PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw info

Scott Cenicola
04-19-2015, 9:47 AM
Anyone familiar with Precision brand band saws? A Google search turned up very little. Thinking of this for my first band saw. Like the idea of 18". Thanks.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/4945154141.html

Bill Space
04-19-2015, 9:57 AM
Hi,

For that price I would buy it first and ask questions second! Run don't walk, it's not going to be for sale long unless there is something wrong with it that the buyer is not disclosing in the add.

Mike Cutler
04-19-2015, 10:07 AM
I gotta agree with Bill.
It looks like some type of a beefy Delta clone.

If the frame isn't cracked, the motor turns on, the wheels turn and the blade tracks any where near close enough. Buy it.

glenn bradley
04-19-2015, 10:08 AM
The picture looks like the standard Delta 14" cast iron clone scaled up. Very interesting and worth a visit and probably a buy unless there is something really odd about it. I had to finally dump a 14" clone years back because it was just enough different that I could get parts. Bearings and such are not a concern as they can be had over the counter. Table trunnions, table, frame, wheels and guide post would be my first check. then saw something if possible. If it functions reasonably well, I'd take it. If nothing more it will give you some service and teach you what you really want in a bandsaw if you decide to upgrade.

Phil Thien
04-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I think Grizzly had one just like it, but it wasn't very favorably reviewed.

IIRC, the resaw height was somewhat limited for a saw of its size.

Peter Kelly
04-19-2015, 1:05 PM
I've tried to use the Reliant-branded version of the same machine years ago. Vibrated like crazy, tons of drift, etc. No matter what you did to did to try to fix things it was a pretty hopeless piece of equipment.

Might be worth a look, just be prepared to walk away from it. $225 is probably asking a lot.

Scott Cenicola
04-19-2015, 1:18 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I left a message this morning, haven't heard back yet. Maybe gone?

daryl moses
04-19-2015, 3:52 PM
I would be a bit concerned with that piece of wood that looks like it's holding things together........

John Lanciani
04-19-2015, 3:58 PM
It's just another example of an early 80's Tiawanese generic saw. It is an orphan and parts are basically unobtainium so to me it's only worth scrap weight. I wouldn't pay more than $100 if it is in perfect running condition.

Mike Cutler
04-19-2015, 6:59 PM
I would be a bit concerned with that piece of wood that looks like it's holding things together........

I think the piece of wood is acting as a blade protector.

daryl moses
04-19-2015, 7:35 PM
I think the piece of wood is acting as a blade protector.
LOL, he must have a very wide blade on that thing then. On my old Delta the blade is recessed almost 2 inches inside that channel.

Mike Cutler
04-19-2015, 8:39 PM
LOL, he must have a very wide blade on that thing then. On my old Delta the blade is recessed almost 2 inches inside that channel.

From the first pic, it looks like the piece of wood has taken the place the channel. It's definitely a little different fro a 14" Delta in that respect.

It's an odd looking duck for certain, but there are only three parts that would worry me;
The casting, the wheels, and the upper wheel arbor yoke. Other than those, the rest of it looks very common. That tension assembly may not be "normal", but easily fixable.
I'm not certain that it would properly tension a 1" blade. The blade tension mechanism looks just like the 14" Delta's, but a little bigger. A person would be doing some serious cranking on that little knob to tension a 1" blade properly.

Curt Harms
04-20-2015, 9:18 AM
From the first pic, it looks like the piece of wood has taken the place the channel. It's definitely a little different fro a 14" Delta in that respect.

It's an odd looking duck for certain, but there are only three parts that would worry me;
The casting, the wheels, and the upper wheel arbor yoke. Other than those, the rest of it looks very common. That tension assembly may not be "normal", but easily fixable.
I'm not certain that it would properly tension a 1" blade. The blade tension mechanism looks just like the 14" Delta's, but a little bigger. A person would be doing some serious cranking on that little knob to tension a 1" blade properly.

Maybe the small tension knob is to protect the blade tensioning mechanism ;). Re max blade width, it seems wise to take the advertised maximum blade width and subtract about 1/4" to determine max usable blade width. E.g. if a saw is rated for 1" blades, plan on 3/4" max. Rated for 3/4" blades, plan on 1/2" max.