with the Fuji 1.5mm tip.

Thanks for the advice.